Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

2 members and 3,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Dear Mods (and other experts)

I'd be willing to write it if you guys want to start sending me images. I'm pretty sure I can put it together without opening myself or anyone else to a lawsuit.

If that works for everyone, you can email pics to patientz3ro@gmail.com

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to patientz3ro For This Useful Post:

Libby (12-04-2013)

Thanks
    A couple of things I'd like for this to cover would be any issues with snakes rubbing on the tops of terrarium screens to the point where they can get raw injuries. I know mine can get bored/curious and end up upside down with a third of himself smushed against the top, so I know he probably rubs some, but it hasn't become an issue so far.

Another great subject to cover would be signs and symptoms of common injuries and illnesses that most snake owners would do well to know about.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ViperSRT3g For This Useful Post:

Libby (12-04-2013)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Here are my $0.02 on the matter:

A thread with this type of information isn't necessarily the best idea. Yes there is some general information that should be available readily, but I think most of that has already been covered. For more extreme cases I feel that individual threads about x, y, or z are much better for a few reasons.

Many times that a snake is injured or becomes sick there is a reason why it happened. In a general thread about this the source of the issue might not be made apparent to the user and thus the issue wasn't actually resolved. Treating the symptoms and not the underlying issue will likely result in either the treatment not working, or the issue reoccurring. If that user creates a new thread with the specific details other users will usually ask questions and find out what went wrong. No matter how hard you try you just can't write an all inclusive thread on this type of stuff.

Then there is the issue of user experience. In some cases I would recommend totally different procedures to an experienced keeper than I would to a newcomer to the hobby. This goes for husbandry as well. For example I would never recommend to a newcomer to house 2 BP's in the same cage, but I feel that an experienced keeper can make it work with proper caging and procedures.

Finally there is the issue of user misidentification. The last thing you need is have someone treat a snake for the wrong thing. For example scale rot and a burn can look similar, but they require different treatments, and they are caused by very different things.

All in all I would be very cautious about writing a thread of this sort. I would much rather see a thread about identifying problems and what might be causing them, basically a critical thinking exercise. I feel this information is more useful and has less potential for things to go wrong.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 12-04-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (12-04-2013),dr del (12-04-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post

A thread with this type of information isn't necessarily the best idea. Yes there is some general information that should be available readily, but I think most of that has already been covered. For more extreme cases I feel that individual threads about x, y, or z are much better for a few reasons.

Many times that a snake is injured or becomes sick there is a reason why it happened. In a general thread about this the source of the issue might not be made apparent to the user and thus the issue wasn't actually resolved. Treating the symptoms and not the underlying issue will likely result in either the treatment not working, or the issue reoccurring. If that user creates a new thread with the specific details other users will usually ask questions and find out what went wrong. No matter how hard you try you just can't write an all inclusive thread on this type of stuff.

Then there is the issue of user experience. In some cases I would recommend totally different procedures to an experienced keeper than I would to a newcomer to the hobby. This goes for husbandry as well. For example I would never recommend to a newcomer to house 2 BP's in the same cage, but I feel that an experienced keeper can make it work with proper caging and procedures.

Finally there is the issue of user misidentification. The last thing you need is have someone treat a snake for the wrong thing. For example scale rot and a burn can look similar, but they require different treatments, and they are caused by very different things.

All in all I would be very cautious about writing a thread of this sort. I would much rather see a thread about identifying problems and what might be causing them, basically a critical thinking exercise. I feel this information is more useful and has less potential for things to go wrong.
    You raise a number of valid points, and I agree with a lot of them. My motivation for getting behind this is that while All the general info is out there, it would be useful to have some of the more common problems and solutions in one place.

Like I said earlier, if I can get enough good photos of different problems that people have had, I think I can put something together that we can all benefit from.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post

If someone is determined to do something stupid, you aren't going to be able to stop them. Not going to argue with you about that!

