Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,289

1 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Albino Bubblegum rat

My "stud" colubrid that was sooo close to breeding age, passed away a few months ago, and I didn't go and buy anything in a knee jerk reaction, but his sister (my breedable female) that was housed with him since birth became very nasty with me and refused to eat for at least a month... she would pace the tank like she was looking for him, and everytime I would approach the tank, she'd rear up in a strike pose and rattle her tail... she was taking his loss hard...
    SO... after a month and a half of deciding on which species to get, I had a pretty basic idea that I'd get some kind of ratsnake...
    As I was walking through my local reptile show last month, I saw a really stunning looking albino bubblegum rat at my favorite vendor's table.
    After some talking, we discussed the ratsnake... he's a proven breeder, likes being with another snake, and he's just slightly bigger than my breedable female. SO, I bought him.

I put him in the tank with my female, and she immediately started throbbing on him... a week ago, I took him out for a half hour, and when I put him back in, HE throbbed against her gently.... I'm going to cool them over the winter, and try to breed them this spring.
    They seem to REALLY REALLY like each other, and ever since she's been wolfing down food, and her attitude went back to the normal, sweet self I know and love.
    She's protective of him, which is funny, every time I go to take him out, she keeps a watchful eye on me.. and visa versa when I go to take her out... he watches me carefully...
    People don't think snakes can bond, but my snakes are living proof that they can and do. I know it's not conventional to house two snakes together, but, this is what I did, and I'm happy I did, and so is my girl. Some people may curse me and give me flack for it, but I know and am fully aware that it's not "proper" to house two snakes together, this works for me, and for them, and I don't plan on changing that
    ~,*-_` HOLLY `_-*,~

0 Leucistic Texas Ratsnake (Zeejay/ZJ)
    0.1 Triple hybird [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine snakes] (Butter)
    1.0 Albino Bubblegum Ratsnake (Peaches)
    0.1 Quintuple hybrid [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine, Bubblegum Rat, Everglades Rat snakes](Peanut)
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Monty)
    0.0.1 HUGE adult normal Ball Python (McMangles)
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python (Benny)
    1.0 Tokay Gecko (Musachi)
    1.0 Knight/ Giant Cuban Anole (Buggy)
    0.0.1 Indonesian Garter Snake (Pascal)
    0.0.2 Golden Geckos (un-named)
    4.2 Turtles (
    Willie,Crash, Sparky, Rio, Chuckie, Tickle)

1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Mopar)
    1.0 Triple hybrid (Bread)
    Rest in Peace little buddies

2. The Following User Says Thank You to valhalha30 For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (10-24-2013)

Thanks

Re: Albino Bubblegum rat

Hey!

Everyone has their own opinions and thoughts about what they think is best. When it comes down to it, it is their opinion and nothing more. Traditionally it isn't normal to house two snakes together mainly for the reason that some day something may go wrong. So generally most peoples opinions are safety related for both the snakes. But do what makes you happy! That is pretty awesome they are acting like that
    ~Jake
    Ball Pythons
    0.2 Normal Ball Python (Rhea & Andarta)

Dogs

1.0 German Shepard/Pitbull (Dante)

Rats

0.2 Dumbo Rat (Baku & Zishiki)
    Fish
    2.0 Goldfish (Gustav & Ivan)
    1.0 Yellow Glow fish (Ed)
    1.0 Purple Glow fish (Edd)
    1.0 Red Glow Fish (Eddy)

“Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BloodStar For This Useful Post:

valhalha30 (10-23-2013)

Thanks
    They are unique lol, never saw any snakes act like them before
    ~,*-_` HOLLY `_-*,~

0.1 Quintuple hybrid [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine, Bubblegum Rat, Everglades Rat snakes](Peanut)
    4.2 Turtles (

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I've got nothing against keeping snakes together. I'm more concerned with your lack of quarantine - especially when a seemingly healthy animal drops dead with little warning. You rather haphazardly throw these animals together; recipe for disaster.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

valhalha30 (10-24-2013)

Thanks
    i know, i know... but I had the bubblegum in a big tupperware container for 8 hours, treated 4 times for mites, and watched/listened/observed for any signs of unhealthiness..... he seems and acts perfectly healthy. It's been over a month, and he just seems to have gotten healthier with my vitamin doses during feeding.... very vibrant colors, and very perky and normal activity in the tank. I got him from the same breeder as the hybrids... and he's never sold me a sick snake or even attempted to sell a sick snake, so, I trust that the bubblegum is 100%.
    My male hybrid passed away 2 1/2 years later from the time I bought him as a hatchling... I think once he hit puberty, he went through some internal changes, and perhaps that's what ended causing his death.... perhaps too much hormones, idk, something very odd, unseen, and developmental for sure....

Now, as far as my old male goes.......my deceased male was very different from his family. His mother was yellow, his daddy was gold. His sister (my female) is high gold, and so was the rest of the clutch. He was the only one who was white.
    The vet said he probably had developmental issues in his genetics (since they are hybrids) and one gene was probably too dominant or too recessive, which could have led to his strange appearance in comparison to his "family"..... and it could of led to unseen issues that affected his brain or insides. Bread, the white male, was hyperactive and somewhat unpredictable in behavior, he was nice and never bit, but, he was just so odd, even his breeder said so.

Everyone I talked to all said it was just one of those unexpected things that sometimes happen when raising snakes...... so, it may sound cold.... but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. There are tons of breeders out there who have seemingly healthy snakes just die overnight for no reason or warning.... it happens, and it sucks... but it's just nature.. and even though we think we have it in our control, strange things happen that we never foresaw happening that were waayyy out of our control.
    Sorry for that tangent.... lol... got a little carried away.
    ~,*-_` HOLLY `_-*,~

4.2 Turtles (