Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,299

2 members and 3,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Little Mojo hasn't eaten yet.

The little male mojo I picked up on 9/22 still hasn't eaten yet. I know I really shouldn't worry, but he's just so tiny at 97 grams!

The first week I tried to feed him, he struck at the mouse wrapped it and then left it there and didn't eat. Turns out he was shedding and shed for me 1 full piece yesterday. I tried to feed him yesterday with a small f/t mouse and he had zero interest in it.

He’s in a 32 quart quarantine tub, hot spot is set for 87 and the rest of the tub is in the lower 80’s. To be honest I never see him out and about in his tub like I do the pastel in the tub above him.

First time I tried to feed him was with a medium mouse and he struck and wrapped it. Second time was with a small mouse and he showed no interest.

Any suggestions?
    I've got quite a few...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Little Mojo hasn't eaten yet.

Sounds like something I've seen ball pythons do when they are finicky eaters. Stick to live until he starts eating better for you. I would get a mouse hopper and let him sort it out with that. Then maybe after a feeding or two depending on how you think he's eating you can switch to frozen thawed.

When I have picky eaters that are under 100 grams I'll usually do mouse hoppers, but if they're eating no problem then I'll do the switch to a rat pinkie and stick them on that then I'll go up the sizes quickly.

Good luck and keep us updated on the situation. It's nothing to worry about though.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Montypython696 (10-03-2013)

Thanks
    I really don't want to feed live. That'd be an absolute last move if I have to. I bought two snakes from the same guy, the Female Pastel Het. Hypo and the Male Mojave. the pastel had no issues and took the transition from live to frozen first time. The mojo I was so happy to see him strike at the mouse and coil it last week. But the little bugger just wouldn't have it. Then a day later he went into blue, so I figured that's why he didn't eat.
    I've got quite a few...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montypython696 View Post
    I really don't want to feed live. That'd be an absolute last move if I have to. I bought two snakes from the same guy, the Female Pastel Het. Hypo and the Male Mojave. the pastel had no issues and took the transition from live to frozen first time. The mojo I was so happy to see him strike at the mouse and coil it last week. But the little bugger just wouldn't have it. Then a day later he went into blue, so I figured that's why he didn't eat.
    Some take the transition with no problem then some can be problematic and some will never take it. While I get that you really don't want to feed live, you need to get him established. The reason he's most likely coiling and not eating it is most likely due to the size. Try something a bit smaller to see if that helps. Then if he doesn't do that, offer him something live but still small like a mouse hopper.
    -Venomous-

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Some take the transition with no problem then some can be problematic and some will never take it. While I get that you really don't want to feed live, you need to get him established. The reason he's most likely coiling and not eating it is most likely due to the size. Try something a bit smaller to see if that helps. Then if he doesn't do that, offer him something live but still small like a mouse hopper.
    Yeah, I have to admit the guy I tried to feed the first time was just a wee on the medium side. I ran to a local pet store and picked up a 6 pack of small mice, I’ve got plenty of medium in the freezer but no small!

Tried to feed him a small yesterday and no interest, however he may have been stressed out due to me weighing him and getting the shed out of his cage.

I’m going to leave him completely alone for the next week until feeding day comes then try a small guy again and see what happens. Hopefully its good news. If nothing comes of it I’ll see about getting him a small hopper or something that can’t fight back.
    I've got quite a few...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I mean don't get me wrong you can try a f/t hopper but what if he doesn't eat then he may not want to eat when you offer him live. I'm just pointing out what I would do to get him a little weight on. A small live hopper would be the best bet especially if he's not already eating f/t. Then the feeding after I would try back with f/t. For me if a snake is under 100 grams I don't like them to miss two meals. While some can and some can't depending on how much under 100g, this is more or less my comfort zone.
    -Venomous-

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (10-04-2013)

Thanks

Here is the little man, sticking with Greek names his name is Apollo
    I've got quite a few...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    A small live hopper would be the best bet especially if he's not already eating f/t. Then the feeding after I would try back with f/t. For me if a snake is under 100 grams I don't like them to miss two meals. While some can and some can't depending on how much under 100g, this is more or less my comfort zone.

I know. It gets me really super stressed out when my guys skip a meal. It really gets me anxious.
    I've got quite a few...

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Little Mojo hasn't eaten yet.

Try not to stress yourself out too much. I definitely know how you feel. My little guy didn't eat for me for a whole month before he started eating. He was transitioning from live to f/t so it was a battle but I can be won. Just keep offering every week and try some mouse hoppers. Mine wouldn't take rats right off the bat even though the breeder feed him rats. I had to drop him down to mouse hoppers and he started gobbling them up. But try and get whatever type of rodent your feeding him really really warm. And offer it in a non threatening way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Accidentally pushed the post button wasn't finished lol. But try to replicate the movements of a rodent and keep it floor level. I know some people dangle their rodents by the tail and that doesn't work with all snakes it scares some of them. So I hope all of this helps in some way. Keep us posted! I'm routing for you and your little guy!!
    Last edited by AlexisFitzy; 10-04-2013 at 01:08 AM.

BPnet Veteran Coopers Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    Raise his hotspot to 90 degrees and put him in a smaller tub. That's a pretty big tub for such a little baby. Also feeding on the same day they shed... its a 50/50 chance they take it. Best thing to do would be to get his hotspot raised up and with a smaller environment (such as a 6qt or 12qt tub)... then leave him be for a few days and then attempt to feed him a hopper again. Bet he takes it
    Last edited by Coopers Constrictors; 10-04-2013 at 01:22 AM.
    Best Regards,

Jeremy Cooper
    Cooper's Constrictors

Website / Facebook

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast