Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,425

1 members and 3,424 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks
    I recently switched from heating my snakes tank with a heat lamp to using a undertank heating pad. This has totally solved my humidity problem and it stays between 60% and 65% all of the time. This makes for happy pythons.

My question is this
    I have my temp probe under the substrate right above the heat pad, over which is the warm hide. When my snake is not in the warm hide the temp reads between 90 and 95 which is right where it should be. When the snake is in the warm hide. the temp reading goes way up like to 100-105.
    Do you think this is just because the snake is insulating the warm hide and making it hold more heat?
    Do any of you notice this kind of thing happening?

If I move the temp probe to the top of the substrate the temp is still in a normal range with the snake in there.

I have the heating pad on the lowest setting, if I change it any higher temps get way too hot

The glass is not hot enough to burn and just seems warm to the touch.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem...maybe my substrate holds too much heat. I use that bundled up recycled paper Carefresh I think it's called.

Thanks
    Scott

Thanks

Anyone have any turtles/tortoises?

Hi Scott! Welcome to the site! When your snake goes inside the warm hide, is he/she on top of the probe? I've had that problem before, and it was just because the snake was sitting ontop of the probe. You should be ok.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.