Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,194

0 members and 3,194 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What should I breed my "mimosa" with?

So I'm pretty new to all this and one of my two girls is a "mimosa", or ghost/champagne morph. She's absolutely gorgeous (looks like a really clean champagne and all the black is basically purple) and I think she could produce some cool babies.

I know what I'm breeding my other snake to, more or less, but I've really no clue what direction to take her in.

Again, I'm a noob so I really don't know much about how the genes interact aside from the basic dominant/recessive stuff.

So should I be looking for snakes that share the same recessive (ghost) trait and a different dominant one? Or the opposite? Or neither?

Of course suggestions of actual morphs to breed to are cool, but I'd like to understand why they're suggested.

Thanks so much for your time and patience!

Thanks
    I say pair her with a male enchi or lesser and if he is also hypo or het hypo then bonus. I recommended these two morphs based on personal preference. When it comes to the champagne morph I think the enchi champagne and lesser champagne look the best (don’t forget about the stunning and clean look of the pastel champagne)! Hope my input helps you deiced what direction you want to go in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jumbie For This Useful Post:

dkspftw (11-11-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: What should I breed my "mimosa" with?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbie View Post
    I say pair her with a male enchi or lesser and if he is also hypo or het hypo then bonus. I recommended these two morphs based on personal preference. When it comes to the champagne morph I think the enchi champagne and lesser champagne look the best (don’t forget about the stunning and clean look of the pastel champagne)! Hope my input helps you deiced what direction you want to go in.
    Thanks! Yeah that's pretty similar to the advice her breeder gave. I think he said enchi as well.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Do I definitely want to breed it with one of the lighter color morphs as darker things would sort of destroy the champagne color/patterning?

Other dominants I was looking at (from browsing around this site) were maybe mystic or mojave or something, although hypo-mojaves look cooler to me than hypo-mystics.

Hypo-champagne-mystic or hypo-champagne mojave maybe?

I think no matter what dominant morph I go with I'd like to try to find a male that is displaying the hypo/ghost trait to keep that going in the genes.

Thanks
    Yes, I'd definitely get something that is at least het hypo, if not homo hypo.

I like the look of cinnamon champagnes: http://www.worldofballpythons.com/mo...agne-cinnamon/

Throw in a little hypo and that's a smoking animal. Or maybe a hypo pewter? Or hypo super pastel? I'd go for pretty much any hypo co-dom animal and then just pick your favorite of them. You can't really make a "wrong" choice here IMO. REally just whatever is your fancy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Apple Herps For This Useful Post:

dkspftw (01-10-2014)

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    Enchi is about the only gene strong enough to add pattern to the Champagne.

Pairing both my Champagne girls with Enchi Fire and Enchi Pastel.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

bad-one (11-17-2013),dkspftw (11-18-2013),Mike41793 (11-16-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Apple Herps View Post
    homo hypo.
    This may not work,his preferences are apparently backwards

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes, I'd definitely get something that is at least het hypo, if not homo hypo.

I like the look of cinnamon champagnes: http://www.worldofballpythons.com/mo...agne-cinnamon/

Throw in a little hypo and that's a smoking animal. Or maybe a hypo pewter? Or hypo super pastel? I'd go for pretty much any hypo co-dom animal and then just pick your favorite of them. You can't really make a "wrong" choice here IMO. REally just whatever is your fancy.
    If you don't mind me asking, why co-dom and not just dom? (sorry if that's an incredibly basic/dumb question)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkspftw View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, why co-dom and not just dom? (sorry if that's an incredibly basic/dumb question)
    The co-doms give you opportunities for supers, which means that many more morphs you can make down the road.

And right now, the only dominant morphs I can think of off the top of my head are pinstripe and spider, both of which are pattern morphs and wouldn't do much for your champagne projects.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Apple Herps For This Useful Post:

dkspftw (01-10-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The co-doms give you opportunities for supers, which means that many more morphs you can make down the road.

And right now, the only dominant morphs I can think of off the top of my head are pinstripe and spider, both of which are pattern morphs and wouldn't do much for your champagne projects.
    And super morphs could potentially still display even with the other dominant champagne morph genes in there?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the basics of genetics as I'm quite new to this--I guess I need to think of each morph as a unique gene that can be added on, rather than feeling like the snake only has one color or pattern morph "slot", and adding one can overwrite the other. I realize it might look this way visually, but I've gotta stop thinking that genetics work that way, haha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast