Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,965

1 members and 2,964 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Smile Dealing with getting but for the first time

Ok so a few days ago I was feeding my boa he's about 3ft and I bought him in January at a reptile show well everything was going ok with him and the other day I fed him when he was done I went to put him away like I normally do well for some reason I got nervous and kinda flinched well he went for my hand and bit me and I got nervous so I was trying my best to get him but he kept striking at me so I grabbed a small pole I had and he wrapped him self around it and I was able to get him in the cage well he ended up regurgitating and I've been meaning to get the mouse but he keeps watching me so finally today my dad helped me he grabbed the snake I was able to get the mouse out and my dad put him back well I decided to feed him cause I know he would be hungry so I grabbed him and I was nervous but he was fine when I got him so I fed him when he was done ( this is where I freaked out) so he wasn't really moving and I got nervous so my dad got a small rag and put it over him and kinda picked him up to show me it's ok so when I tried he moved and I just freaked I started shaking my dad grabbed him and he wasn't mad didn't even strike and put him away honestly I wanted to cry cause I don't want to be this nervous it's dumb he is my first snake but this is my first time being bit yes I did expect it I don't deny it'll happen again and I will be ok but this is the first time I just would like some advice I'm gonna let him rest for a few days then I will try again but I'm learning all this on my own so I do need some advice from people who've been through this I am aware he will be huge and everything I am prepared to keep this snake and care for him but this is my first bite you can't blame me for being nervous if anyone has some tricks or advice that can really help please let me know also I know it's not the best to handle him after feeding but I'm very gentle and he sits in my hand and I put him away slowly and I never had a problem but when I used the pole he was moving around to much and I leave him alone got a few days so just no judging :p I don't plan do get rid of him either not an option I will do anything to get over the fear I'm having

Thanks

Re: Dealing with getting but for the first time

Feed your snake in its regular enclosure. When you picked him up, and he bit you, it was because he was still in feeding mode. The stress of moving him and all after he had just eaten is probably why he regurgitated his meal.
    Last edited by kat_black181; 09-29-2013 at 08:01 AM.
    1.0 LB Hypo het. Trans Bearded Dragon-Dega
    0.1 Normal Ball Python-Semira
    1.0 Pied Ball Python-Sabien
    En route: 0.1 Spotnose 100% het. Pied

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kat_black181 For This Useful Post:

hpark14 (09-29-2013)

Thanks
    Feed him in his enclosure, that way you wont have to handle him afterwards. Getting bit still scares me, but I know it will happen, just dont know when. You dont need to get rid of him just need to relax.
    ~~~~~ROACH ~~~~~
    1.0 Normal
    1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Banana
    0.1 100% Het Piebald
    1.1 Het Lavender Albino
    1.0 Lesser
    0.1 Killer Bee
    0.1 Spider
    1.1 Pastel
    0.1 Butter Bee
    1.1 Mojave
    1.0 Black Pastel 100% Het Piebald
    1.0 Fire
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Lesser Bee
    0.1 Super Pastel
    0.1 Cinnamon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ROACH For This Useful Post:

hpark14 (09-29-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    Stop feeding him in a separate enclosure. Just feed him in his regular one and you don't have to worry about getting bit. There's no reason to feed in a separate enclosure, unless you just enjoy getting bit, which doesn't seem to be the case.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

hpark14 (09-29-2013)

Thanks
    Agreed... feed him in the enclosure there is no need to move them to a separate one. It's actually worse for the snake and you to be moving him for feeding.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

hpark14 (09-29-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    As everyone else has said, feed him in his enclosure. There is absolutely no need to move him. He will not become cage aggressive, he won't mistake you for food, and he won't turn mean. Those are myths. Be safe - feed him in his cage - and relax.

Believe me, when he's full grown, there is no way on this Earth that you are going to want to MOVE a 7-8 foot boa constrictor in full feeding mode.

** Also, please don't take this the wrong way - this is just some friendly advice. Please try not to type in bold - it is the typing version of yelling. And please do try to use punctuation - it makes things much easier to read.

And WELCOME to the forums! We're a friendly lot and we'll do our best to help you!
    Last edited by Evenstar; 09-29-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (09-29-2013),hpark14 (09-29-2013),Raven01 (09-29-2013),satomi325 (09-29-2013)

Thanks

I just worry with feeding him in the enclosure cause his substrate I worry it would get into him :b I've done this routine since I've had him and everything is ok till the other day and I don't move him a lot I just pick him up and support his whole body and place him in the cage he only regurgited cause I had to use a pole and he just moved way to much then normal but thank you I will start this up next week

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    As everyone else has said, feed him in his enclosure. There is absolutely no need to move him. He will not become cage aggressive, he won't mistake you for food, and he won't turn mean. Those are myths. Be safe - feed him in his cage - and relax.

Believe me, when he's full grown, there is no way on this Earth that you are going to want to MOVE a 7-8 foot boa constrictor in full feeding mode.

** Also, please don't take this the wrong way - this is just some friendly advice. Please try not to type in bold - it is the typing version of yelling. And please do try to use punctuation - it makes things much easier to read.

And WELCOME to the forums! We're a friendly lot and we'll do our best to help you!

thank you I will start doing this and also I'm sorry I'm using my phone for all this so my grammar is off since I had to type so much I couldn't make sure everything was correct and the bold too I didn't know it was on till you said something :b thank you tho I just worry with his substrate if I feed him in the cage I don't want him getting all sick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
    Feed him in his enclosure, that way you wont have to handle him afterwards. Getting bit still scares me, but I know it will happen, just dont know when. You dont need to get rid of him just need to relax.
    Thank you I just needed to relax it's my first time so I was nervous my friend owns a few snake and he's the one who told me to feed him separately or else I was gonna get bit whenever I opened the cage which scared me :b so of course my first snake I went with what he said but I will start that next week I just worry with his substrate I don't want to much of it getting into his if he eats

Thanks

Well you see, dealing with getting but the first time can be complicated for most. Make sure you love each other... oooo bit

On a serious matter ( Thank you for the laugh) .... Like others have said feed in the same enclosure. Evenstar makes a great point there is no way you want to do this when he is full grown at 8 foot. It just stresses him out on top of everything to.

It is also just a bad habit to get into generally because if you want to move on to giant snakes like burms or retics. Good luck with feeding in a separate enclosure with those.... you should just attempt to do it out side the ER because your going to get a nasty bite.
    Last edited by Diamond Serpents; 09-29-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    -Brian-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast