Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,385

2 members and 3,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

New baby BP / First time snake owner question

I just got my first ball python, I've had him for a little over 2 weeks. I let him chill for the first week I got him, after that week I held him briefly maybe 5 minutes then about an hour later and offered him a Hooper and he ate it great. The next week I handled him a few times for 10 minutes at a time. Fed him again on friday and he ate great again. (Pre-killed fresh both times) Any way to my questions now, just wanted to give a little detail. Thursday night the night before I fed him last I handled him for a bit with my girlfriend who is trying to get over the fear of snakes. He was great the whole time and slithered around the bed and me, but when my girlfriend finally mustered up the courage to hold the baby 94 gram snake I handed him to her and he pissed and urated on her. Is there any reason for this or did he just have to pee and it worked itself out from being handled. Also once and a while he tries climbing up the sides of the glass trying to escape, is he just a sneaky bastard (wont/will not get out) or is he stressed? Sorry for the rant, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He may of been full and if you don't know how to tell or you don't realize it and you're holding the first half of his body they'll do this. Other then that it's most likely an accident.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Re: New baby BP / First time snake owner question

On the being peed and pooped on issue, it just randomly happens and your gf just got lucky (unless some else has better input on the subject). On the escaping part, my personal opinion is that he's being a sneaky bastard or he might still be hungry. I have a girl that weighs similar to your BP and she eats two mouse hoppers in one meal easily.

One suggestion though: try not to handle your bp on the day of his feeding. If you handle him before you feed him, he might not eat. Definitely don't handle him after he ate because he might throw up his food. Wait at least 36 hours after his meal. I usually wait two days after feeding before handling mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 12-16-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Lemmywinkzz (12-16-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    There are telltale signs that a BP is close to defecating. Mostly a raised tail tip and "sausage tail". Once you see it you'll know exactly what that means!
    Ball pythons: 1.0 Pied, 0.1 Normal het Pied, 1.0 Spider, 0.1 Russo het Luc
    Domestic cats: 0.1 Misty, 0.1 Tootsie, 0.1 Oreo
    Hooded Striped rats: 1.0 General Tso, 1.0 Moo Goo, 0.1 Lo, 0.1 Chow
    Dalmation Dumbo rats: 0.1 Sesame

Thanks

Your GF was just the lucky (unlucky) recipient of a little BP owners right of passage lol. Yes BPs will test to see if they can escape. If they succeed then they will continue to do it. All BPs do it. You can handle the day before feeding with no consequences most of the time. It all depends on the snake. DO NOT handle the day of or for a couple days after feeding. Regurgitation is disgusting and can hurt your BP. I've personally never had a regurgitation (crosses fingers and knocks on wood) a friend did and it was horrible smelling. They are great little creatures though. After he eats does he go into hiding or stay out looking for more food? Good luck with him and her.

Thanks
    Steve climbs his plants every night to check both sides of his cage and see if maybe I left something open. He is very determined. Iwouldnt stress. If any nothing this Is a good time to observe him being active since they are normally hiding or basking

my mom never went to college thank you very much.
    1.0 Normal

Thanks
    And I think everyone above has nailed it on the peepee

1.0 Normal

Thanks
    Thanks for the input everyone. I never handle him after he eats, I actually place his feeding bin half way into his cage and he slithers out and goes into his warm hide. I then leave him alone for 2 days to digest. Should I feed him more than 1 hopper every seven days or step up the next size? (Whatever that may be) Again he's about 94 grams and about a foot long.

Thanks
    If you want him to utilize his full growing potential, you need to consider offering multiple mice every 5 days. He won't eat if he doesn't need it. He knows what he needs. Keep the mice the same size as his body, check out my little boy he is 150g 3 months old and never once force or power fed. He eats two or three large mice every 4-5 days.

1.0 Normal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmywinkzz View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I never handle him after he eats, I actually place his feeding bin half way into his cage and he slithers out and goes into his warm hide. I then leave him alone for 2 days to digest. Should I feed him more than 1 hopper every seven days or step up the next size? (Whatever that may be) Again he's about 94 grams and about a foot long.
    Read my last post, and it sound like your taking proper precautions, and u obviously care which are the first steps. If he doesn't eat right away don't worry. I actually feed Steve in his enclosure but I wouldntvreccomend it. Using a desperate container for dinner time also insures he won't ingest any substrate. But I'm in his cage so often that he only gets snippy when he smells food.

1.0 Normal

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast