Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,216

1 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Re: WTF happened? Bad Shed...

Quote Originally Posted by brettliff View Post
    What does OP mean. You're the second person to say it. I mean unless my three gauges including one digital are wrong. And if they are wrong they all came from different places with the same incorrect calibration. And I mentioned that I bathed them at the same times you do. But I'm buying him a humidity hide and some moss tomorrow. And his mat is all the way up.
    OP = Original Poster....i.e. you...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

NYHC4LIFE8899 (12-08-2013)

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

What does OP mean. You're the second person to say it. I mean unless my three gauges including one digital are wrong. And if they are wrong they all came from different places with the same incorrect calibration. And I mentioned that I bathed them at the same times you do. But I'm buying him a humidity hide and some moss tomorrow. And his mat is all the way up.
    Learning curve? More like just...nature, unpredictable. For example, my male BP has been with me for almost 9 years now...he has never had an imperfect shed. Now just last week, one of my sand boas had a bit of skin left on his tail that I got off, the last snake in my house I was worried about as far as humidity goes, lol. Three gauges? I use my nose to test humidity, saturate my ball and retic substrates on a weekly basis to keep it up for the week. What is your main substrate? A humid hide works for some people just make sure it still has good ventilation though...do not want any mold going on. I started using Zilla shed ease when it became common for rescues to come in with layers of skin and now I just keep it on hand in case; however, like another poster said, just plain H2O works.

OP= original poster, whoever created the thread.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shera View Post
    I have heard that this is true. That it's a bad idea to soak your BP while in shed and to only do it after to aid in the removal of any retained shed, because soaking before removes important oils. Also be sure to keep humidity up around 70% throughout the shedding process.
    You're spot on...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (12-09-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

What does OP mean. You're the second person to say it. I mean unless my three gauges including one digital are wrong. And if they are wrong they all came from differentwhat do up mean his mat places with the same incorrect calibration. And I mentioned that I bathed them at the same times you do. But I'm buying him a humidity hide and some moss tomorrow. And his mat is all the way up.
    What do you mean his heat matt is all the way up? I hope you have a thermostat on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Physician&Snakes View Post
    Learning curve? More like just...nature, unpredictable. For example, my male BP has been with me for almost 9 years now...he has never had an imperfect shed. Now just last week, one of my sand boas had a bit of skin left on his tail that I got off, the last snake in my house I was worried about as far as humidity goes, lol. Three gauges? I use my nose to test humidity, saturate my ball and retic substrates on a weekly basis to keep it up for the week. What is your main substrate? A humid hide works for some people just make sure it still has good ventilation though...do not want any mold going on. I started using Zilla shed ease when it became common for rescues to come in with layers of skin and now I just keep it on hand in case; however, like another poster said, just plain H2O works.

Yes three. I had two and bought a digital so I use them all. Also my exo terra is very deep (horizontally) so I test my temp in the front of the cage as well as the back. And there is a5 degree difference due to my lights being on the back of the cage.

And to the guy that asked what I meant by my heating pad being all the way up, yes I made a box with a dimmer switch with mar and female ends
    1.0 Normal

Thanks

Using thin cut aspen and I know what you mean by the smell of the substrate. You can tell if it's dry or not
    1.0 Normal

Thanks

Yes three. I had two and bought a digital so I use them all. Also my exo terra is very deep (horizontally) so I test my temp in the front of the cage as well as the back. And there is a5 degree difference due to my lights being on the back of the cage.

And to the guy that asked what I meant by my heating pad being all the way up, yes I made a box with a dimmer switch with mar and female ends
    As long as the ranges are OK, 75F+ cool side and 84-90F warm side, 5 degree shift is nothing to worry about. In 9 years of experience I have very mixed feelings toward thermostats; however, the general consensus on this board is that a T-stat is the ultimate safety belt against fires and burns caused by heat pads. If you decide to get one, Hydrofarm makes a decent model for under $40, if not good luck all the same.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Using thin cut aspen and I know what you mean by the smell of the substrate. You can tell if it's dry or not
    Uhhm, aspen does not take too well to humidity...very good for heat retention though. I use cypress mulch and coconut coir mainly and I love it because the cypress is very resistant to mold and thus can be saturated on a weekly basis and provide great humidity for my semi-tropical species.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Uhhm, aspen does not take too well to humidity...very good for heat retention though. I use cypress mulch and coconut coir mainly and I love it because the cypress is very resistant to mold and thus can be saturated on a weekly basis and provide great humidity for my semi-tropical species.
    sweeeeeeet, yeah i was gonna upgrade from the three dollar aspen at walmart after i ran out of it, and with the size of the craps he's taking lately it shouldnt take long.

cypress, got it.
    1.0 Normal

Thanks

As long as the ranges are OK, 75F+ cool side and 84-90F warm side, 5 degree shift is nothing to worry about. In 9 years of experience I have very mixed feelings toward thermostats; however, the general consensus on this board is that a T-stat is the ultimate safety belt against fires and burns caused by heat pads. If you decide to get one, Hydrofarm makes a decent model for under $40, if not good luck all the same.
    i hate thermostats. its a low wattage mat i'm really not worried about it getting to hot. i wish it got a little warmer honestly
    1.0 Normal

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast