Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

0 members and 2,826 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Question Clarification On Heating Questions For A Beginner, Please

Hello to everyone! My name is Alyssa and the newest addition to my household is a baby male BP, Mali. I have never had a snake before and after two trips to the local reptile store and one to Home Depot, I'm overthinking and feel like I've taken a few steps back. My greatest worry so far has been heating and although I've read countless threads on here, I'm more confused now then I was before. I explained to the worker at the local reptile store, where I got Mali, that I am a first timer and needed some advice on equipment even after reading into BP husbandry. The initial equipment advised for his setup was:
    -100W Neoddymium Day Bright
    -Fluker's Dimmable Clamp Lamp 8.5"
    -Fluker's Digital Thermo-Hygrometer
    -Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium 12x12x12
    -Exo-Terra Branch (Small)
    -Exo-Terra Reptile Cave (Medium)
    -Zoo Reptile Rock Water Dish (Medium)
    -Zoo Aspen Bedding

I used my own humidifier and the hygrometer goes between 48-60%. My room is normally between 70-80F, as I tend to keep the door closed and I have central AC/heat. The clamp lamp was a pain setting up, as I have no stand and putting it on top of the mesh meant it took up the whole terrarium. Not one area like I'd read. I rigged it above by a few inches and angled it, but after seeing how bright the Neo DB light was, I figured that was wrong regardless. I was terrified of the stupid thing overheating, so I went to Home Depot before work and got a Defiant 15 Amp 24-Hour Plug-In Mechanical Big Button Timer. I read a few reviews that said it was difficult to program, but I went home and had no trouble at all hooking it up to the lamp and programming it. I went back to the local reptile store after work (the reason I went back is because this all started with a gift card I got for my birthday, so I figured I could remedy the lamp issue and second hide I needed). My second trip resulted in more recommended equipment:
    -Basking stump
    -Exo-Terra Thermometer (I wanted a dial one for the back of the terrarium)
    -RZIL Mini Halogen Lamp
    -RZIL Mini Halogen Fixture
    -Rainforest background (to cover the two bare sides of the glass terrarium)

I came home and setup the new lamp which gives a nice forgiving reddish glow. Since this one isn't dimmable I'm having a bit of a hard time keeping the temperatures where they should be and when. Last night, the digital thermometer I got on my first store trip went over 106F under the basking area before the screen began darkening over, but the dial near it read about 80F. I'm not looking to cook Mali. Should I change out the halogen for something else? I'm not sure what lamps/bulbs are used for what purpose. Perhaps I should get a CHE deep dome? Is that a 24/7 lamp, because I keep reading about this day/night periods separate that I can't quite figure out. Mali has stayed in his rock cave for the exception of 2 times over the past 4 days and doesn't seem interested at all in basking. When I have had to move his rock to clean out his business, he seems to be breathing heavy. I don't know if that's lack of heat or too much. The humidity is right where it should be. Should I leave the halogen lamp on 24/7 or leave it on the timer? Currently it is only set to go on 6 times in 12 hours for a half hour at a time. I'm not understanding the difference in day/night lighting, so I also have it on at night while I'm asleep. It's a 50W lamp for a 25W bulb and I'm a bit worried that it'll become a fire hazard if I leave it on 24/7, so if there is something safer also I'd like to know.

I'm going to Home Depot later to get a Accu-Rite Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer just in case. Right now at 2am, the meters read the cold side is about 77F / 51% and the basking area is about 82F. I'm sorry for the length, but you folks seem like you'll be able to help clarify what lamp/bulb to use and when and why and for how long. I haven't slept much since I got him, maybe 12 hours in 4 nights, so thank you for reading this rambling and thank you for any clarification you can provide!

-Alyssa & Mali

Thanks
    I will try to help as much as I can for this seems to be bothering you and none more experienced than me has answered yet so here it goes:

So I assume Mali is in a glass enclosure? For those your best thing for heat are lamps and under tank heaters (UTHs). UTHs are stuck on the bottom of enclosures and should cover no more than one third of the enclosure's underside. The UTH can be nice for a hot side but it NEEDS to be controlled by a reliable thermostat which are often expensive. My best option at the moment are lamps for my room cant stay warm enough to maintain a favorable ambient temperature. I have 2 lamps on my BP's glass enclosure. One on the hot side stays at 90 degrees, while the one on the cool end is on a dial thermostat to keep it at about 82-84 degrees.

You keep talking about day/light cycles which ARE NOT necessary for ball pythons. Although they do not appreciate bright lighting, a red or dark purple bulb can be used 24/7 and will not be hazardous unless poorly taken care of. As for her staying in her rock, just make sure the temps are correct and regulated. My thermostat was about $30 and works fine. Make sure she has 2 hides on each side of the enclosure as well. I use zilla dark purple 75 watt bulbs by the way and flukers lamps.

If you just got her, dont worry about her hiding alot, she is just stressed about the new home so give her time to settle in and try not to handle her too much.

And congrats on the BP and welcome to the site!

feel free to ask more questions the people on here are awesome, hopefully a more experienced keeper will chime in as well
    WVU

1.1 Red Tail Boas (Dennis & Penny)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eazyyyb For This Useful Post:

MaliPython (12-05-2013)

Thanks

Re: Clarification On Heating Questions For A Beginner, Please

Please check out the following link which will clarify how to set up a glass tank and probably will answer 90% of your questions.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?201740-How-to-Setup-a-Glass-Tank-(20-long)-With-Pictures!&highlight=glass+tank+setup

On the topic of lighting: Ball pythons don't need a light schedule or even any LIGHT bulbs to be on (this should not be confused with HEAT bulbs). As long as there's daylight that should be plenty.

