Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,176

2 members and 3,174 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Just wondering. I was just going to use a regular house bulb on one side and a infrared bulb on the other. I plan on keeping the infrared bulb on 24 hours a day. The BP wont be able to get to it, trust me, theres screen so it can't get burned.
    Mike

Banned
    Thanks

Do I have to use a UTH?

Um, may I ask why you would use a regular house bulb?
    I actually managed to use just an infared 60W in a 10gal to get 94 basking spot 78-80 cool spot ...

I haven't really had any problems of my BP going for the light, shall we say.

Thanks
    Well because, they should have a regular cycle of light. even though humans are dayturnal, would you always want daylight and no darkness. same thing with a bp, would a bp always want darkness even though there nocturnal? Thats what I would think. Im using a 55 gal long tank. a 60W infrared bulb cant heat a tank that big. And if the infrared bulb does heat the whole tank, ill use a smaller watt house bulb so it gets its 12 hours with light cycle threw.
    Mike

Thanks
    And the question still remains...
    Mike

Thanks
    Ball pythons need no light cycle at all. Trust us. They're nocturnal creatures. Any light that may come in the room from the sun or anything is fine enough for them. But it's not like they need any light. Light would most likely bother them. Considering they usually sleep during the day and are up at night.

Just because humans don't mind a bit of both light and dark doesn't mean ball pythons don't mind. You can't compare human characteristics to ball python characteristics.

Just my opinions.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    Oh, and as for your question...I've heard of people providing the right temps with just an infrared bulb, and they haven't had any problems. I myself prefer UTH, as the belly heat helps for digestion. I guess it all depends on what you're more comfortable with. I'd still use an UTH...I mean, if you just use a bulb for your heat, you should make sure you have a spare incase it bursts or something. With a UTH though, I assume you'd get more usage out of it. Plus the temp gradient thing. Not too sure how well you can get a temp gradient with just using overhead heating.

So, in short, it's up to you. If you can maintain the correct floor and ambient temps with just a bulb, then go for it I guess.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    You really need to try and use a heating pad. The lights will kill the humidity and may not produce enough ground heat for proper digestion, leading to regurgitation. Take a trip to Wal-Mart and get a human heating pad without auto shutoff. Cheap, sufficient heat and won't stress the snake out. Using just bulbs probably won't create a proper thermal gradient since you'll have to turn one off at night. And one little bulb won't heat such a huge tank at night. Are you using the 55g for a baby BP?
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    For myself I have my guy in a 20 gallon, I use a 100 watt infrared bulb but it's on a slideing stand to move the lamp up or down to adjust top heat, it never sits on the screen. I also use a human heat pad for belly heat, I like these heat pads because they come with a setting switch ( low, med, hi ).

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Its important for ball pythons to have belly heat. It helps them digest thier food and it also heats them more efficiantly. As mentioned before the bulb will dryout the heat. You can use a regular light bulb in conjuction with an UTH it could be one of those fancy reptile ones or a human eat pad just make sure that you test them both out as far as setting go to see what temps they stay at. The ball python will know if its day or night from the light in the room. If you do use the regular light bulb be sure to turn it off at night or use a timer.

Also a 55Gal is a little too big for a baby. But it can be used if you provide lots of hiding places along with vines and areas of cover so they can pass from one hide to another without being exposed. When ball pythons are young they think everything is out to get them.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    Well shes 3 feet long. shes no baby anymore. im adopting. How do you keep the humidity up with a heat pad. usually you put a light over a water bowl and that works. I might try making my on humidifier.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast