Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,190

5 members and 3,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Temperature problems

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post
    Oh ok,lol,I gotcha.good thinking
    I keep my probe thermometer in the tank right above the center of the UTH to make sure my heat mat is working properly. I very rarely use my temp gun..I also have a hydrofarm thermostat regulating the UTH
    I would not recommend keeping the probe inside the tank, if the snake urinates or spills water on the probe, the probe will sense a drop in temperature causing the UTH to spike in temperature, which can result in a burn to your snake or worse.
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martin82531 View Post
    What is emissivity, and how is it related to infrared temperature measurements?

Emissivity is defined as the ratio of the energy radiated by an object at a given temperature to the energy emitted by a perfect radiator, or blackbody, at the same temperature. The emissivity of a blackbody is 1.0. All values of emissivity fall between 0.0 and 1.0. Most infrared thermometers have the ability to compensate for different emissivity values, for different materials. In general, the higher the emissivity of an object, the easier it is to obtain an accurate temperature measurement using infrared. Objects with very low emissivities (below 0.2) can be difficult applications. Some polished, shiny metallic surfaces, such as aluminum, are so reflective in the infrared that accurate temperature measurements are not always possible.

http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/infraredthermometer.html
    Ok,yeah now everything is clear,lol...I think the last 20 words are all that made sense to me..but I think you knew that was going to be the case..thanks for the attempt anyway.

Thanks

Why do you have a rag on top of the foil??? Is it a wett rag? If so the wet rag should be on top the screen to help create humidity,cause on top of the foil,it's not doing much of anything. What substrate are you using? You have me very confused,lol..I just don't get it.

I had a towel or rag on top of a of a glass tank, although this did not create any husbandry benefits, it was more for aesthetics reasons.

0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

4. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

pbyeerts (12-08-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

I would not recommend keeping the probe inside the tank, if the snake urinates or spills water on the probe, the probe will sense a drop in temperature causing the UTH to spike in temperature, which can result in a burn to your snake or worse.
    I keep my thermometer probe inside the tank for quiet a few months now,never had any issues. I want to know the surface temp. The inside of the tank..I'm talking about the thermometers one,not the thgymostat probe..urinatung is possible,but no way he can spill water in there,plusi have a fairly thick layer of exo earth and repti bark mix which is very absorbent. Don't see how that can affect a thermometer probe. Much if at all..I've had my set up like it is for a while,my snakes are doing great. I'm leaving things as are
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-08-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks

I keep my thermometer probe inside the tank for quiet a few months now,never had any issues. I want to know the surface temp. The inside of the tank..I'm talking about the thermometers one,not the thgymostat probe..urinatung is possible,but no way he can spill water in there,plusi have a fairly thick layer of exo earth and repti bark mix which is very absorbent. Don't see how that can affect a thermometer probe.
    If you want to know the surface temp, a probed thermometer that is buried under a "fairly thick layer of substrate" is going be difficult to give you the temperature you are looking for, I would recommend a IR gun for such results.
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Banned
    Thanks

If you want to know the surface temp, a probed thermometer that is buried under a "fairly thick layer of substrate" is going be difficult to give you the temperature you are looking for, I would recommend a IR gun for such results.
    I have an IR gun already. The probe is there so I can know the temp of the glass where the UTH is giving off heat at its hottest spot naturally it will heat up the substrate as well,which is what I'm rug t do and that's keep the inside of the hide on the hot side war and comfortable.. And the hide which creates a cool spot due to the shade and the lamp not getting through the hide to really create heat,it seems to work perfect for me and my snake,specifically my snake. Thanks for the advice,but I have no need to change anything,I'm having no problems,if something happens then I will do what's necessary'until then.if it ain't broke I'm not fixing it
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-09-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    The BP urinating or spilling water on the thermometer probe is NOT going to cause the UTH temp to rise if the thermometer malfunctions. The thermometer merely monitors the temp, not controls it. This could be a possibility if the thermoSTAT probe was placed in the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thejenius77 For This Useful Post:

martin82531 (12-14-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thejenius77 View Post
    The BP urinating or spilling water on the thermometer probe is NOT going to cause the UTH temp to rise if the thermometer malfunctions. The thermometer merely monitors the temp, not controls it. This could be a possibility if the thermoSTAT probe was placed in the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    You are 100% correct, I meant to say the thermostat probe.
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

11. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

thejenius77 (12-14-2013)

Thanks

I keep my thermometer probe inside the tank for quiet a few months now,never had any issues. I want to know the surface temp. The inside of the tank..I'm talking about the thermometers one,not the thgymostat probe..urinatung is possible,but no way he can spill water in there,plusi have a fairly thick layer of exo earth and repti bark mix which is very absorbent. Don't see how that can affect a thermometer probe. Much if at all..I've had my set up like it is for a while,my snakes are doing great. I'm leaving things as are
    My apologies, I was thinking you were speaking about the thermostat probe. You are correct, this shouldn't affect the thermometer probe too much, and having a thermometer probe directly on the surface were the snake has the ability to reach is a good idea. The only thing I would say is to make sure you don't have the substrate too thick over the UTH, 1/4-1/2 inch thick is usually sufficient. If the substrate is too thick, it will defeat the purpose of having a UTH in the first place.
    Last edited by martin82531; 12-14-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

13. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

thejenius77 (12-15-2013)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12