Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

1 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Proper Striking.

Is there such a thing as a good striking snake.. I think my snakes strike perfect. They both seem to always strike at the rats face,then constrict the chest and throat. It just looks right. The kills are always quick. Sometimes if the rats a fighter a won't just die quick,I'll tug on the rats tail a bit and my ghost constricts tighter. It's not something I can say I enjoy watching,so i prefer the rat to be out of its misery as quick as possible.but Is there a right way for a snake to strike?

Thanks
    i don't really care how mine strikes as long as the rat isn't in a position to bite while struggling. Fed her tonight and she bit the underside of the hind leg and wrapped with the head and front arms hanging mostly out of the coil. wasn't quick but the rat couldn't hurt the snake. and you're right it isn't pleasant when they don't die quick =/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SKOOT3R For This Useful Post:

NYHC4LIFE8899 (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    I think you're looking for speed and accuracy if you're looking for the "perfect strike". As I feed F/T the strike isn't as important for the snakes safety as they prey cannot injure them but I do heat the head more for feeding to try to help with their accuracy and prevent them missing and potentially hitting something that could hurt them (e.g. striking and hitting the tub/water bowl etc)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Naom9Anne For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Proper Striking.

yesterday,this is how I'd say 80% of his strikes look like. Sometimes he has no patience and strikes where ever. It's rare though

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naom9Anne View Post
    I think you're looking for speed and accuracy if you're looking for the "perfect strike". As I feed F/T the strike isn't as important for the snakes safety as they prey cannot injure them but I do heat the head more for feeding to try to help with their accuracy and prevent them missing and potentially hitting something that could hurt them (e.g. striking and hitting the tub/water bowl etc)
    I agree. Yeah I'd say it's all about speed and accuracy..my guys as I'd think snakes strike fairly fast and accurate

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SKOOT3R View Post
    i don't really care how mine strikes as long as the rat isn't in a position to bite while struggling. Fed her tonight and she bit the underside of the hind leg and wrapped with the head and front arms hanging mostly out of the coil. wasn't quick but the rat couldn't hurt the snake. and you're right it isn't pleasant when they don't die quick =/
    I do feel bad at times doing this,but I guess it is what it is man

Thanks

Proper Striking.

Snakes are hard wired to strike well. They don't have much else that they do other than eat, sleep and poop. So striking and constricting food should come very naturally to them, but if they do have a bad strike they can usually make up for it by throwing another coil around its prey.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAC Reptiles For This Useful Post:

led-zep (12-08-2013),NYHC4LIFE8899 (12-08-2013)

Thanks
    Lately my snakes been striking good ''Finally'' I say that because my normal has a weird butt fetish lol for the first 3 weeks of feeding's, when I would dance the f/t she flick your tongue and would always go for the butt even when the tongs were holding that area, weird! even has ate a rat pup butt first. It's maybe cause she is small and still learning.

The photo look's like a winning strike!
    Ball Pythons
    Normal (Alana)
    Mojave (Achilles)
    Spotnose (Apollo)
    Albino (Banana)

Cats
    Sam
    Baby
    Little Kitty
    Cotton
    Hunter
    Lightning

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jessica87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm glad I feed F/T because my boy isn't all that accurate. He hits hard and fast but there have been times where he's missed the prey entirely and just zipped on by. I know that I'm engaging in anthropomorphism but on those occasions he looks all like, "I meant to do that!" My husband feeds him using tongs and one time, Skull hit so hard that he ripped the tail off the rat. He doesn't tend to strike in the same area all the time either. I've watched hit the rear end first and just swallow it like that. It's not unusual for him to take a couple of strikes before he actually hits it to his satisfaction. He just hits so hard that he knocks the prey around.

Thanks

Proper Striking.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
    I'm glad I feed F/T because my boy isn't all that accurate. He hits hard and fast but there have been times where he's missed the prey entirely and just zipped on by. I know that I'm engaging in anthropomorphism but on those occasions he looks all like, "I meant to do that!" My husband feeds him using tongs and one time, Skull hit so hard that he ripped the tail off the rat. He doesn't tend to strike in the same area all the time either. I've watched hit the rear end first and just swallow it like that. It's not unusual for him to take a couple of strikes before he actually hits it to his satisfaction. He just hits so hard that he knocks the prey around.
    Mine does this too. It actually made me question his eyesight. Hearing he's not the only one makes me feel a bit better.

Sent from my TARDIS using Tapatalk
    "if you plan for a year, plant rice. If you plan for a decade, plant trees. If you plan for a lifetime, educate people." - Chinese Proverb

1.0 Normal BP - Tiki
    0.0.1 Albino Corn - Fuego
    0.0.1 Snow Corn - Zero
    1.0 Jack Russell - Bosco
    1.0 Morkie - Rocky
    1.0 Awesome Kid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast