Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,080

1 members and 3,079 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions: Tub or AP t8?

Hello everyone! I'm a first-time snake owner so I apologize for all the questions.

I'm looking to move my ball python out of his glass aquarium but I'm a little unsure as to what to go with, so I was hoping you all could help! I was looking at the Animal Plastics t8 or just a normal 41q tub. What are your experiences with both? which do you like better? Obviously setting up a tub would be cheaper and it'd be great to save some money, but if a t8 holds heat and humidity better, then obviously I'd go for that.

Also, I have some questions about the t8:

The AP website sells flexwatt tape as an accessory for $35, but I've seen 11" flexwatt go for $3-7 a foot, so whats the difference?

Also, if I were to buy the divider and house my ball in one half of the tank, would it be enough space for him to live comfortably into adulthood, or should I just give him the whole tank?

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Thanks
    2x2 for an adult ball python? I'd say that's going on the extreme end of minimalism. I'd go with one t-8 for an adult.

I've house a 5 foot ball python in a t-12. Worked well, I'd recommend animal plastics for caging.

However if you want a lot of animals then racks would obviously be the way to go.
    Last edited by mikoh4792; 10-13-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    I don't use tubs or flexwatt, so I can't comment on that. I will say that I don't believe half a T8 is big enough for an adult BP. My adult male BP is in half right now, waiting for me to kick his cage-mate Boa out into my empty T10. With hide(s) and water bowl, half is very cramped. AP cages are great if you like to have animals on display.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions: Tub or AP t8?

Quote Originally Posted by mikoh4792 View Post
    2x2 for an adult ball python? I'd say that's going on the extreme end of minimalism.
    I would like to point out that a 2' x 2' cage has almost identical floor-space to that of a 41 quart tub that most people use for adult BP's. (571 square inches for the 41 quart vs 576 square inches for the 2' x 2') That said, I use full T8's for my adults, but you could house an adult in ½ of a T8 without any issues.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts

Re: Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions: Tub or AP t8?

If you're only going to have one or two snakes then go with the T8's. If you're like me where you start shopping for the next one as soon as the latest purchase goes into QT, get a rack/tub setup.

Thanks

Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions: Tub or AP t8?

I'm facing the same decision as the OP. I have a young BP and a Rosy Boa. Thought I could get the T8 and give them each half. For now I could, but it sounds like it won't be enough room for the BP once he grows. The boa does fairly well in the tank, but maintaining humidity in my BPs tank is a full time job. I need to switch to something else. If anyone has some input on the OP's question about the Flexwatt tape, I'd love to hear what you guys think. I'm making myself crazy with too many options, and fear of making a wrong (and expensive) choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "if you plan for a year, plant rice. If you plan for a decade, plant trees. If you plan for a lifetime, educate people." - Chinese Proverb

1.0 Normal BP - Tiki
    0.0.1 Albino Corn - Fuego
    0.0.1 Snow Corn - Zero
    1.0 Jack Russell - Bosco
    1.0 Morkie - Rocky
    1.0 Awesome Kid