Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,857

1 members and 2,856 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

I had a touching moment with my BP today

Today was my girls feeding day. Like normal I pulled her out of her tub before feeding so I could give her and her tub a good looking over. I set her back in her tub and she just sat there watching me in kind of a half way strike position. She knows when I do this is time to eat.

I got her rat and she made quick work of killing her pre killed dinner. Some how the back end of the rat got wet and a small amount of the aspen stuck to it as the swallowing started. I tried the best I could to pick it off with my tongs as she kept swallowing. I managed to get all but 3 small pieces. The where so small I'm sure they wouldn't have hurt her.

The problem was as the tail went down the pieces became stuck to her mouth. Once the tail was gone she was opening and closing her mouth like a person trying to get something out of their teeth with their tongue. She was looking at me with her head raised and showing that the aspen was bothering her mouth. I slowly reached towards her with the tongs (they are like giant foot long plastic tweezers) and plucked all 3 pieces out. The one that bothered her the most was one right in the corner of her mouth by her eye. She even let me get that one with out a problem. After I got the last one out she reset her jaw and went to her hide and started curling up as I put the lid back on.

I thought it was cool that she seemed to know that I was there to help. I know their brains don't work like ours but it sure seems like it sometimes. I didn't ever have to hold her still or anything. She stayed perfectly still and let me do it.
    Last edited by jwill226; 10-23-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks
    personification

but cool story non the less
    1.4 Ball Python 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Bci

3. The Following User Says Thank You to threezero For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (10-23-2013)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

I had a touching moment with my BP today

I think that is awesome! My big girl Eva always strikes and wraps the rodents so fast she wraps up a bunch of the aspen too and I always have to try and rub off as much aspen as I can from the rat but she always manages to get some stuck in her mouth and she Hates when I help her get it out! Even though she always seems a lot happier after I get it out. I wish she would do that! I know it may seem like personification but sometimes it really feels like we can connect with our scales critters on personal levels. thanks for sharing such a cool experience! I've had a similar situation with the same snake Eva when she got stuck in one of her hides and it took me hours and hours to get her out, I actually had to break the hide in half to get her out, but during the whole ordeal she stayed calm and didn't try to bite me or even hiss at me. I felt like she knew I was trying to help her out because she wasn't fighting against me she was actually working with me. It's was a crazy messed up situation but I think it built up a lot of trust between us. She's my biggest sweetest girl in my collection, she'll always be my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks
    When I had Tali on aspen, she got some stuck in her mouth... it wasn't coming loose on it's own, and it was big enough I was afraid of her swallowing it. I picked her up and grabbed it with the tongs, fully expecting her to get rightfully pissy. Nope she just calmly opened up her mouth when I started tugging with the tongs and allowed me to pull them out without any dramatics.

0.1 Normal Ball Python 'Tali'
    0.1 Western Hognose 'Argo'
    1.0 Jack Russell Terrier 'Keiko'
    0.1 Mexican Golden Red Rump Tarantula 'Charlotte'
    ----
    "Some Day"
    -Blood Python
    -Hoggs Island Boa
    -Red Tail Boa (Sunglow)
    -Mexican Black Kingsnake
    -Rosy Boa
    -Sand Boa