Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,757

3 members and 2,754 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Ptyhon Hissing

Okay, so everyone has told me not to handle while he is shedding, so at the beginning when he was just pink I handled him everyday. But when his eyes went blue I didn't handle him as regularly. So last time I handled him for a full session (25-30 minutes) was November 2nd. Since then I've only taken him out twice but only for a minute or two (the 4th and second) now his eyes are less blue and he's turned a darker color (morning of the 9th) but when I tried to pick him up he hissed at me. Should I leave him until his shed is completely finished or should I attempt to pick him up even while he's hissing? I'm afraid I might get bit but more afraid he's not hand trained anymore.

Thanks
    I would leave him alone til shed is over. Honestly you're over handling a bit. I handle mine about twice per week and they are absolutely fine.
    He is most likely hissing due to being in shed, leave him be til it's over.
    If everyone has told you not to handle during shed why are you so adamant about handling?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ball Ptyhon Hissing

You're overreacting, I have a feeling you approach your snake from above, to the snake, that's a bird of prey bud. Reach down and pick him up from under his belly, he might still nip you a time or two but it is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I personally do not handle my snakes when they go into she simply because the shed cycle is an uncomfortable time for the animal.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Physician&Snakes For This Useful Post:

MyLittleViper (11-09-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    When they start their shed cycle I only handle them when needed (if something needs to be cleaned for example).

Once they go blue, I leave them alone entirely until they are done shedding. They get water, but I don't need to move them for that.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hmmm...

A hiss is better than a bite!
    I think Physician&Snake is right about the part about your snake being scared (you aren't overreacting, in my opinion. You are just concerned).

Have your snake ever struck or bit you? I feel like this is an uncommon thing for BPs to do, based on what I've read. If not, it may not actually happen, so try not to be nervous if you can help it.

I wouldn't worry about the hissing; if you change up your approach it will (probably) stop. Try scooping from the sides with both hands, like a blob of spagetti This works for my (previously) aggressive corn snake, who did bite me MANY times, and draw blood.

I personally just go about the normal "routine" while my snakes are in shed. If they get flighty, I leave them be. Athough they tend to be a bit more relaxed, probably because they can't see
    I think every snake will be different though. Some may only tolerate coming out while not in shed, some it doesn't matter. Some can only be out for a few minutes once or twice a week, some could care less how often they come out. Personally I just take them out until they get restless, which can be anywhere from 15 minutes to one or 2 hours, a few times a week.

Good luck!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NH93 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't want to do 4 separate responses, but I tried to pick him up like I normally would, I've had him for about 3 weeks with no problem in the way he is picked up, he's not aggressive at all usually. And the reason I wanted to make sue I picked him up is someone had said if you don't handle them for over a week they might not be used to being handled and I didn't want that to happen. I was worried because it's been a week. But I'm certain he's fine. He seems to be acting normal now.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to do 4 separate responses, but I tried to pick him up like I normally would, I've had him for about 3 weeks with no problem in the way he is picked up, he's not aggressive at all usually. And the reason I wanted to make sue I picked him up is someone had said if you don't handle them for over a week they might not be used to being handled and I didn't want that to happen. I was worried because it's been a week. But I'm certain he's fine. He seems to be acting normal now.

Thanks
    That is not true... do not worry so much about not handling him while in shed. It is a very uncomfortable time for them and if your snake doesn't want to be played with during that time you should respect that.
    Has he eaten for you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

MyLittleViper (11-09-2013),Phantomtip (11-09-2013)

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleViper View Post

- - - Updated - - -

In my experience, it takes at least 1-3 months for a snake's established habit(s) to be completely altered after they are well conditioned. For example, if I only open the cages to feed for the next 1.5 months, then more than likely a few of my specimens are going to begin to only expect food when the cage is opened. The "scooping spaghetti" method mentioned by a previous poster is very effective for almost any small animal in my experience.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Physician&Snakes For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (11-09-2013),MyLittleViper (11-09-2013),NH93 (11-10-2013),Phantomtip (11-09-2013)

Thanks

Like most people here already said, you shouldn't handle your BP while he's shedding unless you absolutely have to. In this stage most BPs are irritable and don't act like they usually do. I say most, because my Albino doesn't care about being handled during shed but my normal definitely had mood swings. So it really depends on the snake. The hissing is your BP being "thoughtful" and letting you know he's not happy right now.

On the handling part, you don't need to handle BPs much in order for them to be used to it. My advice is that you should actually limit yourself to handling your BP to a couple of times a week because excessive handling might be stressful to the little guy.

Sent using Tapatalk
    1.0 Abino, 0.1 Normal, 0.1 Pastave Het Pied
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (11-09-2013),Phantomtip (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Your snake has limited vision right now due to being in shed. It can't see to you as well. Your movement is probably a shadowed blur, so it doesn't know what you are. That's why it's hissing.
    Just wait to handle your snake when it's done shedding.

Even if your snake was a regular hisser, it's really nothing to worry about. Some are just more 'talkative' than others.
    None of my adults hiss, but some of them hissed a boat load when they were youngsters. It's normal for babies to hiss. They're vulnerable at that age.

And I rarely handle my snakes regularly. The only time I really handle them is to clean their enclosures. Never had to worry about them becoming not 'hand trained' because they don't really need the 'training' to begin with. They're a very tame docile species in general from the get go. (aside from the very rare exception)

Not to mention that bites from ball pythons do not hurt. They are surprising, yes. But a paper cut hurts worse, in my opinion.I've been bitten a few times and I really didn't know I was hit until I saw the blood. Didn't feel a thing.

And a ball python usually only bites out of fear or insecurity. Hardly ever from true aggression. So as long as it feels safe and you don't smell like a feeder, there is a very slim chance of you actually getting bitten.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast