Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,346

2 members and 3,344 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Heat Tape Recomendations

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeGuy View Post
    Well, that escalated quickly. AND GETTING BACK TO THE SUBJECT MATTER BEFORE THE THREAD WAS HIJACKED. I use THG heat tape cut into individual pieces(which Reptile Basics will do for you if you ask), each piece is properly CRIMPED and insulated for safety. These strips are all wired together and plugged into a HERPSTAT 1 from Spyder Robotics. It was a bit costly but altogether I don't regret these purchases because of the reliability and safety of their respective products.
    Actually wasn't jacked, more of a lesson on using the proper tools on the job at hand.
    What is your difference in temps when plugging multiple pieces into a power strip then into your stat?
    I wire all of mine together and then only have one plug into the stat from each rack.
    Some people like each piece having its own plug so they can replace it when it goes bad.
    Its just as easy to do when they are soldered together too.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Personally I wouldn't use anything zoomed brand. My rack has flex watt on it, run by a herpstat. My boas and gtp all have the newer thg tape, again run by herpstats. All of my connections are soldered. I do prefer thg, and will eventually be changing my rack to that. Reptile basics, and spyder robotics can provide you with all you will need for your snake.

NYHC, stop talking about stuff you have no experience with. Are you just trying to up your post count? Proper connections whether soldered or crimped are very important, as that could be a potential fire hazard. I hope newbies don't come on and find your crap info and follow that. And taking swings at a mod? Smart move.
    Last edited by DooLittle; 12-08-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

led-zep (12-08-2013),MsGolightly (12-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Actually wasn't jacked, more of a lesson on using the proper tools on the job at hand.
    What is your difference in temps when plugging multiple pieces into a power strip then into your stat?
    I wire all of mine together and then only have one plug into the stat from each rack.
    Some people like each piece having its own plug so they can replace it when it goes bad.
    I don't think he was talking about power strips. If I understand his meaning, he cuts the tape into strips,wires them all into a single cable, then plugs that into the Tstat. Basically creating a multiple element heater.

Nice 2A sticker BTW. I actually started a blog page a while back called Pythons, Pistols, and Pit Bulls. 3 things I advocate for very passionately.

Also, having been an avionics tech and aircraft electrician for both the Navy and Northrop Grumman, I've built a pretty impressive collection of crimping tools. I've got a few turret crimps that set me back $200+. $60 for a crimper? I'll take two please, and call it a bargain.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to patientz3ro For This Useful Post:

led-zep (12-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patientz3ro View Post
    I don't think he was talking about power strips. If I understand his meaning, he cuts the tape into strips,wires them all into a single cable, then plugs that into the Tstat. Basically creating a multiple element heater.
    Yeah, my bad there, I saw the Reptile Basics and didn't think of them just cutting it. I know they will install the plugs too.

Quote Originally Posted by patientz3ro View Post
    Nice 2A sticker BTW. I actually started a blog page a while back called Pythons, Pistols, and Pit Bulls. 3 things I advocate for very passionately.
    TY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Yeah I wire all mine together too. Actually I have flexwatt I got off Ebay on a couple of the top shelves. Later I moved to using Reptile Basic's THG. For me both are working great I monitor them with a temp gun. And I soldered all mine together then used liquid electrical tape, about 4 coats. Flux is the key to good solder joints.
    Last edited by led-zep; 12-08-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by led-zep View Post
    Yeah I wire all mine together too. Actually I have flexwatt I got off Ebay on a couple of the top shelves. Later I moved to using Reptile Basic's THG. For me both are working great I monitor them with a temp gun. And I soldered all mine together then used liquid electrical tape, about 4 coats.
    You're running the two different tapes on the same thermostat?
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DooLittle View Post
    You're running the two different tapes on the same thermostat?
    Yep. I know some don't agree with that but it's just until I can phase all the flexwatt stuff out. They are all 4" that are hooked to one thermostat though. I have some 11" on the 41qt tubs but they have a different thermostat. I monitor them all morning and evening with my temp gun, they are all within 1 degree of each other. And its only 4 shelves.
    Last edited by led-zep; 12-08-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    I used both kind and can't wait for the new version of flex to hit the shelves in 2014. I cant tell the difference they do the same thing
    1.0 Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 100% Anery Boa
    1.0 Abbyline Het Kahl
    1.0 Blood Het Alb Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by led-zep View Post
    Yep. I know some don't agree with that but it's just until I can phase all the flexwatt stuff out. They are all 4" that are hooked to one thermostat though. I have some 11" on the 41qt tubs but they have a different thermostat. I monitor them all morning and evening with my temp gun, they are all within 1 degree of each other. And its only 4 shelves.
    how are you running to different kind on the same temp controller
    1.0 Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 100% Anery Boa
    1.0 Abbyline Het Kahl
    1.0 Blood Het Alb Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southbay54 View Post
    how are you running to different kind on the same temp controller
    More thank likely they are the same wattage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast