Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

1 members and 3,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Exclamation Cat scratched my snake?!

Alright, So I had my BP sitting on my lap and my door wasn't closed all the way and my cat walked in. I was spacing out on my phone and I didn't realize the cat was there until she smacked him on his poor little head. It looks like he has a few scrapes but I can barely see them, so they obviously aren't too bad. I can touch his head and he isn't flinching in pain. Though he does have a small dent in his eye, but Im not sure if that was there before she scratched him or not.

Is there anything I should be doing and does it sound like he's going to be alright? I'm just worried cause he's my baby and I feel awful for not paying attention.

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah,what you should do is now make sure you keep your cat away from your snake..it was just a normal wack from your cat,he or she doesn't know what it is.look,accidents happen,don't feel bad..your snake is fine. My cat did something similar when I first introduced her to Kocur. Now there all good.

mine last night

they are great with each other,Aimee my cat just watches him and he watches her ,then they usually just go off there ways,no aggression at all,pretty awesome
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 11-21-2013 at 11:24 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NYHC4LIFE8899 For This Useful Post:

hylian (11-21-2013)

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cat scratched my snake?!

Quote Originally Posted by hylian View Post
    Alright, So I had my BP sitting on my lap and my door wasn't closed all the way and my cat walked in. I was spacing out on my phone and I didn't realize the cat was there until she smacked him on his poor little head. It looks like he has a few scrapes but I can barely see them, so they obviously aren't too bad. I can touch his head and he isn't flinching in pain. Though he does have a small dent in his eye, but Im not sure if that was there before she scratched him or not.

Is there anything I should be doing and does it sound like he's going to be alright? I'm just worried cause he's my baby and I feel awful for not paying attention.
    Dents in the eye are usually a sign of general dehydration, just up your humidity a touch. The scratches will probably be gone by next shed but if you want to do something then a dab of Silvadeine would not hurt.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Physician&Snakes For This Useful Post:

hylian (11-23-2013)

Thanks
    Mistakes happen and we learn from them Doesn't sound like much damage was caused and sounds like the scratches will be gone in the next shed. Don't get upset about your mistake, we all space out sometimes and things can happen which we didn't intend. You'll now learn to be more cautious and that's all you can ask for

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Naom9Anne For This Useful Post:

hylian (11-23-2013)

Registered User Southern_Breeder's Avatar
    Thanks
    Naom9Anne always has good advice and yet again this is another one.
    Your little guy should be just fine!
    0.1 Old Lady (Chelsea)
    1.0 Pure Bred Alaskan Malamute Puppy (Cody)
    1.1 Crested Geckos (PLENTY more to come)
    0.1 Arg Black & White Tegu
    To Many Dam BP's and Breeder Rats

Southern Comfort Reptiles
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...38267593024681

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Southern_Breeder For This Useful Post:

hylian (11-23-2013)

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I take my snake out very regularly and offer it's tail to my cats to smell. Sometimes they swat at him, or even stomp on him, but the more they spend time together the more they both see each other as a friend and not a foe. I would recommend socializing them, supervised.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickys_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

hylian (11-23-2013)

Thanks

Re: Cat scratched my snake?!

Its natural for a cat to take a swipe at something new. Put some bacitracin on it if you want but they should be gone next shed. Cats are curious. She doesn't know that is a housemate. Its something new and smells of snake and predator to her. Just start doing supervised socialization and they will start ignoring each other. Also the more you banish the cat the more she will try her hardest to get in. My cat doesn't care that I have a bp. Even my outdoor cats that kill snakes doesnt care. I socialized then to her, also take a towel and rub your bp, then rub it on the cat. It gets the smell of the cat and snake mingled and it will be familiar to her. Also up your humidity. That's why your snake has a dent in its eye. It will be all good.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantomtip For This Useful Post:

hylian (11-23-2013),NYHC4LIFE8899 (11-22-2013)