Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,154

3 members and 3,151 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy New BP owner needs help and suggestions!!

I've been reading up on how people have set up their enclosures, and I'm beginning to get very overwhelmed with all the choices there are. I have a glass 20 gallon terrarium with a sliding screen top, a mini ZooMed UTH, and a lamp with a sunshine bulb in it, which I believe to be 60w, that is sitting on top of the sliding screen. I'm using Aspen substrate, and I have one smaller hide on the warm side on top of the heating pad, and a larger hide on the cool side with paper towels stuffed inside so it would feel smaller for him. (I know that they should both be the same size, so I plan on going and buying two identical containers tonight). After reading about all the things I need to have to properly care for my 5 month old baby Ball, I'm not even sure what I should buy now. I'm so worried about Salazar, because I know that the conditions he's been living in have to be stressing him out a lot, and I know that he's uncomfortable and that kills me. I just don't really know where to start, and this is a huge problem because he's been living like this for about 2-3 weeks. I guess I kind of did know where to start, since I just ordered a Infrared TempGun. But I have so many questions, like, should i buy a Ceramic heating bulb? and would that be compatible with the lamp I have now? Would that be okay with sitting on top of the screen, or would I have to buy a lamp stand? Or should I buy a night bulb and switch out the day bulb for the night one every night? And what about thermometers/hygrometers? Which ones would you recommend I buy, and where should i place them in the tank? (Because all I have now is one of those cheapo sticker ones, and I now know that that isn't good for reading temps at ALL, and I have a hygrometer, but it's one of those analog stick-on ones. Not good.) And then how do I control the amount of heat my UTH puts out? What's an effective way to make a heating gradient? This is all so much, and it's all my fault. I should've delved deeper into what I needed and got all of this set up before I brought him home.
    Not to mention he's not eating, probably due to all the stress of not having the proper environment. I can't believe I took this long to reach out for help. So if I could have some assistance and advice and pointers and all that, that would be really, really helpful in getting all of this figured out. Thank you so much.

Thanks

New BP owner needs help and suggestions!!

I'm too new to be of much help for you, but do want to say that beating yourself up won't help Salazar. You are reaching out now, asking for help, and that is what matters. There is sooo much to learn. Like you, I feel like I've done everything wrong and wish I had a "do over" button. But each small improvement will get you closer to where his environment needs to be.

Things that helped me:
    - Getting a Herpstat thermostat.
    - Putting a damp towel over most of the top of my tank.
    - Using a 50 w red bulb for ambient heat on colder nights.
    - Switching to coconut husk substrate
    - Ordering a T8 enclosure. Knowing this will be on the way shortly keeps me from getting overwhelmed by the amount of adjusting and misting I have to do with a tank. My tank is way too big, and not ideal at all for a BP.

There is so much experience on here. People will help you get sorted out. Posting a pic of your setup can help them help you.

Hang in there!

Sent from my TARDIS using Tapatalk
    "if you plan for a year, plant rice. If you plan for a decade, plant trees. If you plan for a lifetime, educate people." - Chinese Proverb

1.0 Normal BP - Tiki
    0.0.1 Albino Corn - Fuego
    0.0.1 Snow Corn - Zero
    1.0 Jack Russell - Bosco
    1.0 Morkie - Rocky
    1.0 Awesome Kid

Thanks

Re: New BP owner needs help and suggestions!!

Thank you very much, I'll be sure and post a picture of my set-up as soon as I get home!!

Thanks

New BP owner needs help and suggestions!!

There is also a recent post by The Serpent Merchant that includes photos for setting up a tank. Check it out!

Sent from my TARDIS using Tapatalk
    "if you plan for a year, plant rice. If you plan for a decade, plant trees. If you plan for a lifetime, educate people." - Chinese Proverb

1.0 Normal BP - Tiki
    0.0.1 Albino Corn - Fuego
    0.0.1 Snow Corn - Zero
    1.0 Jack Russell - Bosco
    1.0 Morkie - Rocky
    1.0 Awesome Kid

Thanks

I'm looking at that right now!

