Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,279

3 members and 3,276 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New to Pythons advice on 1st Purchase.

Hello guys,

After careful consideration I have decided to take the leap into pyhtons and breeding. I have kept Bearded dragons and breeded them in the past so i am not by any means new to repltiles. I think all the different BP morphs are amazing and would like to eventually hatch some designer morphs like the ones already out there eg. Dreamsicle. I understand its a lenghty process but im looking forward to experiment with all the established base morphs. I have an opportunity to pick up either an albino male or female. but dont know which sex to choose. My next purchase would be a visual Pied of the opposite sex depending on the albino. I guess my question is what sex would be more beneficial for future breedings male or female Albino? Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Are you planning on buying hatchlings or breedable age snakes?
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Always buy your females first. That said - Breeding them together would result in a normal looking animal that is double het for albino and pied. What might make more sense for you is to simply buy the double het female now and get the double het male next year. It will shave 3+ years off of how long it will take to make your albino pied and probably not cost a whole lot more.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Females generally take longer to get to breeding age/weight, so if you are getting young BP's then the female would be the better choice.

Just FYI if you are going for dreamsicles you will need a lavender albino, not a normal albino

Dreamsicle: http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/dreamsicle/

Regular albino Pied: http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/albino-pied/
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Im purchasing hatchlings at the moment , and yes Im aware i need the lavender element in there for the dreamsicle. It was just an example of a designer morph. I hadn't though about double hets, i have however heard its a lot more risky to deal with hets as oppose to visuals. Another question regarding the dreamsicles, now that were on that subject, do you have to breed a pied to a lavender/albino or can you still get a dream from a lavender to a pied/albino? does it matter? if im not mistaken it would take two generations for the dream to come out right? After the initial breeding you would breed one of the offspring back to one of the parents correct?

Thank you all for your quick replies.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: New to Pythons advice on 1st Purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Crilund View Post
    Im purchasing hatchlings at the moment , and yes Im aware i need the lavender element in there for the dreamsicle. It was just an example of a designer morph. I hadn't though about double hets, i have however heard its a lot more risky to deal with hets as oppose to visuals. Another question regarding the dreamsicles, now that were on that subject, do you have to breed a pied to a lavender/albino or can you still get a dream from a lavender to a pied/albino? does it matter? if im not mistaken it would take two generations for the dream to come out right? After the initial breeding you would breed one of the offspring back to one of the parents correct?

Lavender albino is a just a different strain of Albino, it's a completely separate morph. Regular albinos don't play a role at all in making dreamsicles.

Buying Hets is all about trust. You have to find a breeder that you can trust is providing you with the genetics they say they are. A visual is the sure fire bet as there is no question of the genetics, but from a financial standpoint hets can be a much better deal. If you can get a 100% het snake then you only have a 50% chance of the genetics being passed on, and with 66% het or 50% gets there is a chance the the snake isn't carrying the genes at all.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 11-06-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Re: New to Pythons advice on 1st Purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Crilund View Post

Het. Lavender Albino Het. Piebald x Het. Lavender Albino Het. Piebald
    6.25% 1/16 Normal
    12.5% 2/16 Het. Lavender Albino
    12.5% 2/16 Het. Piebald
    18.75% 3/16 Het. Lavender Albino Het. Piebald
    6.25% 1/16 Lavender Albino
    12.5% 2/16 Lavender Albino Het. Piebald
    6.25% 1/16 Het. Lavender Albino Het. Piebald
    6.25% 1/16 Piebald
    12.5% 2/16 Piebald Het. Lavender Albino
    6.25% 1/16 Dreamsicle