As an adult living with another adult and a child, I have several books on first aid and a couple specific pediatric books. Basic stuff. If a fever goes over 103 degrees and you can't get it down, get medical attention. I also have a book on cat first aid from when I owned a cat.

Now that I have a bp, I own a copy of "The Complete Ball Python" even though I have no interest in ever breeding. It has a chapter on "Common Health Concerns", like ticks, mites, RI's and stuck sheds. It does NOT tell me what to do if (heaven forbid) my snake were ever scraped, bumped or bruised by accident. Let's say it's 10pm and my snake gets a cut. I know perfectly well the emergency vet clinic won't be able to treat her and I need to take care of her until I can get her to a herp vet in the morning. Knowing that I should never, ever try to put any kind of tape on her (like a bandaid) and that I should keep her on paper towel instead of aspen is helpful. Knowing if there is something more proactive that I should or should not do would be wonderful.

I'm a relatively new keeper and I've done my best to educate myself. BP.net is the best source of information I've found on the internet. Basic snake first aid is something I'd like to learn more about, so I was hoping someone here would be willing to teach. If no one is comfortable posting this kind of thing, I would appreciate it if someone could point me to book that I could get for myself.
    My family:
    1.0 spouse
    1.0 child
    0.1 Normal BP "Millie"
    1.0 East African Sand Boa "Leto"

My blog:
    www.AllergicKid.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Libby For This Useful Post:

thejenius77 (12-04-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I like the idea, but I don't think it's necessary either. Not all situations are the same and cannot be addressed in the same manner. Not everyone has the same resources to help their animal. Every situation might have to be addressed accordingly to that specific situation and not in general. Also, maybe have a stickied thread of essentials to have in a basic "reptile first aide kit".

Most of the 'general and common' injuries and illnesses have been covered. Like what to do when your snake gets a respiratory infection or a burn, for example. And pink belly and a minor minor burn can look similar.

The thread where a member instructed the OP to amputate her snake's tail was not a common occurrence. Yes, reptiles do get necrotic tails, but I'm talking about the advice for a DIY at home amputation. That advice was ridiculous and a form of cruelty in my opinion. And the OP was foolish enough to listen to that without listening to the other posters or even go to a vet.

And if someone is really that worried and unsure about their animal and it's in a potentially emergency situation, for goodness sake, take it to the vet! They shouldn't sit on their butt waiting online to hear back from complete strangers. Yes, some of us are very experienced and have great insight on certain situations. But that doesn't change the fact, no body here is an actual qualified herp veterinarian. Some things are just out of an internet forum's league.

And if you can't afford to take your animal to the vet, don't own animals!! Get a pet rock! Some, not all, DIY home treatments can be worse than just leaving your animal be.

Anyway, rant over.
    For basic-minor injuries, it should be treated the same way as human injuries. (Clean the wound with Betadine or other antiseptic and maybe apply a medicated cream, for example)
    The only thing you have to watch out for is the products you use. Some safe things for humans could be toxic to reptiles. For example, Neosporin with pain killer is toxic to reptiles. But Neosporin without it, is fine to use. Ointments and oil based products soften scales and can make them fall off, where as creams are harmless.
    Last edited by satomi325; 12-04-2013 at 04:58 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Libby (12-04-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    If someone is determined to do something stupid, you aren't going to be able to stop them. Not going to argue with you about that!

As an adult living with another adult and a child, I have several books on first aid and a couple specific pediatric books. Basic stuff. If a fever goes over 103 degrees and you can't get it down, get medical attention. I also have a book on cat first aid from when I owned a cat.

Now that I have a bp, I own a copy of "The Complete Ball Python" even though I have no interest in ever breeding. It has a chapter on "Common Health Concerns", like ticks, mites, RI's and stuck sheds. It does NOT tell me what to do if (heaven forbid) my snake were ever scraped, bumped or bruised by accident. Let's say it's 10pm and my snake gets a cut. I know perfectly well the emergency vet clinic won't be able to treat her and I need to take care of her until I can get her to a herp vet in the morning. Knowing that I should never, ever try to put any kind of tape on her (like a bandaid) and that I should keep her on paper towel instead of aspen is helpful. Knowing if there is something more proactive that I should or should not do would be wonderful.