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tayloriero View Post
    I've been reading up on how people have set up their enclosures, and I'm beginning to get very overwhelmed with all the choices there are. I have a glass 20 gallon terrarium with a sliding screen top, a mini ZooMed UTH, and a lamp with a sunshine bulb in it, which I believe to be 60w, that is sitting on top of the sliding screen. I'm using Aspen substrate, and I have one smaller hide on the warm side on top of the heating pad, and a larger hide on the cool side with paper towels stuffed inside so it would feel smaller for him. (I know that they should both be the same size, so I plan on going and buying two identical containers tonight). After reading about all the things I need to have to properly care for my 5 month old baby Ball, I'm not even sure what I should buy now. I'm so worried about Salazar,

I love that name.

because I know that the conditions he's been living in have to be stressing him out a lot, and I know that he's uncomfortable and that kills me. I just don't really know where to start, and this is a huge problem because he's been living like this for about 2-3 weeks. I guess I kind of did know where to start, since I just ordered a Infrared TempGun. But I have so many questions, like, should i buy a Ceramic heating bulb? and would that be compatible with the lamp I have now? Would that be okay with sitting on top of the screen, or would I have to buy a lamp stand? Or should I buy a night bulb and switch out the day bulb for the night one every night? And what about thermometers/hygrometers? Which ones would you recommend I buy, and where should i place them in the tank? (Because all I have now is one of those cheapo sticker ones, and I now know that that isn't good for reading temps at ALL, and I have a hygrometer, but it's one of those analog stick-on ones. Not good.)

CHE's can work, I prefer infared bulbs for my glass tanks though. You can provide a day/night cycle if you want but most just use the infared or night bulb. Acurite makes pretty good systems from what I hear...I mostly just use my temp gun and a "cheapy" Zoo med probe thermometer. You may place lights on the screen, a stand does make a sliding top more convenient though.

And then how do I control the amount of heat my UTH puts out? What's an effective way to make a heating gradient? This is all so much, and it's all my fault. I should've delved deeper into what I needed and got all of this set up before I brought him home.

The heat pad may be controlled by simple on/off thermostat made by Hydrofarm for under $40...like someone else mentioned, proportional ones by Spyderrobotics are also available. The hydrofarms I use are monitoring Zoo med heat pads, a touch of silicon holds the probe to the bottom of the cage, under the substrate...a maximum temp of 92F is allowed because mine seem to have a 3 degree swing so it will cut off as it approaches 95F. Chill, we all trip up here and there, you want to do right by your specimen now that's what counts.

Not to mention he's not eating, probably due to all the stress of not having the proper environment. I can't believe I took this long to reach out for help. So if I could have some assistance and advice and pointers and all that, that would be really, really helpful in getting all of this figured out. Thank you so much.
    See bold and italics. I am sure he'll perk up, just give him time.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Check this link out. It will show you how to control the UTH and how a 20 gallon glass setup should be done. Hope this helps.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201740

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Banned
    Thanks
    I have the same tank as you. 20 gallon and sliding screen top. My set up is as follows

- UTH pad taped to bottom of the tank with aluminum tape
    - thermostat hooked up to UTH and and I keep my UTH mat at 88-90. I tape the probe on the bottom of the tank on the outsideof the tank but in between the heat pad and tank,dead center .
    -thermostat with probe??I keep the thermostat out of the tank and run the wire in the tank under the substrate and place it dead center of heat mat,held down with aluminum tape.
    - I keep 90 % of my cage screen coverered with a sheet of aluminum foil and a heavy dry rag on top ( to help keep humidity in)
    -I use a black light heat bulb at night and a reg day time heat bulb during the day. My double down is placed on the hot side of the tank,basically towards end of the screen.
    - substrate I use a mixture of repti back and eco earth. With some sphagnum moss mixed in
    - hygrometer,analog style on tank on inside,placed center of the tank about 3" up from substrate level.
    - very large water bowl center of tank one hide on the warm side.
    - some fake plants and fake vines throughout

Banned
    Thanks
    As for the tape on the inside I use a few pieces and been for a while,never had a problem,just make sure your tank is 100% dry when u apply the tape!also make sure he can't slither behind the wires and pull it off the tape that is!do it right.best bet if you don't want to leave any wires along side of the tank exposed,go buy yourself a piece of 1/2" PVC,cut to height of the tank and run the thermostat wire through it ,to hold the PVC to the tank wall,u can apply a few dabs to the back of it using aquarium silicone,which you can find at pet stores..that's actually what I'm gonna do,I always forget to.
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-09-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Please DO NOT EVER put tape INSIDE an enclosure. Bad, bad idea. A thermostat will control your heat mat/tape output. A cheap (and Imo temporary ) thermostat is a hydrofarm. Best option would be a herpstat from spyder robotics. This is a good basic start caresheet-
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127203

You can get an accurite thermometer from Walmart. It will measure both ends as well as humidity. Those analog ones are junk. Accurite can still be off by a degree or two, but way better than analog. Or available at amazon-
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001BO...110_SY165_QL70

Glass aquariums with screen lids can be hard to maintain humidity and temps. Serpent Merchant has some very good threads about set ups and thermostats. Anything he says can be trusted.

Hides should be dark, snug, and secure. Think borderline too small and dark= perfect for bps.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast