Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,382

5 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

female vs male black and white argentine

What's the benefits of female and male tegus? I guess females are smaller so they don't need the extra big terras, and they also don't need as much food, is that ture? I'm trying to decide if i should get a male or female tegu, so what differences make what gender more preferred than the other gender? I'm talking convenience of size, behavior, extra treatment they need, etc.
    I'd also love to see pictures of you guys and with your tegus.

Thanks
    From what I have been told the size difference between male and female is negligible, when I talked with a breeder he said about 6 inch difference, and they still require the same size enclosure. I do know male get the big jowels that stick out the side of his lower jaw.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

Faolan (11-21-2013)

Thanks

Re: female vs male black and white argentine

There are plenty of larger females out there. On average, yes, males do get larger. Doesn't mean that is always the case. Hers an album of pictures, I have a ton of pictures probably some videos. Let me know if you want more info. I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means but I do feel very confident with my knowledge of them. http://imgur.com/a/HNtmc

I have a male, hes got jowls (big squishy cheeks). I was hoping for a male because I love the jowls but I didn't try to ask for a male or female. I haven't heard of any differences about behavioral differences, I think it just varies upon the animal and how its cared for vs male or female. Males also leave sperm plugs when they poop. I love my tegu, hes really like a scaly puppy. honestly the mininum enclosure size should be 8x3x3. some people say you can get away with 6x3 but i really believe they use all of the space and some people who use smaller enclosures have issues with "nose rub" or behavioral issues because the tegu is crammed and wants out all of the time.

Thanks
    also, they eat a lot. a lot. a lot. i dont think gender matters with this either. mine eats about every other day but he inhales f/t which can get expensive. i believe f/t and whole prey is the way to go. its a better balanced diet, more nutritionally complete. turkey and organ meats and stuff like that can be added here and there but IMO nothing compares to whole prey.

Thanks

Re: female vs male black and white argentine

Well from what i read its not good to regularly feed mice to them because they are full of fat and not ashealthy as ground turkey or chicken. Just putting in my 2 cents about what ive read.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to new.python.owner For This Useful Post:

dylan815 (10-18-2017)