In regards to heat lamp: you can use either a ceramic heat emitter (which is pretty much a ceramic bulb that only produces heat with no light) or infrared heat lamp (which gives off that red or black light) If your heat lamp doesn't come with a dimmer, use a Home Depot or Lowes light lamp dimmer like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_316275-539-TT-300NLH-BL_0__?productId=3189423I

hope this helps at least a little bit. Definitely get a digital thermometer so you can monitor the temperature. Besides the Accurite thermometer, I'd also suggest to get a Digital Infrared Thermometer which you can just click around and get temps.

http://www.petco.com/product/115362/Zoo-Med-Repti-Temp-Digital-Infrared-Thermometer.aspx
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 12-05-2013 at 05:16 AM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

MaliPython (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    - Definitely go for an under-tank heat mat. They aren't super cheap, somewhere between 20$ and 40$ for an appropriately sized one. Select one that covers about 1/3 to 1/4 of the bottom of your enclosure. If it is smaller than the width of your tank try to stick it centered between the from and back, and again to one side.

- I don't have the link handy but Hydro farm makes decent digital thermostats, and they are sold on amazon. I would pick up one of those and set the probe over the middle of your heat mat. The center of the heat mats are slightly hotter than the edges so thats what I set my t-stats by.

- I don't use heat lamps for a few reasons. They dry out the air quite a bit. They aren't very energy efficient. Ball pythons don't need special lighting. And I don't find the small amount of heat they provide outside of where the light is pointing to be necessary.

- And as stated above. If you need more than the UTH can provide, go with a ceramic emitter and a dimmer.
    Last edited by wycked; 12-05-2013 at 05:27 AM.
    0.1 Pinstripe (Xena)
    0.1 Champagne (Calysto)
    0.1 Spider (Freya)
    0.1 Mojave (Azhara)
    1.0 Super Fire (Pyre)
    1.0 Normal (Xerxes)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wycked For This Useful Post:

MaliPython (12-05-2013)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Everyone hit it pretty good, Can you post a couple pictures?

Thanks

Talking Just An Update

I switched the rock cave hide to the hot side and the tree stump hide to the cool side. The temperature and humidity are right where they should be 24/7. Mali seems like he's finally getting comfy and I am able to sleep through the night without worrying about the dome halogen lamp spontaneously combusting. Thank you to everyone for your input and help!!!

Banned
    Thanks

Ppl tend to way over think about setting up an enclosure around here..don't drive your self crazy,OP.

you will prob have to try a few different watt bulbs,different things to set humidity etc.. To get right temps and humidity..Make sure u set your heat mat with a thermostat and monitor it with a thermometer. Get a hygrometer,I use a regular analog one. Set a large water bowl in the middle of the tank heat dome on the hot side as well... Mist if needed,or keep a very wet thick rag/s covering most all the top of the screen. Depending on substrate add some sphagnum moss if needed. There are ways I have found easy to keep humidity up.yes , It's really that simple.i keep a sticker thermometer on the hot side as well,which I never even really look at. I use the same bulbs all the time and use the same set up every time,nothing changes,cause it works.

if I told you the set ups that people I know have for there snakes and BPs,you'd prob see the basics are fine and no need to drive your self crazy.

this is basically my set up. Simple and easy and efficient. I have no issues.
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-14-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wycked View Post
    - Definitely go for an under-tank heat mat. They aren't super cheap, somewhere between 20$ and 40$ for an appropriately sized one. Select one that covers about 1/3 to 1/4 of the bottom of your enclosure. If it is smaller than the width of your tank try to stick it centered between the from and back, and again to one side.

- I don't have the link handy but Hydro farm makes decent digital thermostats, and they are sold on amazon. I would pick up one of those and set the probe over the middle of your heat mat. The center of the heat mats are slightly hotter than the edges so thats what I set my t-stats by.

- I don't use heat lamps for a few reasons. They dry out the air quite a bit. They aren't very energy efficient. Ball pythons don't need special lighting. And I don't find the small amount of heat they provide outside of where the light is pointing to be necessary.

- And as stated above. If you need more than the UTH can provide, go with a ceramic emitter and a dimmer.
    I use heat lamps,cause I prefer for the tank to stay warmer,especially since I live in NY and it can get cold and cooler during seasons...mats don't heat the tank,they heat a spot. But whatever works for everyone's snake is what matters most. (BECAUSE THERE IS NO ONE RIGHT WAY TO SET UP A TANK ( a few certain ppl here think there way is the only way)..And yeah with bulbs running and heat mats running 24/7 for two tanks..my elec bills gone up about $25-$30 a month sucks but worth it.
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-14-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks

Clarification On Heating Questions For A Beginner, Please

When using my glass setup I actually insulated the tank with this stuff. Only used it on the bottom though.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-2...ion/100020855/

When I setup the heat for the enclosure I put all the heat sources on one side of the tank. In this particular scenario, it created a perfect hot/cool side. I used a bulb that at first was on a dimmer but eventually hooked it up to a proportional thermostat so I didn't have to keep adjusting the dimmer.

Since I had a screen mesh lid, I actually used some of that insulation to create a removable cover to help keep in temperatures and humidity up.

After I was done I put a white towel on the top so it looked a little nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by martin82531; 12-14-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Thanks

Clarification On Heating Questions For A Beginner, Please

I found this on another website but this is how I tried to mimic my glass setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python