Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 996

1 members and 995 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Taking the "hot" out of a venomous animal?

This is a bit weird to me, but recently was talking to someone who wanted to get a cobra. Typical idiot with no snake experience, and I was trying to talk him out of it in a calm and reasonable fashion. He then comes out with "Oh, it'll be safe cause I'll get one with the venom taken out." He proceeded to explain that he had seen a news story or something about someone selling animals that had been made safe and legal for sale somewhere that didn't allow venomous by having the venom removed somehow. Now I'm certainly no expert when it comes to hots, nor am I one in any sense really, but is this even possible? Maybe with a surgical procedure to remove the glands involved? Will venomous animals eat f/t? Just raises so many questions in my mind, thought I'd see some info from those with some knowledge and experience. And no I'm not interested in getting one like this, I just like to be able to pass on good info.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks

Re: Taking the "hot" out of a venomous animal?

Yes you can remove the glands, they are called venomoids. Why anobody would want to do this is beyond me, actually it enrages me. If you can't handle the animal as it is you should not even think about keeping it.
    0.1 Normal ball
    1.0 Normal corn
    4 purple pichers
    and a few rats!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to the_knot For This Useful Post:

pjvo (12-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

There is a surgical procedure to remove the glands, but the glands may grow back in time. Its not 100%.

Either way, there is no reason to underestimate and disrespect a hot, glands or no glands. And you could tell he will from his tone. That guy is going about it with the wrong mentality. Sounds like a fool who just wants to have a cobra just to say he does and not for the actual love or passion of keeping one.

And yes, they would take f/t.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 11-18-2013 at 08:43 AM.

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Look up what goes into a venomoid surgery. It is pretty traumatic, and as stated above, not necesarrily 100% sucessful.

I cannot think of a single good reason to make a venomoid.

Thanks

Venamoids are disgusting!! The surgery is barbaric and as already stated is not 100% that that animal will not produce venom. It also as far as I'm aware does not affect in any way the legal side of owning a hot. This guy is anouther idiot in the news story waiting to happen.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jason_ladouceur For This Useful Post:

dgring (11-18-2013)

Thanks
    As a former venomoid owner, I have to say that there are a lot of myths about venomoid surgery.

Let me start with saying that my view on the subject has evolved and now I also do not like the idea of venomoids unless there is a "real" educational reason behind the procedure.

My reason behind getting one was to get the training I needed by myself without working with a mentor as I had none around. I treated the animal as a venomous snake and it worked fine. I later sold the venomoid to someone else, who had the same mentality. But looking back, I still shouldn't have done it as it is animal cruelty like declawing cats, debarking dogs etc.

However, if the surgery is done properly (anesthesia, life support, antibiotics etc.) by a licensed veterinarian:

-Both venom glands and ducts are removed.
    -Regeneration is impossible, there is not a single documented case on properly altered animals.
    -Most of the snakes, which have undergone the surgery, survive.
    -If the animal is conditioned to f/t rodents, they keep feeding fine.
    -The snakes digest their prey items fully.
    -The longevity is still a question due to not enough data but under proper care, these snakes live a regular life. I have personally seen snakes that over 10 yrs old.
    -Even scarring is avoided with proper surgery techniques.

Noting all of the above, this is still major organ surgery for no reason than being able to say "I have a cobra." and in my "evolved" personal opinion, I think it should be frowned upon. If you cannot take care of a cobra, do not get one. If you don't have a mentor nearby to train you and you are really passionate about this hobby, then move to another place. Also, under most jurisdictions, a venomoid snake is still considered venomous and is subjected to the same laws.

Ps:

I have dug around a bit for a picture and here is the snake in question:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Najakeeper For This Useful Post:

JLC (11-19-2013)

Thanks
    I dont understand why this guy would want a Cobra for the "coolness" factor. To me part of the "coolness" factor is that a hot can drop you dead if you make a mistake and do not have the appropriate medical attention. Its a playing with fire kind of "cool" that he is going for but then he is saying he will venemoid it? Doesn't make sense to me, youd be just as hardcore getting a colubrid. I am sure all the ladeez will jump into his manly arms because he is such a risk taker.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OctagonGecko729 View Post
    I dont understand why this guy would want a Cobra for the "coolness" factor. To me part of the "coolness" factor is that a hot can drop you dead if you make a mistake and do not have the appropriate medical attention. Its a playing with fire kind of "cool" that he is going for but then he is saying he will venemoid it? Doesn't make sense to me, youd be just as hardcore getting a colubrid. I am sure all the ladeez will jump into his manly arms because he is such a risk taker.
    Yeah, but he won't tell the ladies the snake is venomoid though .

Thanks
    Ok, thanks for the info everyone. I had never heard of doing this, and couldn't imagine a good reason for it as I imagined the surgery involved would be extremely traumatic for the poor snake. And yes, this guy fit the stereotypical "I wanna be cool holding the dangerous snake" bs. Young and dumb, and I seriously doubt he'll ever have the money needed to get hold of something like this, thankfully. As a wise man once said, you can't fix stupid.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    Cobras are cheap but the surgery costs quite a bit more. I wouldn't guarantee him not getting one based on price alone.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast