Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,239

0 members and 3,239 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

"Normal" or what?

This is Pinky, so named because she's the color of Silly Putty.

I'm asking because the guy I got her from bought her from a pet store that a local Boa breeder always sold babies to.

He usually sold his "less dramatic" hets as normals.

She has almost no real black on her.

Is she a normal?

Curiosity compels me to wonder if....but I've already fallen in love with her so it's not an issue if she's not 'spayshul'.

She's a total sweetheart love bunny.

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    A nice normal. Might help produce coral albinos.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: "Normal" or what?

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    A nice normal. Might help produce coral albinos.
    How would I accomplish that?

As far as boys go, all I have is a normal male who looks exactly liker her, an Arabesque het Kahl albino and a Kahl Albino.

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    How would I accomplish that?

As far as boys go, all I have is a normal male who looks exactly liker her, an Arabesque het Kahl albino and a Kahl Albino.
    Well, if she's pink-ish, I suppose by introducing her into some Kahl albino lines, she could help increase the likelihood of popping out Coral albinos. I'm not a boa morph expert, though. I do know that coral albinos are a linebred trait that involves breeding for that extra pink pigment and it produces awesome results when that layer of melanin is stripped away.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Okay, thanks.

You just made Jake's day because really, he's just a pet and was never in any breeding plans.

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    Well, if she's pink-ish, I suppose by introducing her into some Kahl albino lines, she could help increase the likelihood of popping out Coral albinos. I'm not a boa morph expert, though. I do know that coral albinos are a linebred trait that involves breeding for that extra pink pigment and it produces awesome results when that layer of melanin is stripped away.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Uhhh... well, you could create a "coral" albino that way I suppose, but it would certainly be a long way around getting there. Especially since coral albinos are not all that rare or expensive. Bear in mind that the coral trait in albinos is not fully understood and the method of inheritance is not yet proven. So theoretically, you could make a coral this way, but maybe not. Here's some further info on the trait - http://www.boamorph.com/id32.html

Salamander, your boa is not a hypo - she has too much black outlining on her tail pattern. She is very pretty and she could, in fact, be a pastel. Pastels are not all that uncommon and some can be found in pet stores. Like coral and lipstick albinos, there are several lines of pastel too. I can't say what line your girl is, but any of the pastel lines are compatible. You can use the pastel gene to clean up and improve the pattern and color of almost any morph and your girl sure is nice - she may well be able to do that. Just for kicks, so you can compare, here are a couple of my own pastels and one of my hypos....

*** Note: as you look at these, notice how there is no black surrounding Peaches' tail pattern. And see how there IS black on Gin Fizz and Sangria - in person, both of these snakes are more pink than Peaches (who has more orange in her) but they also have black pigmentation. Hypomelanism is the reduction of black pigmentation.

Peaches - Hypo het ghost female

Gin Fizz - Pastel Dream female

Sangria - Cherry Pastel female (not a great picture, but the best one to show off her colors)

And this is Pandora - Coral Sunglow Arabesque female
    Last edited by Evenstar; 11-15-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Oh wow....can I come live with you?

I'm very handy, eat very little and don't make much noise.

You have the most beautiful snakes.

I love the Cherry one!

[well, I love them all but I've not seen one like that, before]

No matter what Pinky is or isn't, she's already wormed her way into my heart.

All my Boas are sweet but she's so interactive it's crazy.

Every time I go by her house, she begs to come out and when she's out, she is so well behaved.

She just rides around checking everything out and I never have to reach around and pull her out of the furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    Uhhh... well, you could create a "coral" albino that way I suppose, but it would certainly be a long way around getting there. Especially since coral albinos are not all that rare or expensive. Bear in mind that the coral trait in albinos is not fully understood and the method of inheritance is not yet proven. So theoretically, you could make a coral this way, but maybe not. Here's some further info on the trait - http://www.boamorph.com/id32.html

Salamander, your boa is not a hypo - she has too much black outlining on her tail pattern. She is very pretty and she could, in fact, be a pastel. Pastels are not all that uncommon and some can be found in pet stores. Like coral and lipstick albinos, there are several lines of pastel too. I can't say what line your girl is, but any of the pastel lines are compatible. You can use the pastel gene to clean up and improve the pattern and color of almost any morph and your girl sure is nice - she may well be able to do that. Just for kicks, so you can compare, here are a couple of my own pastels and one of my hypos....

*** Note: as you look at these, notice how there is no black surrounding Peaches' tail pattern. And see how there IS black on Gin Fizz and Sangria - in person, both of these snakes are more pink than Peaches (who has more orange in her) but they also have black pigmentation. Hypomelanism is the reduction of black pigmentation.

Peaches - Hypo het ghost female

Gin Fizz - Pastel Dream female

Sangria - Cherry Pastel female (not a great picture, but the best one to show off her colors)

And this is Pandora - Coral Sunglow Arabesque female

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Oh wow....can I come live with you?

I'm very handy, eat very little and don't make much noise.

You have the most beautiful snakes.

I love the Cherry one!

[well, I love them all but I've not seen one like that, before]

No matter what Pinky is or isn't, she's already wormed her way into my heart.

All my Boas are sweet but she's so interactive it's crazy.

Every time I go by her house, she begs to come out and when she's out, she is so well behaved.

She just rides around checking everything out and I never have to reach around and pull her out of the furniture.

LoL! I'd put you to WORK! Cleaning out 27 tubs/cages takes TIME.

No matter what Pinky is, she is very pretty! A lovely high quality normal. If you do decide to breed her, she has the capability of producing superior offspring since her color is vivid and her pattern is so clean. Personally, I'd love to see her paired to a jungle or an arabesque.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Well....as it just so happens...this guy is the snake room, waiting to make wiggly eyebrows at her, someday....

She, however, not only needs to complete QT, she needs weight put on her and that takes time since she's very slender from sparse feeding and I don't want to stress her system by giving her more food than she's ever seen, before.