Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,168

1 members and 3,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Nose rub?

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Nose rub?

I've noticed my ball python gas dry rough looking scales on his nose(sorry, I don't have a camera that can show it as my camera is crappy and it is very minor) I haven't seen it happening, he does not have an RI or mites andhe is not in shed. He's refused food for a month, presumably due to it being winter so could it just be that he's finally decided he's hungry and was looking for food all night? What do you think it is?

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Nose rub?

Describe your husbandry, cage, temps, etc... ? If you see any flesh or bruising an antibiotic ointment like neosporin minus analgesics is recommended. There are also specialty made screen covers that prevent nose rubbing. Hungry? Only one way to find out .
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Mine actually had the same thing (I think). Her nose looked irritated and scales there were really dry. It seemed to just scab over and heal and it looks fine now. She also did have a minor RI and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. But it didn't seem to be anything to worry about, although again I don't really know why it happened

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Physician&Snakes View Post
    Describe your husbandry, cage, temps, etc... ? If you see any flesh or bruising an antibiotic ointment like neosporin minus analgesics is recommended. There are also specialty made screen covers that prevent nose rubbing. Hungry? Only one way to find out .
    Quote Originally Posted by cvbnm5 View Post
    Mine actually had the same thing (I think). Her nose looked irritated and scales there were really dry. It seemed to just scab over and heal and it looks fine now. She also did have a minor RI and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. But it didn't seem to be anything to worry about, although again I don't really know why it happened
    He is in a 34gal breeder cold end 76 warm end 86 hotspot of 90 humidity around 50-55%(it's been closer 50% lately due to the low humidity of winter but gets up to 60-65% at night when his light goes off(the temps stay stable though because i use a lower-wattage che instead of the day-light at night, I'll start misting when it gets to 45% or he goes into shed) two hides, one on each end, a large water dish, big enough for soaking if he so chooses, some grape wood incase he decides to climb and to make it less open do he's not ovenwhelmed(he's only 6 months old). No visible flesh or bruising, just slightly wrinkled scales with a slight tint almost like they didn't shed off(which they did). His last shed was just a week or two ago and I'll try feeding him on wednsday, this week's kinda busy so that's the soonest I'll have time to thaw out/heat the rat and feed him(he likes to eat it backwards so sometimes it takes him a bit to figure it out).
    Last edited by TurkeyPython; 12-09-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Try and jumping up your temp to 90° on the hot side. 86° is a bit on the lower side.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    my pastel was doing this alot, i asked some breeders at the last expo i was at and they said she could either be hungr or she just does it. i tried feeding she showed no interest for a few weeks, then randomly i dropped a live mouse in and she took it so maybe try feeding him live to get him back to normal. he will need to digest and not move so it could help
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 butter
    1.0 bumble bee