Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

1 members and 3,324 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Yeah, not the up and down temps are giving you a great chance for a vet bill.
    Sounds like you love with someone that doesn't like your snakes OR is just a plain IDIOT.

Thanks
    Thank you. I'm praying for them. Warmed them up under my shirt until they felt like trying to explore the covers then put them back in their enclosures. It's working it's way back up to the 80s right now. It had about 30 degrees to warm back up. :/ The probes read around 52 degrees when I flipped the powerstrip back on. Maintenance finally came over today (we were placed on the urgent list and they still didn't come yesterday ). So the power is good and the guy is working on the leaks now too.

I'm now extra scared they'll develop RIs. That's a lot for them to go through in a two day span. I'm also very scared to leave on vacation for 2 weeks to go home for Christmas. I'm going to drill it into my roommates and my boyfriends head to check the thermostat every day. Probably going to enlist a friend to come over and check it too.

Edit: Pit- they're all ok with my snakes. Both roommates think their cool but it's not they're thing and my BF doesn't care for them but tolerates my hobby. I don't think anyone intentionally did it. I think someone accidentally hit the switch because it was strung from the kitchen, over the table, to the enclosures because the living room outlets were out. The fact that the first time no one thought about my snakes and last night that someone wasn't careful, is what has me extremely mad.

Oh if it comes down to going to the vet, no oral antibiotics right? And make sure to get a culture done first?
    Last edited by Marrissa; 12-10-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks

Re: How soon will a RI show up?

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissa View Post
    Both roommates think their cool but it's not they're thing and my BF doesn't care for them but tolerates my hobby.
    Please ignore my mess ups of they're and their. I'm not illiterate I swear.
    Alluring Constrictors

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Please ignore my mess ups of they're and their. I'm not illiterate I swear.
    Its all good, we don't mind here.

Thanks
    Tomorrow is feeding day. Anything wrong with offering food?
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Tomorrow is feeding day. Anything wrong with offering food?
    You could try. But I would give them a day or two to settle back in.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks

I had a few other breeders that I know tell me that they had snakes shipped to them that came in cold. somewhere in the 50" and they were ok. the only things you can do is keep your eye on them, knowing what they just went threw.
    the circuit breaker is tripping and shutting the power off. it's doing this because this circuit is being over loaded. (too many things plugged into this circuit) you need to plug some of these things into another circuit. if you don't and that circuit breaker fails to trip, it can be a start of a fire. it's tripping now to prevent this from happening. good luck with your snakes, hopefully they will be fine. don

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by don15681 View Post
    I had a few other breeders that I know tell me that they had snakes shipped to them that came in cold. somewhere in the 50" and they were ok. the only things you can do is keep your eye on them, knowing what they just went threw.
    the circuit breaker is tripping and shutting the power off. it's doing this because this circuit is being over loaded. (too many things plugged into this circuit) you need to plug some of these things into another circuit. if you don't and that circuit breaker fails to trip, it can be a start of a fire. it's tripping now to prevent this from happening. good luck with your snakes, hopefully they will be fine. don

Yeah there's three outlets connected together. I have my mini freezer for the snakes and the herpstat 4 plugged into one on an extension cord with the lights for the tanks plugged in on occasion. What I think did it was the roomies having a space heater on each of the other two going. They've been talked to about being careful what they having running on them, and also that I get notified ASAP if something happens with the power. My BF told me one roommate gave the line of "it's not their responsibility to check" if something happens. I'll remember that if I see a leak over their tv or Xboxes or if there's a lightning storm close I'll unplug my laptop and leave their electronics up to fate. My BF is going to be checking whenever he is home though. He doesn't care much for the snakes but he doesn't want them hurt or me upset.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I'm going to hold off on feeding then.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Yeah there's three outlets connected together. I have my mini freezer for the snakes and the herpstat 4 plugged into one on an extension cord with the lights for the tanks plugged in on occasion. What I think did it was the roomies having a space heater on each of the other two going.
    Space heaters and appliances that have compressors, like your mini-freezer, not only draw a good bit of current, but when they cycle on and off they have a very high initial voltage spike. So, while the circuit may not be overloaded if everything is running, the initial spike when an appliance or heater cycles on may be enough to trip the breaker.

Since your roommates have twice shown themselves to be unobservant and/or untrustworthy when it comes to monitoring the snake rack, you're going to have to take some additional steps to ensure that your snakes stay warm. Personally I would move the mini-freezer so it runs off of a different circuit. I would also place a big 'DO NOT TURN OFF' label on any power strips that should remain turned on.
    Last edited by bcr229; 12-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Well if its a short temp drop they should be ok. A user on here told me its like when breeders take their collections to expos and are exposed to room temperatures for short periods of time. I had a power outage for about 11 hours once and was very nervous for nothing. But if this is frequently happening it probably will cause a RI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12