Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,289

0 members and 3,289 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Would you breed a fantastic dinker/new morph with deformities?

If you got a wc/ch dinker that was as awesome as the scaleless, sunset, or patternless and it was missing an eye or an extreme kink in its tail or a similar defect would you breed the snake knowing that the babies may be incredibly deformed or die and possibly make money off of a new morph or keep it as a non-breeder and just enjoy owning it as a pet and not risk producing any more severely deformed babies?

Thanks
    I myself would not breed it if it was genetic. But I'm sure many would

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Would you breed a fantastic dinker/new morph with deformities?

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyPython View Post
    If you got a wc/ch dinker that was as awesome as the scaleless, sunset, or patternless and it was missing an eye or an extreme kink in its tail or a similar defect would you breed the snake knowing that the babies may be incredibly deformed or die and possibly make money off of a new morph or keep it as a non-breeder and just enjoy owning it as a pet and not risk producing any more severely deformed babies?
    I absolutely would once or twice. My reason being to determine if the defect was related to genes, or other factors or if the gene might be genetic but unrelated to the "desired" morph aspect. If the defect was like the spider wobble, known kinking genes or lethal combo's I would of course discontinue any breeding and jut keep the animal as a pet.

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

It would depend, "pin eye" is sometimes seen in CB ball pythons, it is simply the severe reduction of eye size, so you have one normal eye and the other eye is extremely small. Many of these snakes go on to breed and live the average lifespan of the species. Something like this I would definitely breed; however, if it was an abnormality that severely inhibited the specimens's function (i.e. a fused vertebrae that prevents the animal from coiling and maintaining general posture), I would not even try.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Agreed, I would attempt breeding once as long as the defect was not severely impacting the life of the ball (or, obviously, it's ability to breed). In other words, the missing eye could breed, because that doesn't much influence breeding; however, I am not sure that I would breed a severe tail kink, fearing that it may affect either ability to breed or lay. I would like to know if the defect and the morph itself were genetic--if anything, for the learning side of it. The defect, especially in a wild caught, could easily have been something that happened to it, not something it was born with. I'm a curious little genetics person--the kind that would bring dinosaurs back because can. xD

If it couldn't breed it, but the deformity was not affecting it's life, I would gladly keep it as a pet. I like my pets. :3

Thanks
    i guess of those that decide to try, many will just keep it secret. and if it doesnt work it stays secret.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks
    Depends on a few factors the main being if it's a kink in a female, is it in a location where it could potentially cause the eggs to not be able to pass? Otherwise if it is a wc/ch specimen it can be impossible to tell whether the abnormality is genetic or caused by outside factors untill you do test breeding.
    0.1 Blue Beauty Snake

1.2 Normals
    0.1 Mystic
    0.1 Pastel Poss Het Ghost
    1.0 Banana Bumblebee

0.1 Common Snapping Turtle

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyPython View Post
    would you breed the snake knowing that the babies may be incredibly deformed or die
    You take this risk every time you breed regardless of what the parents look like.