Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

2 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Does she need to eat more...

Excuse the lack of question marks...for some reason when I'm on my phone I can't type them lol.

But anyway I've been feeding my new baby BP every Saturday & giving her a good sized hopper mouse. I fed her last weekend (first feeding since I had her) & Friday I noticed her out stalking the area of the tank where I had fed her so she already knew it was getting close to her feeding day.
    So yesterday I fed her in the same spot & again she ate great. After swallowing the mouse she went back into her cave for a few mins...then came out again & sat watching the feeding spot in a ready-to-strike position & she stayed like that ALL evening & night fixated.

Is she still hungry...do I need to feed her 2 hoppers per feeding...She is slightly underweight I might add.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Does she need to eat more...

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyB View Post
    Excuse the lack of question marks...for some reason when I'm on my phone I can't type them lol.

But anyway I've been feeding my new baby BP every Saturday & giving her a good sized hopper mouse. I fed her last weekend (first feeding since I had her) & Friday I noticed her out stalking the area of the tank where I had fed her so she already knew it was getting close to her feeding day.
    So yesterday I fed her in the same spot & again she ate great. After swallowing the mouse she went back into her cave for a few mins...then came out again & sat watching the feeding spot in a ready-to-strike position & she stayed like that ALL evening & night fixated.

Is she still hungry...do I need to feed her 2 hoppers per feeding...She is slightly underweight I might add.
    How old is she and how much does she weigh?

Mouse hoppers are pretty small, even for hatchlings. Hatchlings can also eat every 3 or 5 days if you want. I would imagine she's probably just hungry. Depending on her size you will probably need to increase the size of the food.
    Last edited by 200xth; 12-15-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can feed her two each time you feed her and/or feed her every 3-4 days, especially if she's underweight. She may be hungry because she needs a larger prey item. When you feed her you want to see the bump from the prey in her belly. If you can't see it, up the prey size, or feed her more than one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (12-17-2013)

Thanks
    Ok thank you. I fed her another larger hopper just now & she did the same thing...ate it, went in her cave for a little while & now shes still sitting fixated on the 'feed spot'...she sure likes her food! Maybe I will feed her 2 adult mice instead...just seems a lot as shes still a baby, but if shes seriously hungry I don't want to deprive her.

Size-wise shes not a teeny hatchling, but is still a baby...I don't have anything to weigh her.

Thanks
    Do you have a picture maybe?
    I would feed her two, especially if she's underweight. I would also feed every 5 days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Also, might be a good idea to invest a few dollars in a scale. I picked one up on eBay for around $12, but you can find them at Wal-Mart pretty cheap.

As far as eating, I've had a couple of mine that have had the same response. I went up to rat pups, and they seemed to be a little more full afterwards. Might be a good idea to up the size of the prey or double up on them.

Thanks
    I shall do that! I'm a petite 26yr old female & she fits in the palm of my hand...best I can do to give you an idea of size & age...my fiance got her for me.

I will feed her more regular & up the prey size...I'm pleased she has a good appetite tho

Banned
    Thanks

I shall do that! I'm a petite 26yr old female & she fits in the palm of my hand...best I can do to give you an idea of size & age...my fiance got her for me.

I will feed her more regular & up the prey size...I'm pleased she has a good appetite tho
    Ok your petite and 26 and have a fiancé ( what does him getting you the snake have to do with feeding her,lol) completely useless info, if your looking to find what to feed your snake,lol...I mean seriously

Thanks

Photos and an accurate weight would help quite a bit.

While she is feeding so eagerly, personally I would be tempted to try switching her to appropriately sized rats.

Here is a size comparison chart. Keep in mind some stores will sell slightly different sizes as a different size. i.e. I get 50-90 gram rats as "small rats".
    So this is only a rough guideline.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Raven01 For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (12-17-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast