Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,468

1 members and 3,467 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i was interested in a squorpion? i wanted to buy one for some time, but everything i read is kind of general info. from what i gather they are easy to keep, and very decrotive. i would not want to play with them of course, but i would like to get the kind that are supposed to glow in the blacklights. i think they were emporer squorpions. does anyone know wherer i can find more info on this, or even a book i can read up on. i want to know what i am getting in to first.
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very brightly."

1.0 Ball Python "Roswell"
    1.0 Ball Python "Roo"

Thanks
    If you go to amazon.com, you may find books there on them.. they always have a HUGE selection.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Never kept any, nor had any desire to keep any ... but google is my friend

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/P-imperator.html

Thats the best one i came across. Its at least something to get ya started.

You might also want to try here: http://www.arachnopets.com/ They specify in the creepy crawly and have forums as well.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    thanks all! this site has been nothing but help. i love it! i will be installing a bar in my dining room and it will have a see through section about the size of a 20 gal. i want to keep sqourpions there as decor pets. decor as in ican't really play with them. i do not like getting animals without knowing what i am getting in to. i thank you again for your help.
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very brightly."

1.0 Ball Python "Roo"

Thanks
    You're welcome man. Glad to be some help!
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Banned
    Thanks
    Did know people eat scorpions?
    I saw it on TV.
    I was about to stab the TV.

Thanks
    Scorpions all glow under black lights and the Emp`s are badass critters which arent as most people think. Their very mellow compared to the natives we have here in Texas as well as Az,NM Ca etc
    You pick them up by the stinger and lay them in your hand and they`ll cruise around with out trying to nail you like most people fear.
    You cant have more then one together cause they`ll fight like theres no tomorrow till only one is left standing.

As for your plans.........
    You can have some glass cut and use it to devide the encloser for each individual and I`m thinking it will look pretty cool !!
    Use a 2 bulb tank light and use a black light in one side and plant light in the other,the effects on that combo is awesome.

Good Luck !

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    are there any images of this? i have always heard about it, but never seen it.

1.0 Ball Python "Roo"

Thanks
    Interesting. I've seen several Emperor scorpions sitting together in a tank, not really doing anything but glowing or occasionally raising a limb or climbing over another. Wonder why they weren't fighting?
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    RECOMMENDED SPECIES
    Pandinus imperator: The Imperial Scorpion/Emperor Scorpion. One of the biggest species of scorpion and probably the best for a novice. These scorpions can grow to some 15cm in length. They are black in colour although they do appear to have a green tinge in a certain light. They originate from West Africa and should be kept in a warm humid habitat as described above. The sting of Pandinus imperator is frequently described as being like that of a bee however it is worth remembersing that many people develop serious allergic reactions to bee stings. Never the less they do make fantastic pets.
    Recently other Pandinus species have become available however these have not been properly identified and are often more aggressive. They are smaller than Emperor scorpions and are generally labeled as Red Claw Scorpions by traders. Not recommended for novice scorpion owners.
    Scorpions belonging to the Genus Heterometrus are often as large as Emperor scorpions and should be kept in much the same way. They originate from forests in Asia and also make good pets, their sting is said to be of similar potency as that of Pandinus. The most commonly available species are Heterometrus spinifer (Thai Black) and Heterometrus javanensis (Javanese Jungle Scorpion).
    Hadrurus SP: Hairy Scorpions. A large scorpion (10cm) which does well in the desert set-up described above and requires no water (getting all it needs from the atmosphere) they dislike being misted. They are also considerably more aggressive than Emperor Scorpions with a more potent sting. Again not for a novice owner.

The above paragraph came from here:
    http://wilf.8m.com/custom.html

Emporers are a nice species to start your hobby off on the right foot with. Many are calm and easy to raise.
    I have had many, and have housed them together in a small community. I would recommend only getting one to start with to ensure you are truly interested in arachnids as pets. In my opinion there sting isn't even as bad as a bee sting, but you may be allergic and would need to be very carefull.
    Good luck with your ventures.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast