Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,309

2 members and 3,307 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Update on inherited pastel with rti

Ok, so I went and picked up the pastel with the RTI tonight, and damn am I glad I did. Not only does he have an RTI, he has mild heat burns on his stomach, slight scale rot, which is probably from the mites he has. This snake is an absolute mess! I feel so bad for the poor guy. Just set him up in a 20 long for quarantine, new hide, new bedding, new everything pretty much and strait into a soak he went quickly followed by a treatment to the tank with proventamite. This guy needs some serious TLC. Any Ideas on what I can do for the burns in the short term? I'm putting a little neosporin on them and I'm taking him to the vet first chance I get either this week or next.

Pictures to follow
    Last edited by Tpythons; 12-11-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Update on inherited pastel with rti

I did not deal with a lot of burns in my experience, but the few I did...I used silver sulfadiazine (sold under many brand names), it is very effective in my experience...of course the the store owner took all of said specimens to the local vet at some point as well. Considering those conditions, I would not be surprised if the specimen also has various other perturbations that you cannot see...so I would go ahead and set up a full exam with your vet. Hope all goes well, good luck.
    Last edited by Physician&Snakes; 12-11-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Silver sulfadiazine is the correct cream to use in regards to burns and major scale rot.
    Stop using the Neosporin because that will make the scales soft and flake off. It could make the scale rot/burns worse.

You can also give daily soaks with diluted Betadine in order to keep the wounds clean.
    I suggest putting him on paper towel substrate while he is healing and getting treated for mites since it will be easier on the burn and easier to keep track of the mites. Keeping his enclosure hospital clean is important.
    Last edited by satomi325; 12-11-2013 at 01:07 AM.