Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

1 members and 3,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Noticing a trend here.................

Oh my god that's honestly sick plain and simple. I'm very glad I didn't see it. If you are unable to guarantee your animal professional care in the event of an emergency you should have it. End of story. I have never heard of anyone performing a "home amputation" and I hope I never do again. Seriously sickening.

Thanks
    I did see it, and couldn't believe what I was reading.
    For medical advice I either don't reply or reply to see a vet.
    As for simple husbandry issues, I say what I have learned, what I use and what is working for me.
    As for feeding I feed live and feel I can adequately give advice there, and also my method of figuring size of prey.
    I do not shun f/t feeders, as I did try it and it just wasn't for me. Now my hognoses do eat f/t so I'll most likely keep them on that.
    I don't like when people try to scare new people about feeding live.
    There is a lot of great advice here, but people have to read further and see who is more respected, and the years they have been keeping.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (12-10-2013),Mr. Misha (12-10-2013),Phantomtip (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Naom9Anne View Post
    Although this action was awful I want the OP to update on the health and well-being of her BP. It would be a relief to know what happened and I hope their actions didn't take their BP's life. I don't think I posted on the thread myself but I remember reading through it and being very shocked; what shocked me most was their decision to follow through on the amputation. I hope no one else is driven to such extreme actions with any of their animals, whether rep or not.

A lot more went on during this post but that is basically all you need to know. Quite rightly, the post was removed to stop others following these actions.
    I think an update could actually be counterproductive. If the snake is doing well, there's the potential for, "Well, this one Guy did it and it turned out fine, probably saved his snake's life!" If it turns out the snake isn't OK, then there's nothing anyone can do about it now anyway.

I think it's best to just let anyone who'd consider doing this (or giving this kind of advice) wonder what became of that snake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Adversity does not build character, it reveals it

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrandiR For This Useful Post:

200xth (12-10-2013),Archimedes (12-10-2013),Badgemash (12-11-2013),PitOnTheProwl (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    That is very true! Last thing we would want!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    I don't like when people try to scare new people about feeding live.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't understand why an opinion in feeding, is slowly becoming "the only way" to do it.

Most of the time I don't even chime in anymore in letting new owners know that it's ok to feed live because there's always a bunch of people swearing it's the worst thing ever.

Keeping two animals in one terrarium (I'm not recommending this to new owners) also should not be demonized. Just because it's not perfect for all keepers, doesn't mean it should be seen as the devils work. Lol. And yes, I keep one of my pairs together. No, I'm not broke, nor am I a horrible keeper for doing so. Again, it's a choice.

Anyways, that's the end of my rant...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    <----is worried about being a fart.

Haha. Yeah, you certainly have to watch out for some crazy stuff that pops in from time to time around here. I still love to learn from the site though. There are so many great teachers and lessons here.
    -Paul-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Maybe there is a possibility for a "Things you can do until you can see the vet" thread?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Libby (12-11-2013),Productmur (12-10-2013)

Thanks

I have been told repeatedly that I need to get ONLY 1 kind of incubator. A DIY. I'm not good and have said so several times at wiring things up. So now I am considered an idiot because I want to buy one and ask a question. I have also noticed that its new people on this forum. Yes I am new to this forum too but asking a question shouldn't have people jumping down your throat and ripping out your tongue from the base. Ive been jumped on about my girls weight, and my husband putting my girl and boy together. This has been from people that have had BPs for a couple months. I've had my girl 4 yrs. So I'm not a complete newbie. It does get irritating to have someone thats extremely new say you're doing things wrong.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantomtip For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (12-10-2013),Mr. Misha (12-10-2013)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtip View Post
    I have been told repeatedly that I need to get ONLY 1 kind of incubator. A DIY. I'm not good and have said so several times at wiring things up. So now I am considered an idiot because I want to buy one and ask a question. I have also noticed that its new people on this forum. Yes I am new to this forum too but asking a question shouldn't have people jumping down your throat and ripping out your tongue from the base. Ive been jumped on about my girls weight, and my husband putting my girl and boy together. This has been from people that have had BPs for a couple months. I've had my girl 4 yrs. So I'm not a complete newbie. It does get irritating to have someone thats extremely new say you're doing things wrong.
    Honestly I don't think anyone thinks of you as an idiot, I know I don't however I think its a waste of money to buy one when you can build one for less than $20 plus the cost of a t-stat. Then the stat can be repurposed

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    Most of the time I don't even chime in anymore in letting new owners know that it's ok to feed live because there's always a bunch of people swearing it's the worst thing ever.
    Don't do that. I think we've gone way overboard in the warnings of live feedings. A couple of months ago on this forum there was a post by someone who was "terrified" to feed his snake a mouse hopper. That's too far. You'd almost think there was an army of samurai rats waiting to be deployed into various enclosures so they can slaughter hapless pythons or something.

Every person who buys a ball python should be fully aware that they may need to feed their snake a live rodent someday. There's lots of good reasons to feed FT...unfortunately, they're all good reasons for humans and the snake shares none of those reasons. Give him a properly sized live rodent (ie, no 400g rats for 800g snakes) and he's perfectly happy, unconcerned with convenience or humane objections.

Keep letting them know it's okay when the subject comes up. They need to know it's okay to feed live if wanted/needed.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (12-10-2013),Mr. Misha (12-10-2013)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast