Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,246

1 members and 1,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

So....my BP has mites...

I discovered a small black speck in my BP's water bowl this morning and thought nothing of it until I came home this afternoon to see my BP completely submerged in her water bowl.

She is usually an extremely nocturnal girl, coming out when it is basically pitch black and rarely out of her hides; seeing her out during the day and submerged started setting off alarm bells straight away! As soon as she went back into her hide I delved in for the water bowl and low and behold, black specks. I removed one with some tweezers and popped it which proved the one thing I was hoping against. She has mites.

I only fed my girl on the 22nd (very late at night) so I was not planning on handling until tomorrow night at the earliest as I would like to not risk a regurge! The people I got her from are sending out a treatment and instructions in the post tomorrow (which likely means I won't get it until Monday) so I was wondering if you had any tips in the meantime? Anyone who has dealt with mites before?

I got a new BP on Monday who hasn't fed yet who I was going to leave alone until feeding on Tuesday but I think it's imperative I get him checked over in case he is the mite bringer and if he is clear I need to move his room (bring him into my bedroom which isn't far from her but I live in a shoebox) He is currently about 2.5 metres from her on a table in my kitchen (I have a kitchen/sitting room) as it is unfortunately as far away as I could reasonably get him away.

Any tips would be great! I don't seem to be having much luck at the moment!

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    1) Don't stress

2) Buy a can of Provent-a-mite (Can be ordered online) http://www.pro-products.com/index.ph...d=53&Itemid=59

3) Follow directions
    Last edited by Rickys_Reptiles; 10-24-2013 at 01:33 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rickys_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Naom9Anne (10-24-2013),Pythonfriend (10-24-2013)

Thanks
    Checked my new BP (felt awful as he's still settling but I know it was imperative I did) and he is completely clear of mites so he hasn't brought them in with him. Moved him into my room and changed his substrate from aspen to white paper towels to double check he is clear. No sign of any nasties in his water bowl so looks like it's just my pastel. (You would think it would be the other way around as my het albino (male) was bought private and she was bought from a proper reptile shop) Any idea how she might have gotten them if not from him?

I'll get myself online for some proven-a-mite now! Thank you! I should still treat my other BP although he doesn't have them himself, correct?

Thanks
    Oh dear, I can't find provent-a-mite in the UK anywhere....I don't suppose any of the forum users are from the UK and have managed successfully to order some?

Thanks

Re: So....my BP has mites...

She brought them from the shop. Most shops do not produce their own animals. They by them wholesale from brokers and private individuals and very rarely follow proper Quarantine protocols. She may have brought them to the shop with her or picked them up while she was there. Either way PAM used properly will kill the living Bejeezus out of mites. I tool in a rescue that had mites and had him cleared up within a week using it. Just make sure you remove and wash the water bowl and only place the animal into enclosure once the Provent a Mite is completely dry.

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
    Speak useful words or be silent - The Havamal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Emrich
    Worldserpent Exotics

Like us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/Worldserpent1

Thanks

As an addendum even though the snake I brought in was visually free of mites after 7 days I continued treating the enclosure for a full month.

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
    Speak useful words or be silent - The Havamal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Emrich
    Worldserpent Exotics

Like us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/Worldserpent1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post
    1) Don't stress

2) Buy a can of Provent-a-mite (Can be ordered online) http://www.pro-products.com/index.ph...d=53&Itemid=59

3) Follow directions
    thats basically it.

switch to paper towels, clean the enclosure often and properly, and when they are on the snake you can provide relief by giving the snake a bath in lukewarm water, add a tiny little drop of dishwasher fluid (a really tiny amount is enough, like a drop per gallon) to the water just to break surface tension, and they will drown.

with these simple basic things you maybe wont exterminate the mites, but you will reduce them by like 95%-99% and provide relief for the BP, and that buys you enough time to get something decent like provent-a-mite. Time is only important when you have a gazillion other reptiles and fear that it might spread, if thats not the case then you have all the time you need to get your research and (international) shipping done properly.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Banned
    Thanks
    I recently bought a can of provent a mite off of eBay. BeLive the seller has quiet a few left

My snake don't have mites ( knock on wood) and hasn't yet, but have the bottle just in case . As a safety measure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Provent-A-Mi...item35cca5d7ae
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 10-24-2013 at 09:30 PM.