Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

2 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

your thoughts on these pet store Ball Pythons? 10 pics

I haven't had Ball Pythons since the late '90s, nor have I kept up on the latest morphs. These are the specimens readily available to me without having to drive 3 hours to Lodi or Berkeley.

$35, local pet shop:

$150, local pet shop:

$150 each. These are pastels(?) There are two available, a light one and a darker one:

And then there's this. It's listed as a Spider, but what do you think about that stripe? It's $200:

And its Spider cagemate, also $200:

Is there anything exceptional, or negative, about any of these specimens? I feel like I'm inclined to go with either the wild type or the striped spider dude, or the lighter pastel.

Thanks!
    Last edited by fuhgeddaboudit; 11-11-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: punctuation

Thanks

Re: your thoughts on these pet store Ball Pythons? 10 pics

That "lighter pastel" im pretty sure is an axanthix, but it could be the lighting cuz all I see is grey. And the spider could be some short of stripe morph but im not very familiar with those morphs. The spider in the second picture looks nice.
    Last edited by kylearmbar; 11-11-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Thanks
    the $150 and the $200 are both spiders as well as probably the one under the log. These are getting more common at Petco in the past couple years, prices tend to be higher then most online sales.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kylearmbar View Post
    That "lighter pastel" im pretty sure is an axanthix, but it could be the lighting cuz all I see is grey. And the spider could be some short of stripe morph but im not very familiar with those morphs. The spider in the second picture looks nice.
    No Axanthic there.

You can find those same Morphs way cheaper on line or maybe at a local reptile show.

Also if you are looking at Spiders please research the Spider Wobble.

Thanks

Maybe it's just the pictures themselves, but I personally wouldn't get any of them, no matter how cheap. None of them look healthy to me, and while that's reason enough to keep me from buying any of them myself, they're also all priced much higher than you could find a similar (healthier) animal at a show.

*Edit - I'm also not seeing good husbandry practices, although I know it's a big box store and they don't always have experienced reptile keepers on staff, I suspect they'd try to goad you into buying the same improper husbandry tools they're using, like the analog humidity/temperature gauges, and complete lack of proper hides.
    Last edited by SaintTawny; 11-11-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks
    Nope not axanthic. I like the stripe spider personally. $150 for a pastel is high right now even if it would be female.
    Honestly I like the first one, very pretty

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

The "stripey" spider is cool lookin, but for $200 is BETTER be female. You have a challenging decision to make....getting a better,higher quality animal for much less but pay $50+ for shipping, or spend the money in gas to drive the 3 hours to the reptile show...where there would be oodles of great quality ball pythons to chose from at great prices. Or, you could just buy one of those you have pictured and get instant gratification.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks
    Problem with finding one online right now is depending on where you are they are unable to be shipped...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (11-11-2013)

Thanks

These prices are not that competitive. I would definitely get something onlin or go to the show. I love reptile shows! You get To see so much cool stuff and meet all the breeders. If you want a good deal wait til the end of the show and make an offer on something. The real ligh one doesn't look like a regular pastel though...maybe it's just the pic.

Thanks
    Well, thankfully, I've been able to control my impulses and I'm still doing my research before I get back into the game.

One thing I can assure you all, I will not buy a snake from Petco.

The first couple of photos in my original post, from the local pet shop...I really like that place. Their BPs come from a local breeder and I was mistaken on the price of that Spider, it's not $150, it's $100. I'm kind of feeling like I may not want a Spider, due to the wobble issue. They also have a Pastel, not pictured, for $75. And I still really, really like that Normal for only $35.

I did hold the Spider and checked it out for a few minutes...no sign of wobble. But, the more I read, the more I think maybe I want to do something that doesn't involve the Spider gene. I'm not sure yet.

For the time being, I'm more focused on nailing-down the parameters of a solid stewardship program and putting it all together before acquiring the stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast