Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

2 members and 3,204 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Noticing a trend here.................

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    You'd almost think there was an army of samurai rats waiting to be deployed into various enclosures so they can slaughter hapless pythons or something.
    Lol! That just made my day.. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

200xth (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Some folks are under the impression that snakes don't know how to feed themselves and haven't been eating live prey for millions of years.....

Whether it's live, f/t, or p/k, just feed what works for you and your snakes. And no matter what method you prefer, be vigilant and feed responsibly.
    Last edited by satomi325; 12-10-2013 at 09:21 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Here's a bit of something to ponder.

If you get offended, by anyone-newb, megayear keeper, the know nothing at the pet shop, it's because you allowed yourself to be offended.

Why care about what someone you have no respect for, will never meet and you have no desire to deal with, thinks? Pick the ones you like, use the criteria for that you are comfortable with and let the rest of them pound sand. Do you have so much free time that you can waste it feeling bad about things strangers say?
    If so, maybe you need a new hobby.

Learn, ask questions, grow calluses and learn which battles are worth fighting. We never stop learning. We're never THE best, or THE fastest, or THE most experienced, but some of us are good and quick and experienced. Some share, some don't. So what? Do what YOU feel is right and be good with yourself. I would recommend, were anyone to ask, that you just let the crap go. Unless you like poop on your shoes. If that's the case, then by all means, carry on just as butthurt as you can. But, I promise, there are better ways than that to improve your skills.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (12-10-2013),Badgemash (12-11-2013),ballpythonluvr (12-11-2013),Crazymonkee (12-10-2013),DooLittle (12-10-2013),kdreptiles (12-10-2013),satomi325 (12-10-2013),tlich (12-11-2013)

Thanks

Pit brings up a great point.
    I wonder if there is a way to differentiate whose advice new members may want to give more weight to?
    A rating system that only veterans can cast votes on perhaps(i.e. after X number of years as a member).
    Granted I haven't been here all that long but, I have learned that there are certain individuals here that are a font of knowledge.
    It would be nice to recognise their efforts in helping out with solid knowledge rather than guesses or regurgitated opinion.
    If possible even a badge for area's of expertise i.e. Boa, Morelia, Genetics, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Noticing a trend here.................

This thread read my mind and couldn't have been written at a better time. I haven't been very active on here the past couple weeks since i saw a few responses in some threads that really bothered me. Some downright disgusted me...

I think some people, not singling anyone out, but especially newer members, get too wrapped up in the forum atmosphere a bit and feel like everything needs to be turned into a competition. I mean really, a thread about how to earn reputation faster...? If thats really why you're here then go to your local YMCA and challenge the seniors to a game of jai alai! Members both old and new need to remember that were all different people from different places and backgrounds and experience levels but were all here for the same reason: we love our animals and want whats best for them!!
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (12-10-2013),Badgemash (12-11-2013),Crazymonkee (12-10-2013),CrystalRose (12-10-2013),DooLittle (12-10-2013),liv (12-10-2013),Mr. Misha (12-10-2013),satomi325 (12-10-2013),tlich (12-11-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Here's a bit of something to ponder.

If you get offended, by anyone-newb, megayear keeper, the know nothing at the pet shop, it's because you allowed yourself to be offended.

Why care about what someone you have no respect for, will never meet and you have no desire to deal with, thinks? Pick the ones you like, use the criteria for that you are comfortable with and let the rest of them pound sand. Do you have so much free time that you can waste it feeling bad about things strangers say?
    If so, maybe you need a new hobby.

Learn, ask questions, grow calluses and learn which battles are worth fighting. We never stop learning. We're never THE best, or THE fastest, or THE most experienced, but some of us are good and quick and experienced. Some share, some don't. So what? Do what YOU feel is right and be good with yourself. I would recommend, were anyone to ask, that you just let the crap go. Unless you like poop on your shoes. If that's the case, then by all means, carry on just as butthurt as you can. But, I promise, there are better ways than that to improve your skills.
    I absolutely agree with you, but I don't think its a matter of being offended or being butt hurt.

When newbies ask questions, they don't know if someone is giving them a fact or an opinion. I know it took me a couple of weeks to figure out who gives solid advice and who should be more or less ignored. So when newer posters give complete newbies advice that sounds like fact instead of opinion is when trouble starts. Just to clarify, I'm definitely NOT against newer members helping each other out. Completely the opposite. Just make VERY sure your information is accurate. If your suggestion is an opinion then label is as such.

Like 200xth pointed out, that's how people are horribly afraid of feeding live because "an army of samurai rats is waiting to be deployed into various enclosures so they can slaughter helpless pythons or something". Thank you for that quote 200xth.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    If you're around long enough and keep reading whole threads, you can see what kind of advice some people offer and what kind of posts they write. Yes, you're going to get some regurge. That's what happens when people keep asking the same question and making the same thread topics over and over again.

However, not everything is regurge and those posts with legitimate advice/insight really shine in the more uncommon topics. And I believe that those are the posts that really show how knowledgeable and experienced a person is.

The "overnight experts" are pretty obvious, in my opinion. Especially if you are familiar with their threads and posts.
    And I do believe the folks who are known for their dependable and authentic advice are noticed.

Just keep reading and learning. The members who know what they're talking about have no issue standing out in the topics that weigh more than the common thread.
    Last edited by satomi325; 12-10-2013 at 10:27 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

4theSNAKElady (12-11-2013)

Thanks

I give advice from time to time, and there have been occasions where more senior members have questioned my logic. In those situations, I try to elaborate and explain my reasons.

Having said that, I truly hope I haven't been guilty of handing out bad information, especially since I've been a member for less than 2 years. If anyone catches bad info coming from me, PLEASE point it out!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    Maybe there is a possibility for a "Things you can do until you can see the vet" thread?

^^^ This. I think this would benefit quite a few people, especially those who come to the forum in search of medical advice for their sick snakes as they are (probably) more likely to jump on whatever advice they get first.

I don't know if I'm missing it somewhere, but perhaps a number and/or email address for a few reputable reptile vets being listed could be helpful, too. I'm sure there are vets out there who would gladly allow people to contact them for advice as opposed to listening to (no offense) online drabble. Obviously, get their permission before posting their info, though.

And for the general post, maybe if a few of our more experienced and reliable members (or reputable breeders in the hobby) could answer some basic questions on what to do in the meantime before they can go to a vet. What to do for mites, RI, scale rot... Maybe a few things about what not to freak out about as well, like the orange belly before shedding (which can look quite alarmingly like a burn). I know people are busy, but perhaps asking the seperate questions to people and compiling a consensus or even just keeping the replied quotes from those reliable sources could be delegated to someone with more free time. (I'll totally volunteer--I'm a stay-at-home mom, so not much life. xD But I know I'm still new here and such, so no hard feelings what-so-ever if someone else ischosen for it--I just think it's a good idea!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    Don't do that. I think we've gone way overboard in the warnings of live feedings. A couple of months ago on this forum there was a post by someone who was "terrified" to feed his snake a mouse hopper. That's too far. You'd almost think there was an army of samurai rats waiting to be deployed into various enclosures so they can slaughter hapless pythons or something.

Every person who buys a ball python should be fully aware that they may need to feed their snake a live rodent someday. There's lots of good reasons to feed FT...unfortunately, they're all good reasons for humans and the snake shares none of those reasons. Give him a properly sized live rodent (ie, no 400g rats for 800g snakes) and he's perfectly happy, unconcerned with convenience or humane objections.

Keep letting them know it's okay when the subject comes up. They need to know it's okay to feed live if wanted/needed.
    Exactly

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast