Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

3 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New ball python owner with extensive reptile experience

Just brought a male pastel BP into my collection and it is the first snake I have owned. Here in central florida ball python morphs and breeders are the norm but I have yet to meet someone with knowledge of what a small time exclusively "high end" breeding setup might bring in $wise yearly i.e coral glow, super bumble bee etc..

Thanks

Re: New ball python owner with extensive reptile experience

Quote Originally Posted by Pastelioni View Post
    Just brought a male pastel BP into my collection and it is the first snake I have owned. Here in central florida ball python morphs and breeders are the norm but I have yet to meet someone with knowledge of what a small time exclusively "high end" breeding setup might bring in $wise yearly i.e coral glow, super bumble bee etc..
    Im trying to figure out what the question is? If your only in this for the money do us all a favor, and [go away]! There is no need to breed for money. This causes flooding of animal no one wants! If this is your goal, look into stocks and bonds...
    Last edited by JLC; 10-14-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: language

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V2 HeX View Post
    If your only in this for the money do us all a favor, and [go away]!
    No need to get nasty.

OP, what exactly is your question? Most of us in this hobby would be lucky to break even. And most of us would be ECSTATIC to. You can't get into this for dollar signs. But maybe you can be a little clearer as to what you're asking, exactly.
    Last edited by dr del; 10-15-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: matching quote to edited post
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anya For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    You, personally, won't "make" money out of this unless you're waltzing in the door with a huge chunk of change to buy up a double het project or some combo bananas.

Realistically you can fund your hobby, but don't count on making a living out of this. You'll be more frustrated than you would be at your 9-5.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kodieh For This Useful Post:

3skulls (10-14-2013),Badgemash (10-14-2013),Mephibosheth1 (10-14-2013),STjepkes (10-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Im trying to figure out what the question is? If your only in this for the money do us all a favor, and [go away]! There is no need to breed for money. This causes flooding of animal no one wants! If this is your goal, look into stocks and bonds...
    Please do not take it upon yourself to tell others that they are not welcomed at this site. This will not be a good site for YOU if you can not get along with people that think differently than you do or have different motivations than you do.
    -- Judy

Thanks

I thought this site was promoted as the "FRIENDLIEST" online herp community .. because I asked a simple newbie question I don't feel being verbally attacked is justified. That being said I do apologize if I offended you. I was only interested in the making of a productive breeding facility and if it was profitable when EXCLUSIVELY dealing with the high end morphs such as coral glow etc which sell for thousands of dollars. This is not "because I am only seeking to make money" but simply because I am interested in the setup of a reputable breeder and what it entails.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pastelioni View Post
    I don't think anyone could give you the answer you seem to be seeking. How much any individual might make depends entirely on them and their particular circumstances. There is no "formula" for something so variable as ball python breeding as there might be for a typical career field with a salary, or even something as volatile as playing the stock markets over a stretch of years.

Just a FEW of the variables that come into play:

How much money do you have to start out with?
    What kinds of connections do you have for buying initial stock and equipment?
    What kinds of connections do you have for selling high end animals?
    What kind of presence and reputation do you have for selling ANY animals at all?
    How much land/space do already have to dedicate to the project?
    How handy are you at building/maintaining your own space and equipment?
    How savvy are you at spending money wisely?
    How savvy are you at knowing WHERE to spend your money in the ball python market?
    How good are you at running a smart business?
    How would you/do you treat customers?
    How good are you at advertising?
    How well do you actually work with animals?
    What kind of attention to detail do you naturally have?
    How many years are you willing to work earning absolutely nothing, with the hopes of one day being able to earn a living?
    What size operation do you consider "small"?

And so many more variables that don't even account for the "luck" factor, which plays a fairly significant role, especially in smaller operations. The fewer snakes you work with, the greater the chances of "whiffing out" on breeding seasons. Pairs might not breed. Females might not "catch" or "go". Eggs go bad. And sometimes the odds just don't play in your favor and a large clutch might hatch out nothing but normals and common single-gene babies.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to make money from your hobby, but if it's to be successful, it MUST be a passion already AND you have to be seriously skilled and fortunate in a lot of other areas as well.
    -- Judy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (10-14-2013)

Banned
    Thanks
    V2 I understand you whole heartedly and fully agree with your comment.. You apparently a person who loves animals,I'm the same way... Speak your mind,you said nothing wrong bro.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    I don't think anyone could give you the answer you seem to be seeking. How much any individual might make depends entirely on them and their particular circumstances. There is no "formula" for something so variable as ball python breeding as there might be for a typical career field with a salary, or even something as volatile as playing the stock markets over a stretch of years.

Just a FEW of the variables that come into play:

How much money do you have to start out with?
    What kinds of connections do you have for buying initial stock and equipment?
    What kinds of connections do you have for selling high end animals?
    What kind of presence and reputation do you have for selling ANY animals at all?
    How much land/space do already have to dedicate to the project?
    How handy are you at building/maintaining your own space and equipment?
    How savvy are you at spending money wisely?
    How savvy are you at knowing WHERE to spend your money in the ball python market?
    How good are you at running a smart business?
    How would you/do you treat customers?
    How good are you at advertising?
    How well do you actually work with animals?
    What kind of attention to detail do you naturally have?
    How many years are you willing to work earning absolutely nothing, with the hopes of one day being able to earn a living?
    What size operation do you consider "small"?

And so many more variables that don't even account for the "luck" factor, which plays a fairly significant role, especially in smaller operations. The fewer snakes you work with, the greater the chances of "whiffing out" on breeding seasons. Pairs might not breed. Females might not "catch" or "go". Eggs go bad. And sometimes the odds just don't play in your favor and a large clutch might hatch out nothing but normals and common single-gene babies.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to make money from your hobby, but if it's to be successful, it MUST be a passion already AND you have to be seriously skilled and fortunate in a lot of other areas as well.
    Thank you, Judy for such a well presented and thoughtful response. I must admit I do agree in that my question is not quite one that is able to be answered in hindsight and after thinking it through. I guess I just got excited with my new little friend and it lead me to this site with some dead end questions. Thanks for being forgiving with my ignorance on the subject.

Thanks

Shedding question

On another note I have noticed where he has some small pieces of shed left from his short lived time with his former owner (who was a kid and had him in very low humidity) they are very small pieces towrd his neck are but what can I do to helphim get these off ??? I have proper humidity but he still a few tiny spots left ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast