Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

1 members and 3,162 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

Starting a 'business"

Is it as easy as opening a facebook page and selling babies?

Here are things I have already ticked off the typical list:
    1. Incubator
    2. Hatchling rack
    3. Food for hatchlings
    4. Breeding stock

Once breeding has taken place, eggs are in the "oven" or you have babies waiting is it just so simple as to begin selling?

Websites, for the majority, can be optional in my book. Many people are moving over to facebook and facebook groups to sell, so I'm no AS concerned about that though it would bean eventuality. I'm speaking more on...start up costs.

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Starting a 'business"

-business logo
    -trade marking of business name?

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to I-KandyReptiles For This Useful Post:

Kodieh (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    We're working on a name right now, and that will lead into a logo. May get my talented wife to draw something up.

As I learned, you're not allowed to trade mark or copy right business names. You can incorporate but then no one in your state can have it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 615 Posts
    i didn't know you were married. lol

on topic- i know a website isn't exactly necessary, but i didn't even have a facebook until a couple months ago, and i visited breeders non-FB webpages all the time. having an actual website and posting to non FB classifieds will have you reaching a much broader audience.. and i don't know what it is, (subconscious possibly) but something about a slick, well-designed webpage screams professionalism to me. if two people had no known reputation in the hobby and were selling a snake i wanted of similar quality, but one was selling on facebook alone and the other had a nice webpage, i'd be more likely to go with the one with the webpage. every little bit helps when you're running a primarily internet based business. my 2 cents.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSnakeGeek For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (10-02-2013),ROACH (10-02-2013)

Thanks

Re: Starting a 'business"

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeGeek View Post
    i didn't know you were married. lol

on topic- i know a website isn't exactly necessary, but i didn't even have a facebook until a couple months ago, and i visited breeders non-FB webpages all the time. having an actual website and posting to non FB classifieds will have you reaching a much broader audience.. and i don't know what it is, (subconscious possibly) but something about a slick, well-designed webpage screams professionalism to me. if two people had no known reputation in the hobby and were selling a snake i wanted of similar quality, but one was selling on facebook alone and the other had a nice webpage, i'd be more likely to go with the one with the webpage. every little bit helps when you're running a primarily internet based business. my 2 cents.
    Yes I agree a well put together web page is necessary. Looks more professional and they are not all that difficult. If you go with a web page please remember to keep it updated. One pet peeve if mine is "available" pages (on anything not just bps) that is way outdated, if I'm looking in 2013 I don't wanna see what was available in 2010.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (10-06-2013)

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well, you had me confused at "Business"

If its a legit business you need to register with the government and go through the proper channels to obtain business and tax numbers as well as import/export #'s if you choose to do that.

As far as a Facebook page and/or website - neither are going to do much for you unless you're going to maintain them. All to often I see Facebook pages with 5 photos and 17 friends and wonder.... is that really helping you? On that same note, a website with no SEO that sits on page 17 of Google... what's the point?

I'd focus on breeding stellar snakes, making connections with people through forums, expos and word of mouth. A business starts at the bottom, and the bottom doesn't include fancy websites, Facebook pages, logos etc. Invest your time and money into your operations, don't waste it on the fancy stuff until you've made enough cash to pad your bottom line.

Just my opinion. Either way - goodluck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickys_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Shadera (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Web presence is important, even if it's just a Facebook page for your business. The trick is to keep things in order/updated

Of course you have the option to incorporate or not incorporate. There are benefits and drawbacks for forming something like an LLC. A lot of it depends on how you want to be taxed and if you want your assets separate from your business in the event of you getting sued or something.
    1.0 Het Albino Ball Python (Oberon)
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python (Whiskeyjack)
    0.1 Albino Ball Python (Titania)
    1.0 Orange Albino Hognose (Randy)
    1.0 Het Albino Hognose (Sandy)
    0.1 Mex Mex Kingsnake (Ember)
    1.0 Thayeri Kingsnake (Mello Yello)

Thanks

Great points so far, guys.

Yes, Creepin. I'm married and I'm expecting a son too. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post
    Well, you had me confused at "Business"

If its a legit business you need to register with the government and go through the proper channels to obtain business and tax numbers as well as import/export #'s if you choose to do that.

As far as a Facebook page and/or website - neither are going to do much for you unless you're going to maintain them. All to often I see Facebook pages with 5 photos and 17 friends and wonder.... is that really helping you? On that same note, a website with no SEO that sits on page 17 of Google... what's the point?

I'd focus on breeding stellar snakes, making connections with people through forums, expos and word of mouth. A business starts at the bottom, and the bottom doesn't include fancy websites, Facebook pages, logos etc. Invest your time and money into your operations, don't waste it on the fancy stuff until you've made enough cash to pad your bottom line.

Just my opinion. Either way - goodluck
    Yes," business" was perhaps a bad way to word it. However, we don't necessarily have to incorporate and get tax numbers if it's under a certain profit amount and list it as hobby income on our personal taxes
    (I believe).

Of course we'd be going to shows and talking with people, I'd be making sure we had a good online presence. I'm fairly familiar with fauna posting, I forgot to mention that.

Besides drumming out a nice website, I'm not seeing a lot of start up costs.

Thanks for the advice guys! Keep it rolling!

Thanks
    Congrats on your upcoming son!!!
    Biggest start up is housing and the breeders

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    Congrats on your upcoming son!!!
    Biggest start up is housing and the breeders

Thanks! Yeah, I figured that would be the biggest cost and me and my potential partner have nice collections with a healthy mix of males and females.

He's got experience breeding and incubating, and I'm hoping to learn a lot as well as have a good time. It's just convincing said unknown wife that it's not any or very little start up costs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast