Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

0 members and 3,213 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating problems

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Eating problems

Quote Originally Posted by EntertheWutang View Post
    Oh okay. Thank you! And yes in the enclosure! I put the rat hopper in there with him and they had a standoff for literally 5 minutes but he didn't eat and eventually scurried away into the branches so I grabbed the rat and tried the bathtub and that didn't work either...I know they're pesky eaters, but I'm just worried and trying everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get a really small mouse hopper (~10g) and a really small rat pup (~18 to ~20g). Feed the mouse first. When the mouse is in the belly, feed the rat pup. Your snake should still be in feeding mode.
    Last edited by 200xth; 12-06-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks

Eating problems

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    I would still feed one at a time though, dont put both mice in alive at once.
    What if my snake isn't even eating a small rat pup? Is my snake going to start to starve? Cause I know in the wild they can survive off of like 3 meals a yesr

Thanks

my 800g male has been off food since it is breeding season and we usually feed him f/t. last week i thawed a small rat for him and left it in his enclosure overnight, in the morning it was gone. i would thaw whatever you have and leave it in there overnight. some seem to want to eat late at night and when no one is around.

Banned
    Thanks
    I'd say forget the whole 2 mice thing and start him on rats right away..as soon as I made the switch from mice to rats,my guys started to blow up.

uually of your enclosure isn't right especially as babies that can affect them I'd think,cause from my experience with mine and what I hear from others,babies shouldn't be rejecting meals and should eat atleast every 5 days

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NYHC4LIFE8899 For This Useful Post:

EntertheWutang (12-07-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jesst View Post
    my 800g male has been off food since it is breeding season and we usually feed him f/t. last week i thawed a small rat for him and left it in his enclosure overnight, in the morning it was gone. i would thaw whatever you have and leave it in there overnight. some seem to want to eat late at night and when no one is around.
    Yes only FT. Never leave a larger feeder in iver night alone with a snake...a rat pup or hopper or pinkies is fine if that's the case. I wouldn't anything larger

Thanks

Eating problems

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post
    I'd say forget the whole 2 mice thing and start him on rats right away..as soon as I made the switch from mice to rats,my guys started to blow up.

uually of your enclosure isn't right especially as babies that can affect them I'd think,cause from my experience with mine and what I hear from others,babies shouldn't be rejecting meals and should eat atleast every 5 days
    I had him on frozen rats for 3-4 weeks, it seemed like once I made the transition from mice to rats, it all went down hill. I was feeding him 45g rats no problem. I'm pretty sure he took down a 52g one as well. Then he had no interest whatsoever, and went a month without eating. I would leave the rats in the habitat all night, I called my reptile center and they said try a mouse cause he might be more familiar with that smell and he refused the frozen jumbo mouse. So as my last resort, I tried a live one and he ate it. It's been 3 weeks since he last ate and he's doing the same exact thing.

Banned
    Thanks
    Hmm...idk man..usually I think live sparks a response over FT. My little guy wanted nothing to do with FT and still doesn't. He will only eat live and switched to rats easily. These snakes are weird bro,so I feel ya man.d just double check all my temps and you don't need the humid super high about an avg of 50 is,when in shed keep it up around70-80, that's how I have my set up. But at 270 grams he shouldn't be rejecting meals. Def double check. My one guy is 85 grams and my other 352 grams, so far so good.

Thanks
    My Lex is on a strike again, this is week number 3 that she's refused, nothing has changed she's just a bugger, tried a bigger mouse, smaller mouse, just tried a rat (she's at 400 grams), she is just like that.
    Just gave the other 3 their first rat pups and they ate them no problem!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

EntertheWutang (12-08-2013)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12