Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,345

3 members and 3,342 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Just a showing for those that think they are smarter....................

Glad I'm not the only one confused. I don't know how staying in a place that was too hot would be avoiding stress especially with ball pythons that are easily stressed out by many different things. But I don't know it's still not making sense to me. Ball pythons are so sensitive to things and I don't understand how one would just sit on something so hot and not realize it at all. I've seen burn pics on google a lot worse that this one where the skin was literally melted off and what's left is singed. I believe with those cases the animal had no where to go. It's a very sad situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    It will choose security over comfort...so if somewhere is too hot but it feels most secure there... that is where it will stay

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-23-2013)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Just a showing for those that think they are smarter....................

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    It will choose security over comfort...so if somewhere is too hot but it feels most secure there... that is where it will stay

This is the answer I've read the most. That they are more comfortable or secure in that area. I guess I just can't understand how burning to death is comfortable. Like staying in your burning house because your home is comfy. And I've been through a house fire and there's no way I'd stay no matter how comfy. But I guess it's because I'm not a snake so I will never understand what goes on or what logic they have in they're little snakey brains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    No not comfortable... secure... two different things in this instance. Meaning maybe he fits more snugly in the hide, or there is a lack of a hide ..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-23-2013)

Thanks
    society really should get its act together and teach more science and physics at schools.

snake burns are based on two things:

- not doing all the required research or being misinformed by the pet store or someone else

AND

- a lack of understanding of science, no concept of what 50 watt or 100 watt really means and what it can do, no real understanding of temperature.

those screwups just dont happen to people with some understanding of electronics and thermodynamics. At a pet store i frequently visit seems to have found a solution. they sell unregulated hot spots in the form of heat mats / heat tape that are limited to 5 watt, 7 watt, or 10 watt. with such a low maximum output, with the right setup, you really get a hot spot that is just a few degrees above the surrounding ambient temperature. and they sell the stuff with higher energy output together with thermostats. I think that makes a lot of sense.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Just a showing for those that think they are smarter....................

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonfriend View Post
    society really should get its act together and teach more science and physics at schools.
    Sports are more important.
    I remember marine bio, I loved that class and wish I would have taken that one somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got a friend who used to have a ball python with a severe burn from a hot rock, it took a LONG time for it to recover from those burns, even years later if the snake coiled up a particular way you could see the distinctive shape of the sizzle stone brand of hot rock that she had been laying on. It was branded into her belly. The previous owner just thought the snake really loved her hot rock because she was always laying on top of it.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Did we ever find the answer to why they'll burn & not love due to thermoregulation?

I remember in high school AP biology we learned about the ability of cold blooded animals to thermoregulate.

The example was a tree frog. If it was put into a tub of hot water it would jump out immediately, BUT if it was put into a tub of water at a comfortable temperature it would stay. If the temperature was slowly & gradually raised even exceeding the initial too hot temperature, the tree frog wouldn't be able to sense the temperature change in the water. Is this the same concept?

Thanks
    Poor girl. Even before I registered to this site just with my google "research" I found many articles/caresheets talking about thermostats. Then I dug through snake forums and found that a lot of people used the hydrostat thermostats. I bought several of those and used those up until the point I started adding more snakes. Herpstat all the way from now on. I'd be a worried mess if I didn't have a thermostat. Even with the RHP I have, I tested it and they can get pretty darn hot. Even if a snake can't lay on it, it hurt me to touch it briefly.

Thank you rescuing that girl. That's a horrible scar. Man and two years later it looks like that. If burn pictures don't make the ignorant run for thermostats, I don't know what will.
    Alluring Constrictors

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234