Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,250

2 members and 3,248 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: About to get first BP

Quote Originally Posted by hozr View Post
    I think you are right about the size. The 36"x18"x18" seems to be better. I just like the side opening better than the top. But artificial foliage clutter is ok? I am thinking that I want to make the habitat as visually appealing as I can since the python will hide and such. My current thought is 2 identical hides placed on opposites sides surrounded with fake foliage towards the rear and a nice twisted up branch (artificial) of some kind between. I thought the foliage at the back and a 6" or so strip of clear area would give some incentive to move around a bit more.

While I am thinking about it...other than aspen what substrates are acceptable? I am considering a 2" layer of cocofibre to simulate natural ground for the snake. Is burrowing a problem with BP? I thought that this would make cleaning a touch easier as it wont hide feces and whatnot like wood shavings will.
    Sounds good. Fake plants make great clutter.

Other than aspen, you can also try cypress mulch, reptibark, or coco-husk. Some people mix the coco with reptibark to make a nice 'natural' looking substrate. Also the three I suggested are great at keeping humidity.

Ball pythons don't really burrow themselves, but they do like to frequent already made burrows and hide holes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hozr View Post
    I think you are right about the size. The 36"x18"x18" seems to be better. I just like the side opening better than the top. But artificial foliage clutter is ok? I am thinking that I want to make the habitat as visually appealing as I can since the python will hide and such. My current thought is 2 identical hides placed on opposites sides surrounded with fake foliage towards the rear and a nice twisted up branch (artificial) of some kind between. I thought the foliage at the back and a 6" or so strip of clear area would give some incentive to move around a bit more.

While I am thinking about it...other than aspen what substrates are acceptable? I am considering a 2" layer of cocofibre to simulate natural ground for the snake. Is burrowing a problem with BP? I thought that this would make cleaning a touch easier as it wont hide feces and whatnot like wood shavings will.
    Having a side opening enclosure is nice. Have you looked into Plastic cages, like Vision or Animal Plastics? It will hold humidity better than a glass aquarium. They can be a bit pricey, but again IMO provide better housing for your pet. Clutter is good for a baby BP, fake plant and two hides are great, I decorate all my enclosures, just remember all those decorations need to be cleaned regularly along with the water dish, etc. A note on the 2 inches of substrate, if you plan on using a UTH to heat the enclosure 2 inches is way too much. It should really be kept under 1/2 inch.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    A note on the 2 inches of substrate, if you plan on using a UTH to heat the enclosure 2 inches is way too much. It should really be kept under 1/2 inch.
    good to know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12