Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,595

3 members and 2,592 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Can someone please help me???

Another question, When they burrow in their hide, how long should I let him sit in their before I move him around. Not trying to handle I'm too much due to the fact that I haven't had him but two weeks and still trying to get him to eat.

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrboatner13 View Post
    I have had it for two weeks, I was using a CHE but switched to the UTH around Tuesday. He sat in the hide over the UTH for a few days and didn't move. He hadn't had a shed since I have had him, still hasn't eaten neither.
    Also, where causes scale rot?
    Scale rot is caused by excess moisture that is absorbed by vesicles within ventral scales and promotes a breeding ground for pathogens. In short, it is caused by a substrate that refuses to dry completely.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Another question, When they burrow in their hide, how long should I let him sit in their before I move him around. Not trying to handle I'm too much due to the fact that I haven't had him but two weeks and still trying to get him to eat.
    You do not need to move him around. Set the basking spot to an output of 88-94, I prefer mine to be right at 90-91 for my young ones. What have you tried feeding and how?
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

I have tried feeding him f/t pinkies, thats what the store told me they were feeding him and he isn't interested in it at all. He balls up and tucks his head when I present it to him. I have also tried leaving it in the cage with him and he still doesn't touch it.

Thanks

I have tried feeding him f/t pinkies, thats what the store told me they were feeding him and he isn't interested in it at all. He balls up and tucks his head when I present it to him. I have also tried leaving it in the cage with him and he still doesn't touch it.
    Have you left it overnight? Pinkies are way too small, try a live rat pup or mouse hopper at least if overnight has not worked. If that's a 40-gallon cage then you may also need to add some hides to help him out security wise.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Physician&Snakes For This Useful Post:

mrboatner13 (12-01-2013)

Thanks

I just bought a frozen hopper today, I will try leaving it overnight tonight, would it make a difference if it's live or not? I have three hides and a log in the tank currently, I will add plants soon.

Thanks

I just bought a frozen hopper today, I will try leaving it overnight tonight, would it make a difference if it's live or not? I have three hides and a log in the tank currently, I will add plants soon.
    Some specimens simply prefer live over f/t and even vice versa on some occasions. The recommended goal is to eventually have him on rats every 5-7 days, my specimens usually do not have a choice, I offer rats no matter what, but some people will bend over backwards, sacrifice a goat, dress in drag and distract the hyenas, etc... just to get their snake to take something...in my experience there are very few snakes that will not eat when they are hungry and healthy so patience and proper husbandry is the key to a good eater.
    Last edited by Physician&Snakes; 12-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Physician&Snakes For This Useful Post:

mrboatner13 (12-01-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Physician&Snakes View Post
    Some specimens simply prefer live over f/t and even vice versa on some occasions. The recommended goal is to eventually have him on rats every 5-7 days, my specimens usually do not have a choice, I offer rats no matter what, but some people will bend over backwards, sacrifice a goat, dress in drag and distract the hyenas, etc... just to get their snake to take something...in my experience there are very few snakes that will not eat when they are hungry and healthy so patience and proper husbandry is the key to a good eater.
    I have to disagree... I truly believe my female would starve herself. She went 2 months as a hatchling and would not eat anything I presented to her... f/t fuzzie, hopper, rat pup... live rat fuzzy, pup. Finally I gave and got her a live fuzzy mouse. Husbandry was dead on and the same all through... she took it within seconds. Has eaten all stages of live mice since.
    After she was steady I tried live rat pup.. nope, asf... nope. White mouse.. bam.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    I have to disagree... I truly believe my female would starve herself. She went 2 months as a hatchling and would not eat anything I presented to her... f/t fuzzie, hopper, rat pup... live rat fuzzy, pup. Finally I gave and got her a live fuzzy mouse. Husbandry was dead on and the same all through... she took it within seconds. Has eaten all stages of live mice since.
    After she was steady I tried live rat pup.. nope, asf... nope. White mouse.. bam.

I can disagree to the extent of my almost 7 years of starting hatchling BPs while I was at the store...did I wait a little too long here and there? Probably, but I developed confidence in myself and the animal, and that always produced a rat pup gone the next day, eventually a full strike, and later on a well started BP and in the case of hold backs, full on on sires and dams. Now maybe you do have the one in a million that just cannot grasp the idea of eating other prey; however, the manager had a bet for owners that consistently demanded a certain color or type of prey, the manager would ask the customer to leave the specimen with us for a full 24 hours, if we could not get him/her to eat a prey that was very different from it's supposed "one and only", then the customer got five free feeders...well, ,let's just say that no one got a free feeder the whole time I was there.

P.S. No scenting was allowed.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    I understand you have experience and it's great YOU got them all to eat what you wanted.... but to tell someone with little experience to just wait them out is not a good idea

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast