Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

2 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Not eating

Thanks

Not eating

Hello, I know my girl did this for a short time last year too but I just want to make sure everything is fine. My girl hasn't eaten since October 1st and then her weight was 1588g. Today her weight is 1620g which is down from her weight of 1708g on October 12th. I've been offering her a rat every week and a half. The rats have average weight at 200g. I'm going to try and either buy a smaller rat or maybe try feeding a small live mouse? She's never eaten live before though. I'm not sure if it matters but she's just over two years old. I do live in the mountains and we just got a big snow storm but I've kept her enclosure at a nice temp. I think she's just fasting but I just want to be on the safe side. I am moving across country in a month and my mother will be watching her for awhile, so want to make sure everything is fine.

Here's a few pics.

New to the wonderful world of Ball Pythons.

0.1 Normal Ball Python 4 1/2 years old (Jay Rosa )
    1.0 Spinner 100% Het. Axanthic 1 year (Derek)
    Co-owned

1.0 Veil tail Beta
    1.0 platty
    0.1 sucky fish
    2.0 Glow Danios

1.0 11 year old orange Tabby named Orange Crush

Jan. 8th 2012 will forever be known as the day i got my first reptile

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    They may go off feed for a period of time no matter what. As long as the environment is good and she isn't losing weight it's not usually something to worry about.

If you want, you can try a live rat. I don't know if it needs to be 200g (that's pretty big), but even if you just toss a rat pup or weaned rat in there she may snag it.

Thanks
    She looks really healthy there. I would say to monitor her weight and still offer food but not as often, as you said she did this last year and she is definitely up to breeding weight by the sound of it so I wouldn't be too concerned unless she started losing considerable amounts of weight. I think not eating is much more frustrating for the owner's! I haven't really heard of 200g rats being used on adult BP's, a female is usually fine on small (or medium rats if she is a big girl) when they reach adulthood.

Good luck and hopefully this fast doesn't last too long for you!
    Last edited by Naom9Anne; 12-10-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    My adult females are off feed too. It's pretty normal for the mature BPs to be off feed right now for the breeding season. I wouldn't worry too much, especially if she did it last year.