Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,353

3 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Tight Budget watering system?

I'am getting swamped with mice mama's right now and at point where i NEED more racks. Rack its self i can do quick but i cant afford right now to throw money into bottles or high end fittings and I don't personally like watering systems but for a 16 bin petmate litter box rack I need it. Ebay sometimes has gems and I was wondering if anyone has used these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CH2-20SETS-R...item4ac89fd8da

I know you get what you pay for but sometimes this stuff works?
    I have had a rack that was not built by me flood using similar fittings thus why I don't like auto watering systems.

For the price and if you throw in a good valve to keep the pressure low ? Any ideas or comments for a budget watering system for 16 bins.

Thanks

Tight Budget watering system?

I personally would not trust a 20 bin watering system for 7$. That just seems way to low of a price for something that can potentially drown my rodents. I mean that is the price of just two or three valves from edstrum. Just don't think it's worth it.

Thanks
    Edstrom is like 8 bucks off the site, reptile basics is only place iv got them cheap at like $3 a pop. I may just have to stop acting cheap and get them for this rack.
    I may order it in the future to test, ebay says the 1 seller sold 285 but cant find a review online anywhere.

Thanks
    I would really like to hear from someone who might have tested these or know of someone who might have mentioned using them.

Thanks
    For people worried about drowning, i drilled holes in the bottom of my plastic bins, and then glued metal washers on both sides of the hole to prevent chewing, and put a small bit of mesh wire in between the washers to prevent babies from falling through or anything like that. So if it ever did leak, it would be able to drain quickly and I'd just have some very sad wet rodents, instead of a bunch of very dead rodents.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

fxs (12-15-2013),Kat_Dog (12-10-2013),SlitherinSisters (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Tight Budget watering system?

I wouldn't trust anything cheap. I've lost dozens of rats because of leaky nozzles. I have tried both kinds of nozzles from Reptile Basics, but I really prefer the vari-flow valves, these: http://www.reptilebasics.com/vari-flow-drinking-valve I do not like the rodent valves, these: http://www.reptilebasics.com/rodent-...rinking-valve/ I've had nothing but trouble with them. I contacted Rich and he was great, sent me new parts which fixed the problem, but as soon as they get dirty again they leak. You have to take them apart fairly often to clean them, and I'm just too lazy for that. The Vari-Flow valves don't have that problem. I've had maybe one of those leak in the 4 years I've been using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    For people worried about drowning, i drilled holes in the bottom of my plastic bins, and then glued metal washers on both sides of the hole to prevent chewing, and put a small bit of mesh wire in between the washers to prevent babies from falling through or anything like that. So if it ever did leak, it would be able to drain quickly and I'd just have some very sad wet rodents, instead of a bunch of very dead rodents.
    That's a really good idea!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (12-09-2013)