Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

2 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How soon will a RI show up?

So I checked the herpstat like usual this morning. I went to work later and came home. My roommates and boyfriend were all already in bed. I go to plug the new space heater I saw sitting on the table in while I was on my laptop. It didn't work so I just thought it was broke. My computer died so I went and got the charger for it and plugged that into the same outlet and nothing. I don't know about circuits and breaker boxes and such but I went over to it and couldn't get it to work. Well all the outlets in the living room are apparently out. The apartment is a cheap rundown one and has no insulation. We have been having a ton of water related problems lately and now this on top of it. Well no one freaking texted or called me or thought about the snakes in any way. I grabbed another extension cord/multi plug thingy and plugged that into a kitchen outlet and have it strung over to the herpstat. I sat with three snakes under my shirt and my male wrapped around my neck to try to get them to warm up while the cages warmed back up. The roommates and boyfriend will all be getting talked to tomorrow. When I woke my boyfriend up to ask for his help with the circuit breaker, I finally got out of him through his sleep stupor that they knew it happened tonight.

Anyways, so now I'm worried about RIs. If it's going to happen what time frame do they usually show up? The herpstat probes were reading around 65F when it turned back on. Does one temp drop like this put them at a good likely hood of getting a RI?
    Alluring Constrictors

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    In a word, Yes.
    Only time will tell.
    You want to slowly warm them back up to temp.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    It can lead to a future RI but most likely you will be OK if it was for a short while. As stated above, warm them up slowly and once the temp is at the normal range you can always bump it up a bit for a little while as a preventative measure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EAC Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks guys. They sat under my shirt until they didn't feel like ice cubes anymore. I knew to warm up slowly and figured that would be the slowest way. Not sure if that was the best or just letting them sit in the cage was. Either way none of them have ever sat so still before. When I put them back two went to their hides and the other two sat out, I'm sure to let the RHP do it's job on them.

Wil increasing the temp help ward off one? If so how much of an increase? The RHPs are set around 82F each which gives me ranges of 83-89 in their enclosure.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    I don't know if raising the temps will help to prevent an RI for sure. But I was suggesting it because when you do have an RI raising temps a few degrees helps boost there immune system, so I don't see why it won't help with a possible RI. When I had an RI I raised my temps to about 92°.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EAC Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I would run their temps 2-3*F higher than normal for the next few days, and bump up their humidity as well. The higher humidity keeps them hydrated and the mucous moist, which helps them expel it. Think of it like when you have a head cold and take a hot shower - the steam helps you get the snot out of your sinuses and throat.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thank you! Much appreciated. I've bumped the temps up and am praying they'll be ok.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: How soon will a RI show up?

That stinks. :-( I have no advice to offer, but hope your babies are ok.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    I am freaking raging right now. I went to bed way early last night after studying a bit for my final tonight. I get up and check the snakes and the freaking thermostat is OFF. Someone turned off the powerstrip that I strung over to the snakes! I've already sent out a rager of a text to the BF and roommates. And they WILL be getting it again tonight when I come home from my final. I thought they were dead. I'm once again sitting here with four lethargic snakes in my sweater. I'm so freaking mad I can't even concentrate on anything but them. I bawled when I pull them out of their enclosures.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: How soon will a RI show up?

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissa View Post
    I am freaking raging right now. I went to bed way early last night after studying a bit for my final tonight. I get up and check the snakes and the freaking thermostat is OFF. Someone turned off the powerstrip that I strung over to the snakes! I've already sent out a rager of a text to the BF and roommates. And they WILL be getting it again tonight when I come home from my final. I thought they were dead. I'm once again sitting here with four lethargic snakes in my sweater. I'm so freaking mad I can't even concentrate on anything but them. I bawled when I pull them out of their enclosures.
    That would be so frustrating! Fingers crossed your babies are ok.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (12-10-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast