Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,413

3 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What could live in a 20 gallon long that is semi aquatic ?

Quote Originally Posted by MootWorm View Post
    Everything I've read on PDF says they're fine in a paludarium. They're not really semi aquatic, but they do sometime sit in shallow puddles of water. The biggest threat is that they'll fall into the water and drown. But if you have properly sloped sides and plenty of footholds, and the water's not too deep, they should be able to get back onto land safely. But PDF are pretty sure footed, and I haven't come across any instances in which they've fallen into the water.

If you're looking for an animal that uses both water and land portions, you're very limited in your options. Best bet would be a few fish plus a terrestrial animal on the land side.
    That could work what are my options for that

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Fire belly toads & newts are a good choice for a 20 gallon.

There are semi-aquatic lizards that do well in a terrerium with land and water such as caiman lizards, basiliks, and sailfin dragons, but they need larger enclosures and more for advanced keepers.

I would suggest a turtle, but they would outgrow a 20 gallon.
    Last edited by satomi325; 09-30-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks
    There are thousands upon thousands of options, design schemes, and materials you can use. I'd check out the dendroboard forum, they have a ton of DIY and step by step builds for paludariums. It'd take hours to write up all the steps here. But basically you'll need to build the terrarium, incorporate a filter and possibly a heater if required, plant/scape it, culture feeders and/or cleaning crews, test and retest everything to make sure it's leakproof and functioning properly. Plus you'll have to cycle your water to make it suitable for fish.

If it were me, I'd go darts. It's been years since I've kept them, bur they're wonderful. For fish, you'll definitely want smaller species as you have a limited amount of space. My all time favorites are endlers. I'd get a small colony of males, they're bright, playful and very hard to kill lol. And if you want to breed them, they're livebearers and pop out babies prolifically. I've got an endler tank going right now, I can't recommend them enough.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MootWorm For This Useful Post:

dillymann (09-30-2013)

Thanks

Re: What could live in a 20 gallon long that is semi aquatic ?

Here's a pic of male and female endler. The girl is the ugly one lol. Sorry for the crap pics, they're ridiculously fast.

Don't mind the dying plants

Here's a lyretail, I believe it's a hybrid

The males only get about 1" long. Perfect for smaller tanks

Thanks
    I know it's been said before but fire belly toads would my first option they use land and water are great eaters and are super cool looking mine were amazing just wash your hands after holding them there really toxic my eyes would burn like hell if i did not wash up after handling them. I guess fire belly newts would work but when i had them they were fully aquatic except for perhaps once i saw them out of the water. Among others leopard frogs and bull frogs might work a 20 gal is way to small for a bull frog works for leopards though at least for mine it did. I don't think pacman frogs would work well now i have never kept them but they seem to loaf in the dirt all day the ones i said all are at least kinda active if only sitting in plain sight. Hope i helped and again fire belly toads are your best bet.

Thanks

What could live in a 20 gallon long that is semi aquatic ?

Would newts and toads be ok together ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks
    Never had a newt, but I think it's unwise to mix amphibians. Some (most?) of them have toxins that can kill each other. Also, you've got to consider the size of your tank. 10 gallons, especially when most of it will be taken up by your land feature, hiding your equipment, etc, is not a whole lot of space. You'll probably end up with 5 gallons of water, tops.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: What could live in a 20 gallon long that is semi aquatic ?

I personally think the only time you can mix species is if they occur naturally together or have overlapped territories in the wild. Other than that, I'm not a fan of cohabiting multiple species together either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

MootWorm (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    What you could do is house a single male dwarf African bullfrog (Pyxicephalus edulis) in a setup like that. Pyxies are good swimmers and IMHO they're awesome animals.
    Last edited by Boosh96; 10-04-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks
    Gentlemen and or ladies. I give you my 20g fire belly toad vivarium. I spent more time with growing a pothos, amazon sword, and tall tropic grass than it did to build the tank. I also made the water feature. About 2 months of work went into it before i even considered putting frogs in it.

Currently in the process of setting up a 55g vivarium for frog breeding...

Theres 5 fire bellys in there

Last edited by Kris Mclaughlin; 01-26-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast