Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,963

0 members and 2,963 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Noticing a trend here.................

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    For one, I think it's retarded that people would rather sit on their butts waiting for internet responses(from strangers they will most likely never meet) than take their animal to the vet if they are really that unsure of their health. And when they claim that they can't afford vet care, well..... What the heck?! Don't own something you can't afford to care for!

The DIY home amputation thread comes to mind once again..... SMH
    That one really was off-putting.

A lot of the members here have solid input and experience to offer good advice. But I think people need to remember that in the end, no body here is a qualified herp vet.
    Rather than such and such advice be "instead of a vet", it should always be "options I can do until I can get to a vet" type of thing.....
    Holy...! Can I see this thread? And I agree on the vet. If my animal is sick I don't ask opinions on the forum. I call the vet, see what they have to say, and go from there. With my horse he cut his leg on some type of wood known to cause infections. His leg went from slightly swollen to dragging it when he walked in about two days. (I was away from the barn when it first happened and went to see my horse and was horrified) Vet came out and treated it ASAP. I've also called for other issues and been told to wait it out. I trust my vet.
    Last edited by Marrissa; 12-10-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    The DIY home amputation thread comes to mind once again

I'm sorry....

WHAT?
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissa View Post
    Holy...! Can I see this thread? And I agree on the vet. If my animal is sick I don't ask opinions on the forum. I call the vet, see what they have to say, and go from there. With my horse he cut his leg on some type of wood known to cause infections. His leg went from slightly swollen to dragging it when he walked in about two days. (I was away from the barn when it first happened and went to see my horse and was horrified) Vet came out and treated it ASAP. I've also called for other issues and been told to wait it out. I trust my vet.

The thread was deleted, and for good reason Marrissa. Any one on the internet could have read it and taken that advice upon themselves. I understand coming on here to ask advice if you think your snake may be sick or not 100% if it is a weekend when you cannot get to a vet, or late at night but everything medical should be taken with a pinch of salt. For example, raising temperatures with a suspected RI for someone who isn't sure what to do but I think no further.

I'm very new to this hobby and this forum has really helped me through the help of very experienced people. I try to help others where I can too from what I've learnt as much as I can.

Thanks

Being a newbie I only have heard of the thread....somebody with more exp will have to elaborate on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h20hunter View Post
    Being a newbie I only have heard of the thread....somebody with more exp will have to elaborate on it.
    Someone posted a picture of her BP's tail saying they couldn't get to a vet due to weather conditions. People told them to wait it out and get to a vet asap, another member suggested an amputation; DIY style. The OP decided to do an at home amputation. The snake survived this initial amputation but I do not know if it is still okay, I hope it is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naom9Anne View Post
    Someone posted a picture of her BP's tail saying they couldn't get to a vet due to weather conditions. People told them to wait it out and get to a vet asap, another member suggested an amputation; DIY style. The OP decided to do an at home amputation. The snake survived this initial amputation but I do not know if it is still okay, I hope it is.
    That is a heck of summary....in similiar succinct fashion I would say that is royallymessedupwhatthebloodyhellwouldpossessomeonetodothat.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to h20hunter For This Useful Post:

Phantomtip (12-10-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naom9Anne View Post
    The thread was deleted, and for good reason Marrissa. Any one on the internet could have read it and taken that advice upon themselves. I understand coming on here to ask advice if you think your snake may be sick or not 100% if it is a weekend when you cannot get to a vet, or late at night but everything medical should be taken with a pinch of salt. For example, raising temperatures with a suspected RI for someone who isn't sure what to do but I think no further.

I'm very new to this hobby and this forum has really helped me through the help of very experienced people. I try to help others where I can too from what I've learnt as much as I can.
    I'm just shocked someone put a thread up like that, or that someone suggested that. It's a good thing it was deleted but man I'd like to know who it was just for the sake of never doing business with them.

Edit: read your most recent post. I am reeling from hearing that. I hope that snake is ok. I just don't even know what to say besides I'm horrified.
    Last edited by Marrissa; 12-10-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Although this action was awful I want the OP to update on the health and well-being of her BP. It would be a relief to know what happened and I hope their actions didn't take their BP's life. I don't think I posted on the thread myself but I remember reading through it and being very shocked; what shocked me most was their decision to follow through on the amputation. I hope no one else is driven to such extreme actions with any of their animals, whether rep or not.

A lot more went on during this post but that is basically all you need to know. Quite rightly, the post was removed to stop others following these actions.
    Last edited by Naom9Anne; 12-10-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post

I'm sorry....

WHAT?
    It was horrible.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (12-10-2013),h00blah (12-10-2013),satomi325 (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Sadly, common sense isn't very common.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 12-10-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (12-10-2013),satomi325 (12-10-2013)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast