Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

1 members and 3,211 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: F/Ts are not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MootWorm View Post
    Wait... Are you keeping 3 rats and 3 hoppers in a 2.5 gallon all together???

OP, did you put the rat in the freezer immediately after you euthanized it? Or was it in an area where it was constantly thawing a bit each time you opened the freezer? The rats shouldn't stink when you thaw them. I've only had it happen a few times when I bought them from an outside source.
    Yes I am..1 of each will be gone tommorow... And I've done this before with 2 hoppers and 1 rat for 3-4 days and had no problems...I threw a little food and water in the tank....they will be ok..plus it works out well cause my ghost eats anything and black pastel only mice and I wann switch him over,so the scents will be all over the place....
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 11-06-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post
    Yes I am..1 of each will be gone tommorow... And I've done this before with 2 hoppers and 1 rat for 3-4 days and had no problems...I threw a little food and water in the tank....they will be ok
    I have a 1 gallon,if it's necessary I can transfer the hoppers to there. And the rats are the next size up from pups there not full grown adults.
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 11-06-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I only feed f/t because my rat colony isn't big enough to keep up with my snake collection. Some day I'll have a rat shed so they aren't in the house and then I'll go back to feeding live only. I also hate dealing with f/t.

Thanks
    Snakes lack the ability to play. Literally cannot play like a dog or cat. Your snake was simply trying to eat. Please don't attribute qualities a snake is not capable of possessing simply because you didn't like what your snake was doing, which was eating the only way a snake can eat, by trying to get the rodent in position to swallow whole, using the only tool a snake has: it's mouth. There's a pretty good chance you're going to see the same behavior in future feedings, so you should get use to it, or have someone else feed if you can't.
    BPs: 1.0 Lemonblast, 0.1 Pastel, 1.0 Pewter, 0.1 Platinum Lesser
    Corns: 1.0 maybe ghost vanishing stripe, 0.1 Snow. 0.1 Okeetee, 0.0.1 Normal
    Milks: 0.1 Albino Nelsoni
    Boas: 1.0 Anery adult KSB, 0.1 rufescens KSB, 0.1 yellow (normal) KSB
    Other: 2.5 Leos, ~60 tarantulas, 2 scorps, 1.2 dogs, 0.2 rats, 0.1 offspring

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bugmom For This Useful Post:

Mr. Misha (11-06-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bugmom View Post
    Snakes lack the ability to play. Literally cannot play like a dog or cat.
    Are you serious? I tried and play fetch with my snakes yesterday I was wondering why they wouldn't chase the ball...thnx for the helpful info

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NYHC4LIFE8899 For This Useful Post:

Phantomtip (11-06-2013)

Thanks

I agree with Bugmom. Snakes don't really play with their food. They mearly try to eat.

Thankfully I have the opportunity to feed live or freshly killed. It's a little bit more expensive but definitely a lot less hassle and easier than f/t (that's just my personal opinion). Personally, the thought of defrosting mice just doesn't seem very fun to me.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

I had it placed perfectly fpr her to eat it head first. This is the first she has eaten solely for me since I got her back. Before I had to leave jer she ate without "playing" with her food. When she is tossing it literally from 1 side of the enclosure to the next then gnawing the head like she is going to eat it just to toss it again I'm going to say she is playing with it. I'm sorry if that offends some people but this girl use to have a voracious appetite. She would coil, and eat no interaction like she did with this one today. I covered the front of her cage and could hear the thwap thwap of the at hitting the sides. I need to get in there tomorrow and wipe down the sides from blood now. I have never seen a ball do what she did either. I wish I had a stronger stomach to have gotten it on camera and let y'all judge if it was playing or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    I agree with Bugmom. Snakes don't really play with their food. They mearly try to eat.

Thankfully I have the opportunity to feed live or freshly killed. It's a little bit more expensive but definitely a lot less hassle and easier than f/t (that's just my personal opinion). Personally, the thought of defrosting mice just doesn't seem very fun to me.
    I'm with ya!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks

I've always fed live but since I had this one in the freezer and I get cold easynand really just didnt wamt to drive all the way to town for a rat decided to give it a try. Next time I will just drive to town and get one. I had to do frozen for the ones at the pet store I helped at bit the place smelled so bad I never smelled them.

Thanks
    Just a thought on the smell...

You could have accidentally cooked it a bit with that warm water. I thaw all my rats and mice by leaving them on the counter, and they don't smell. Although sometimes when I put the rats in warm water in a baggie to scent, they has a dull odour.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast