Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,317

1 members and 3,316 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Question Weight-Length Ratio?

Hi there everyone! I'm new here. This looks like a great place to get into the world of BPs, so I joined up!
    I just rescued a little gal earlier this week from a friend of a friend who was desperate to be rid of her before graduating this semester. She's my first BP and I am very excited to have saved her!

She's in okay condition, and has a pretty nasty history of bad owners. Surprisingly though, she handles very well. Could use a little work, but all in all she's very sweet considering her history.

My question is what length/weight ratio is healthy for a BP? Is there one?
    Peaches, as she's called, is ~3 years (a complete guess, owner knows for a fact she's at least 2 and a half. She could be older), measures ~30 inches and is 440 grams. Is this about where she should be? I think she looks a little on the skinny side, but her body doesn't have that defined triangle-shape that a starving snake would have. But she isn't perfectly round either.

I just want to make sure that if she is under-weight or under-sized that I take extra care good care of her. She's on adult mice right now.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    0.1 Regular BP - Peaches
    0.1 Black Lab - Avery
    1.1.6 Chinese Fire Bellied Newts - Cupid, Apollo, Simba, Squirt, Nemo, Vader, Lee, Xiao

In a generous mood? Consider donating $5 to help send my dad back home to London.
    http://www.gofundme.com/6g32zk

Thanks

Re: Weight-Length Ratio?

All snakes grow at different times. If she was neglected then that answers for why shes so small. Try to get her on rats. Get the same size rat that you would the mouse. Rats have a bit more meat/fat than mice do. Don't immediately start feeding her every few days. Work your way up to it. She'll grow as she grows. My girl is more slender than most females.

Thanks

Re: Weight-Length Ratio?

EDIT: I don't know how this got posted, it was in my drafts on an open tab. IDK. The thread I opened instead is here: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ed-some-advice
    0.1 Regular BP - Peaches
    0.1 Black Lab - Avery
    1.1.6 Chinese Fire Bellied Newts - Cupid, Apollo, Simba, Squirt, Nemo, Vader, Lee, Xiao

In a generous mood? Consider donating $5 to help send my dad back home to London.
    http://www.gofundme.com/6g32zk

Banned
    Thanks
    My bigger guys still a baby at 6 months old and is appx 20" and 352 grams..my little guy is 85 grams about 2 1/2 months old and I'd say is about 12"