Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

3 members and 3,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Modifying broken terrarium

I work at pet stores and today we discovered one of our Zilla Bearded Dragon kits was cracked upon arrival! Oh no! The entire front panel was shattered. The rest is intact. The store took the supplies out of the kit, but the terrarium itself will be disposed of, so I offered to take it off their hands. They are saving it for me until it can be inventoried on Monday.
    Here is a link to the tank: http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/...dragon-kit.htm

The terrarium itself is glass and comes with the awesome lid shown in the picture, but I figured I could replace that front panel with some plexiglass. Would that be an appropriate fix? Unless Home Depot is willing to get me a panel of glass at the right size or cut one down for me, I don't see glass being a realistic option. It is a 20L tank and I think my girl would be very happy in there. She's getting tired of her tub and is growing much faster than our other snakes.

What would you guys recommend I use to fix this tank up & get it up to BP speed? Gonna swing by Home Depot tomorrow and see if they have any appropriate materials immediately, but if not, what should I order/look for? What adhesive is appropriate to use in a reptile enclosure? Could I use a material other than plexiglass?

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Modifying broken terrarium

I always use water proof silicon in my repairs. I would use plexi-glass as it would take some weight off. 20-gals can get pretty narrow when it comes to adult females so you might want to be ready to move up again eventually...but hey a free tank is a free tank.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Physician&Snakes For This Useful Post:

led-zep (12-08-2013)

Banned
    Thanks
    Put some pics up..that would help better..I have a few ideas but would help more if I saw pics

dependimg how damaged it is,if your handy u can ,always cut the glass out and piece it in with a piece plexiglass. Use water proof silicone on inside and outside and even screw some brackets on it,stainless steel screws but screw from inside tank out obviously,then get a grinder and grind off the point part of the screws,if not a grinder a hacksaw will do,that's to cut the pointy part of the screw
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-08-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks

I don't have any pics since it is still at the store until it can be cleared off as damaged. But as soon as I get it, I will post some. Essentially the problem is just what you are describing: one panel of glass can be removed and replaced with a different material. Plexiglass seems to be the preferred material, so I'll likely do that. Would waterproof silicone work to seal it in place, then? Can I acquire this at a pet store as aquarium sealant or is this a different product? I'd like to avoid bolting the plexiglass in place as that requires tools I'd rather not worry about for now, plus the added risk of sharp edges, etc...

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBird View Post
    I don't have any pics since it is still at the store until it can be cleared off as damaged. But as soon as I get it, I will post some. Essentially the problem is just what you are describing: one panel of glass can be removed and replaced with a different material. Plexiglass seems to be the preferred material, so I'll likely do that. Would waterproof silicone work to seal it in place, then? Can I acquire this at a pet store as aquarium sealant or is this a different product? I'd like to avoid bolting the plexiglass in place as that requires tools I'd rather not worry about for now, plus the added risk of sharp edges, etc...
    If you want to remove the entire broken panel then a completely new piece can be added by placing a channel in the front and then using silicon to to completely attach things...I have never used aquarium sealant but I have heard good things.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Physician&Snakes View Post
    I always use water proof silicon in my repairs. I would use plexi-glass as it would take some weight off. 20-gals can get pretty narrow when it comes to adult females so you might want to be ready to move up again eventually...but hey a free tank is a free tank.

All silicone is waterproof. What you need is aquarium grade silicone which is just pure silicone without all the mould and mildew inhibitors added. You can get this at pet stores but, it tends to be rather expensive there or you can research and buy it in standard tubes for a caulking gun. I believe GE makes an aquarium grade silicone and the 3 pack of 500ml is less expensive than a 200ml "toothpaste tube" at local pet stores here.

You could use plexiglass but, keep in mind it scratches very easily and is probably going to look rough in no time. Call a Glazier with a description of what you need (dimensions, thickness and glass type) and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

Banned
    Thanks
    It all depends on the fix he wants and if he wants to call a glass glazier..idk how prices run,but also depends where the damage is,if it's back of tank or sides who cares if the plexi glass gets dull.aslong as it's not the face of the tank it's all good.

but OP like physicians and snakes said.if the glass is removable add a camel and place and seal in a piece of plexi glass,very cheap and should cost nothing much.. But look into a glazier if you like,maybe it won't be that expensive. I know me,I would go into all that,I'd just quick fix it myself especially if it isn't the front glass.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raven01 View Post

You could use plexiglass but, keep in mind it scratches very easily and is probably going to look rough in no time. Call a Glazier with a description of what you need (dimensions, thickness and glass type) and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Agreed, down Where I live plexiglass (we mainly have Lexan) costs more than replacement glass.
    Last edited by led-zep; 12-08-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by led-zep View Post
    Agreed, down Where I live plexiglass (we mainly have Lexan) costs more than replacement glass.
    Dude no way man...I was just in Home Depot and was looking at sheets of plexi glass and they were in the range of $5-$25 for like 4x8 sheets and I'm sure to replace one side of glass,I believe the $5 sheet maybe it was $6 was like 3x3...

he he has one side of glass to replace and how big will the piece be12x 18 maybe ..
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-08-2013 at 02:35 AM.