Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

1 members and 3,324 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I came across this interesting rant by Frank Retes yesterday. For those of you who do not know who Frank Retes is, he is one of the foremost monitor lizard breeders in the world. Although he's talking about monitors here, I think a lot of what he says relates to keeping and breeding herps in general.

I may be, the hitman of monitors, hahahahahahahahahaha. My ability was to concentrate and focus.

I have always been a R&D fella(research and development) in all the fields I have worked in. With an emphasis on development. Many monitor fellas do the research, but fail to apply it to development.

When coming into any field, my job was to eliminate what was not needed and concentrate on what was, then keep focused on the goal. Things like, hibernation, UV, photoperiod, were not what was needed, but instead, a wider temp range, curing social problems, and understanding feeding was what needed attention. My job was to target what was needed and shoot it, hence the Hitman.

So, I shot the monitors, bred the heck out of them. But unfortunately, that peed off, the talkers(ones that don't do) Oh well, can't please everyone, don't care too.(see the focus part)

I heard a funny thing the other day, most of my friends are snake keepers, one was talking to an Ozzie and the subject of monitors and me. The Ozzie said, Yup, I heard of FR all right, hes the one who breeds the peas(heck) out of monitors, the "wrong way". I had to laugh my arse off. The reason I can laugh is, the goal is to breed monitors, then if you do, there is no wrong way. The reality is, at sometime in the future when breeding monitors is commonplace, then we can decide which method is better, but as of now, how can you critizie a successful method, when you cannot do it, in any way or fashion?

It really was very simple, the goal was to breed monitors. The tools to be used, anything availible(specially from home depot and costco) The result is baby monitors. That we have done. It boils down to this, all the Baylesses and Sweets in the world can argue(talk) all they want, but they failed to produce a product. So, its only talk, and talk does not DO anything. Doing does. You see, research suppose to lead to development, not research for the sake of research, that leads to talk and no doing. Again the reality of science is the result, not the problem, the goal of science is the result, again not the problem. The reality of our world is the product, not the machine, method or factory. In both cases, the result or the product, is what is to be judged, not whether the researcher or the factory was rude. Again its simple, its the result or product that predicts the quality of the method. Too bad those talkers do not understand that.

Whats so darn funny about those folks is, all I had to do was be rude or misspell words, to distract them from their focus. Talk about lack of concentration.

Your job as a keeper is to practice keeping, which means to do. Remember, we practice husbandry, which is like practicing medicine, we're suppose to keep doing it, until we get it right(produce benefitual results or products). Also consider, application is more important than method. So as Nike says, just do it. hahahahahahahaha FR
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

Thanks
    Your job as a keeper is to practice keeping, which means to do. Remember, we practice husbandry, which is like practicing medicine, we're suppose to keep doing it, until we get it right(produce benefitual results or products). Also consider, application is more important than method. So as Nike says, just do it. hahahahahahahaha FR
    Beautiful,
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/