Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,981

2 members and 1,979 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: Dwarf Boa ID

Thanks

Dwarf Boa ID

Can anyone tell me what type of dwarf boa this is? Sorry for the poor pic.

Thanks

Re: Dwarf Boa ID

just ca
    1.0 Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 100% Anery Boa
    1.0 Abbyline Het Kahl
    1.0 Blood Het Alb Python

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    In my personal opinion, there is no such thing as a "dwarf" boid as far as it refers to a specific species or sub-species. There are many boids that are smaller than the average and a few that are significantly smaller. But that doesn't make them a dwarf. A dwarf is a particular individual within the species or sub-species or even within a specific locality that is significantly smaller than the average for that specific species, sub-species, or locality.

People use the term incorrectly to describe smaller species. But a Hog Island BCI (Hog - not Hogg) averages 5-6 feet in length. The average Colombian BCI averages 7-8 feet. A Colombian BCI that only grew to 5 feet or a Hog Island that only grew to 3 feet could be considered a dwarf, but a Hog Island is not a dwarf to a Colombian - they are different localities and, unless the individual is smaller, they grow within their respective average. Note: a 5 foot Colombian could be considered a dwarf Colombian while still falling within the average of a Hog Island BCI. This is why it is important to note the species, sub-species, and locality and their respective averages when determining whether an animal is a true dwarf.

Having said that, your snake appears to be Central American or possibly Nicaraguan. It seems a little dark for a Colombian, but it could very well be Colombian. Almost impossible to tell for sure based on pictures alone. But if you were told this was a "dwarf" then it is likely a CA or Nic. Bear in mind, as I mention above, size is relative. There are many examples of CAs or Nics that do get quite large.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Shann (11-13-2013)