Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,101

3 members and 3,098 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Space heater for winter ambient temperatures?

Hey

Due to my currently living situation, my two year old BP is currently staying with some colleagues of mine about a block away from where I am living, they house him and I go see him every day and take care of his various needs/messes/what-have-yous. With winter coming up, I am a bit worried about the ambient temps in the house- they like to save money and keep things around 65 degrees during the winter, which might be a little too cold for my babe.

I was wondering if a space heater could keep the 5' by 5' space around his cage sufficiently warm? The cage sits in a room that is very large and basically attaches to every other room in their apartment, so there is no way I could heat the entire space, but I would rather use a space heater rather than paying to heat their whole apartment if it will get the job done!

Any ideas or other suggestions?

Edit: I forgot to mention that yes, he does have a properly heated warm and cool side, but I don't want the ambient temps to drop so much that he relies solely on the warm side of the tank
    Last edited by terrorcel; 10-07-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pelonis-1...0#.UlMue1A3uSo with a ranco thermostat

I recommend to stay away from Oil filled heater that have a digital thermostat, they cannot be trusted and are the first thing to go.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Would it be cheaper to use a heat bulb?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Thanks
    Probably, but I don't want to completely destroy all humidity in the tank, winters here are really dry already, it's a challenge keeping it around 65% and I can only imagine what a heat bulb would do

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The best option for a single snake is to have a second heat pad and a second thermostat (so one is set for the cool side one is for the warm side).
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    I won't weigh in on the heater itself as I may be switching mine and haven't shopped around too much yet, but I saw on a breeder's page that they used this item with success and thought it was worth sharing:

http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-Co...rds=lux+win100

I just ordered one today, then basically you set the built in t-stat on the heater/AC for a few degrees higher/cooler than you set this one and it acts as a failsafe. The stat has 4.5 stars from over 500 reviews and a lot of them cite using this in terrariums and greenhouses, etc. It handles up to 1500w. I like that I'll be able to set it to my AC for a max temp turn on and my heater for a min temp turn on in the same device.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'd use a heat lamp.

Here is a thread that will help to retain both heat and humidity: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...e-using-a-tank

Trying to heat a small portion of a large room will be pointless, heat doesn't work that way.
    Last edited by Rickys_Reptiles; 10-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.