Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,547

2 members and 2,545 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

my 1st feeding issue

I hate to have to post this, but it is driving me nuts. So here is my feeding issue:
    Tank setup:
    40gal breeder with sliding glass doors
    Repti carpet for substrate (use to have bark but changed it in the hope that this would fix the issue-it didn’t)
    Hot side-90F, cool side today is about 75F but it typically around 79-80F
    Humidity goes between 55 and 65 (use to be higher but I moved the snake setup out of the fish room and into my master bedroom and it made no differance)
    Snake is a female 100% het pied ringer who is currently just pushing 600grams and was born some time in 2012
    I got this snake, SilverFox, and her sister towards the beginning of the year and while her sister eats like a pig, she refuses to eat. Her sister is a few months older than her and is already 1100g! I purchased these 2 females to keep as pets and possibly future breeders. I have already spoken with the breeder and tried numerous things to encourage the smaller female to eat, but nothing has worked. I think she is afraid of food. When I got them, I looked for snakes that were already on f/t. Well this girl is just weird. Last month I got her to eat 2 live rats back to back. The month before that I offered her a f/t rat that she pushed around with her nose and then finally ate without so much as straggling it. It has been about 3 weeks or so since she last ate, but every Monday night I have offered her food, ither live or f/t. Last night I thought maybe she just did not like the size of the rat I offered on Monday. So I gave her a small rat that was live. She was terrified of it. She went into her water dish and submerged herself! I took the rat out and killed it and then left it in her tank over night. After it died, she did come over to it and pushed it around, then went to the other side of the tank. I removed the rat this morning.
    The things I have tried:
    Moved the snake display out of my fish room becuz the cats and ferrets were also allowed in that room, so the breeder said that was the issue. Ok I moved the snakes into my bedroom were No animals are allowed. It has been almost a month and she is still not eating.
    I changed her from repti bark to carpet because the breeder kept her on paper towels. The breeder also told me I HAD to get her a snake rack. Well she needs to figure out that food is ok becuz I nether have the desire or the money to get a snake rack that has tubes in it.
    I moved her location in my display set up (its 5 40gallon tanks that go up) so that she was not on the bottom were she might feel threatened, made no difference whatsoever. Here is a photo of my 2 girls. The one in the back is Tattersail and the one in the front is the one with the feeding issues, SilverFox. Her sister Tattersail will JUMP out of the tank to get a rat..*sigh* I just want her to eat normal! GRRR.

Thanks
    My suggestion.... get her a smaller enclosure for now and cover 3 sides of it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Is she being housed with her sister in the same tank?
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

Re: my 1st feeding issue

No, the photo of the girls together is only for comparison. They are kept in their own enclosures and have only been together twice since I got them, both times for photos. I have never considered putting her in a smaller tank, I will give it a try. I am pretty sure I have an extra 29 or 10 gallon tank laying around some place. Thanks for the input

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Missina For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (11-13-2013)

Thanks
    Even at 600 grams if she was in a rack, smaller might be better until she eats consistently a few times then try to put her back in her normal enclosure

Thanks

Well I tried a smaller set up for her and she still refused to eat. So I tried something else. I offered her a rat that was just big enough for her to eat, about 2mo old rat. She refused to eat it. I offered her a live one of the same size. She refused to eat it. This is typical and has been driving me nuts. I waited a few days and then offered her the smallest rat in my freezer, about a 5 week old rat. She ate it. I waited a week and offered her another 2 mo old rat. She refused it. I went to the pet store and got the smallest weaned rat they had (about 4 to 5 weeks old) and she ate it. My snake doesn't want to eat the proper sized food. I moved her back to her 40gal breeder set up. Next week I will go get her another tiny rat, maybe 2..and see if this keeps going on like this. So now my question is, how do I get her to start taking the proper size food? But I guess in the long run, if I can get her to take 1 or 2 newly weaned rats that's better then this only eating once a month thing she has been doing. Thanks everyone who tried to help

Thanks
    Yep feed whatever they'll eat lol
    Glad she ate something for ya. I would try going with two weanlings.

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

The feeding advise you are receiving is fine and will likely remedy the situation; however, you need to throw out that carpet. Just like the carpet humans use, it is nothing but a breeding ground for bacteria and the like even when washed well. For larger tubs, if I am not using cypress, I apply butcher paper or newspaper and change it weekly.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Some suggestions:

1) Smaller enclosure with lots of clutter and cover. Cover 3 sides of the tank with a solid background or paper. This will make her feel more secure and less afraid.
    2) Try a live mouse to jump start the feeding response
    3) If you're handling her, stop until she eats more consistently.

You don't need to buy her a rack. If you want to simulate a rack for cheap, just buy a small plastic storage tub/tote($3-5) and cover it with a towel. You don't have to use it permanently. Just temporarily until she bulks up and feeds more consistently.