I'm a relatively new keeper and I've done my best to educate myself. BP.net is the best source of information I've found on the internet. Basic snake first aid is something I'd like to learn more about, so I was hoping someone here would be willing to teach. If no one is comfortable posting this kind of thing, I would appreciate it if someone could point me to book that I could get for myself.
    Bingo!

Btw, make sure the wound is clean, if it's a scrape, don't cover it. Just keep it clean and dry. For cuts, put a piece of sterile sponge (not the cleaning kind. It's like gauze, only a tighter weave, like cloth) and secure it with coban. It holds nice and securely, but only sticks to its self. Just don't make it too tight.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to patientz3ro For This Useful Post:

Libby (12-04-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patientz3ro View Post
    Bingo!

Btw, make sure the wound is clean, if it's a scrape, don't cover it. Just keep it clean and dry. For cuts, put a piece of sterile sponge (not the cleaning kind. It's like gauze, only a tighter weave, like cloth) and secure it with coban. It holds nice and securely, but only sticks to its self. Just don't make it too tight.

That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for! I'll make a point of picking up some coban, since I don't believe I have any around, though with an uncoordinated child I have every shape and size of band-aid on the market. (I know, not safe for snakes.)

Is there anything like a triple antibiotic ointment that is safe to use on snakes? And I believe that diluted betadine is safe for disinfecting, but would like to double check.
    My family:
    1.0 spouse
    1.0 child
    0.1 Normal BP "Millie"
    1.0 East African Sand Boa "Leto"

My blog:
    www.AllergicKid.com

Thanks
    Most of the normal injuries/illnesses we see on the forum are handled case-by-case, as the OP asks for advice and takes it to heart accordingly. Or if the keeper with the issue isn't concerned enough to make a thread, the search function on the site works quite well for most intents and purposes.

Obviously, if things are severe, the first thing most people say is "Time for a vet". None of us wants to be the guiding voice behind a potentially life-threatening situation without firsthand observation of the animal and experience with the situation. But for the most part, I think threads on injuries and illnesses are handled pretty well here.

I think the biggest issue with making a Masterpost on first aid is that invariably, there will be differences in the way particular folks handle certain injuries, and the severity of said injury has a lot to do with that.

It's sort of like the difference between the BP Husbandry and Advanced BP Husbandry topics. For the most part, all beginners are referred to the first topic, where it gives you the basics to get started; enclosure sizes, temps, temp control, and humidity control are all basically standard across the board. Then, as folks become more accustomed to proper husbandry tactics in the standard setup, they can seek out new and alternate ways of doing things over in the Advanced section. I think taking broad-spectrum care and narrowing it down case by case works well, but I see a lot of room for error and liability in making a first aid specific thread.

That being said, I think having a list of Snake First Aid kit items would be a really great idea. Betadine, paper towels, a soak bowl, etc would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post

Is there anything like a triple antibiotic ointment that is safe to use on snakes? And I believe that diluted betadine is safe for disinfecting, but would like to double check.
    Betadine is perfect and one of the most highly recommended wound disinfectants. 10 parts water to 1 part betadine is what I see again and again.

Also, I believe any ointment that DOES NOT have pain relief is technically animal-safe, but it's often deprioritized because it can soften the scales around the wound and allow for more pathogens. In the case of burns, etc, Silversulfadiazine is most widely recommended, because it treats the burn without as much softening of the scales.
    Last edited by Archimedes; 12-04-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

Libby (12-04-2013),satomi325 (12-04-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Good idea. Just have to make sure it's well known it's a "This is what to do UNTIL you can get to a vet" rather than "This is what to do INSTEAD of going to a vet" type of thread.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12